Returned Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MarkLeslie, Jan 22, 2018.

?

Has lifestyle changes helped you at all?

1. It has helped a lot

2. It seems to have helped a little

3. It hasn't helped at all

4. The opposite - it has become worse

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. MarkLeslie
      Insomnious

MarkLeslie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi there all!

Mark here, and first off I want to say thanks to everyone here for being part of this forum and to the person or persons who made it.

I can tell you, this whole experience has really made me aware of the suffering of people. One thing that just keeps going through my mind is the struggle you guys are having. I am so sorry for that. What blessing I have had that it only really became a major issue recently. Most of my life has been spent without it, but also without knowing the suffering of others. I feel guilty about that - and I should. But its not the kind of guilt that makes me self condemning - its that kind that makes me more compassionate - and a man without compassion is much worse than a man with tinnitus.

Anyhow, What I really appreciate is that you all are here and helpful to each other.

I want to give a little history because maybe it will help general information about this issue.

It happened just like it happened to many of you. Several years ago, I'd say around 20 or so, I happened to be resting one morning before work. (I am an HVAC/R service contractor, working for myself) It was then that I noticed a slight, constant ring. Because it was so steady, I assumed it to be mechanically or electronically derived. However, I noticed it didn't change when I went from one room to the other. Of course, being of the trouble shooting nature that I am (as you can tell by my "occupation"), I put a finger in my right ear and wouldn't you know it, the ringing sound was still there. Its like a constant high pitched tone.

Of course I assumed it would go away, but it didn't. It wasn't crazy loud or anything, very mild and faint. - But I did notice it and was reminded now and then. I went through some depression about it, but after reading about it, discovered the technique of "masking". So, that is what I did and it helped greatly.

Over the years, I either forgot about it or it went away. I won't go into detail, but I am pretty sure it basically went away. Certainly over the last few years it didn't appear to be effecting me at all. Its kind of weird, but I am just not sure it was totally gone, but if it was still present, I certainly didn't notice and it certainly wasn't effecting me.

One of the things I can say that has been different about the past few years is my lifestyle. I was almost totally vegan, little to no animal fat in my diet. I also have lived where I have been more active, doing more physical work and such. During this period absolutely no tinnitus. I must emphasize that my vegan lifestyle came to an end about 18 months ago. I didn't eat a lot of meat - but sometimes a few times a week. Then I would go on for weeks back to vegan. Recently, my food intake, though not with lots of meat, was filled with unsweetened dark chocolates, and then unsweetened Ice cream. I really like those klondike bars...

I really think its the combination of unsweetened chemical like Splenda and increased animal fat in my diet. Oh, and an increased sedentary lifestyle - all coincides with what is going on now. Clearly, I am taking steps to go back to the healthy lifestyle that I had prior to this.

The thing is, this tinnitus is really loud. Not like before, but much worse. When I wake up, its really loud and I start thinking about it and well, I am sure you guys know - it becomes a vicious circle. Anxiety, depression, wondering what it will be like later in life, how can I live like this - how can anyone live like this... I am sure you guys all know what I mean.

Some of the things that help me are and not in any particular order of importance: Old westerns! Oh yeah, only old westerns will do. Not those "wannabees" like, the ones they made in the 90s. No, I am talking the 50s and 60s.

My wife is very supportive and compassionate.

I have a LOT of hobbies. It helps to have things you enjoy to divert attention away from the issue. Some of my hobbies are Amateur Radio, electronics, repairing old radios and anything broken. I do my own repairs around the house, from plumbing to remodeling. I work on compact garden tractors, which I own a few of the older ones. The property I live on requires a good amount of lawn care. As of late I have taught myself to weld. Keeping busy seems to help a lot to take my mind off of it. My wife and I also like to garden - the organic vegetable kind.

And not least, I also trust in God. In spite of what has happened to me has not diminished my faith, but made me more aware of it. I didn't make this statement first because I know that this can alienate people. I don't like that at all. I think people need each other. This is a large part of the Christian faith, and in fact it is crucial to Christianity itself. One thing is for sure. We do have one thing that undeniably ties us together.

Thank you for your time and for all the contributions here.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. JRB

JRB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tried shutting off our security system when blasting
      JRB- I had tinnitus 10 years ago and Neuromonics totally removed it from my hearing. I just got tinnitus again by accidently setting off our security system, I tried neuromonics and it has failed to help. I'm currently in a LEVO therapy which seems to be helping. Has anyone got rid of tinnitus twice?

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. I am the same. The loving God hasn't necessary promised every one in the faith that they will have a smooth sailing in life free from illnesses. Sufferings are part of this life, and as Christians we can try to accept and understand them as they come, as in Romans 5: 3-5. I also enjoy a lot of hobbies and growing organic vegetable plus fishing are two of my fondest hobbies. Welcome again to the forum. Hope you will find TT forum useful to your habituation. I have ultra high pitch tinnitus plus severe hyperacusis and was overwhelmed by them initially with all the negative emotions you mentioned above. But today I live a normal, productive and absolutely enjoyable life. If my success story can be of help, you can read it from the link below. I also include the link to the most read success on this forum called 'Back to Silence' by IWLM. It has a simple but obviously effective method. Take good care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

4. JaimeNZ

JaimeNZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I developed T 18 years ago, and for the last four years have been A-symptomatic. I'm sure it was there if I really searched for it, but to all intents and purposes it was gone. But I went to a concert without hearing protection and now many symptoms are back although I don't believe I have hearing damage.

It's very stressful, and as other people have said on here, stress is the hardest thing to overcome. I know I can banish the T because I did it before. I have the same brain and it works in the same way it's just about time, finding the right technique and staying positive but it seems like an uphill struggle and I'm feeling weighed down by the feelings of stupidity - if I'd just worn earplugs ... sigh. Still, it could all be worse, right?

I have a lovely family, two young boys, and we live in a beautiful part of the world. I enjoy my job, my marriage is strong and we are planning an exciting holiday in May. I have many blessings to count and will focus on those.

Kia kaha, stay strong.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MarkLeslie
      Insomnious

MarkLeslie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I appreciate the work you put into solutions.