Right Ear Thumping

Discussion in 'Support' started by sdotosull, Mar 22, 2017.

1. sdotosull

sdotosull Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Hi all.

For the past month I have experienced random Thumps in my right ear. These occurred soon after my legs and then both my eyelids started to spasm. The thump generally just happens once, and will occur again soon after, or not occur for hours later.

I had this condition when I was younger, but then it affected both my ears and sounded more like a flutter. This eventually went away with antidepressants. The second time I had this, the thumps were set off from burps and hiccups. This also passed soon after.

Im wondering, is this an anxiety based condition? My eyelids are still twitching, and I assume one of my middle ear muscles must be as well. Any peace of mind or thoughts would be appreciated.

2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I have been experiencing this as well lately , these sort of rapid thumps . It comes and goes , havent spotted any connection to anything , anxiety or otherwise. I have T for a few years now , only recently started to get this thumping.
      Also the eylid twitching but that seems to have stopped for now.
      I am sorry to not be of any help , but thought I would chime in.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Get this now and again. The thumping is probably TTTS. Can be linked to anxiety. Annoying but harmless.

4. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      This is getting more frequent for me , reaching the point of being quite annoying.

5. StephAtkings
      Fine

StephAtkings Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi There, I have the same problem. It started with random thumps a couple times per day but now it goes into spasms for hours on end and effects both ears. Mine is also set off by a burp or hiccups too ! My ent says it's ear myoclonus. Basically muscle spasm which can be triggered by anxiety! I am on magnesium just now but if that does not work I am going to be given amtriptyline! We have a group on Facebook for this condition as it's so rare. Tonic tensor Tympani support group. We are a friendly bunch and here for support x

6. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      My ear would thump as well, however it would generally be if I tilted or moved my head a certain way. This started at the onset of my T. Eventually, this thumping went away. T still remains...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sdotosull

sdotosull Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Hi all.

No improvement here really. More frequent but the intensity isn't as bad.

Anybody have any insight as for next steps? My research indicates i can't really do much but try reduce my stress levels.

Is there a chance as I don't react to noise, this is not TTTS?

8. Sooner Arrow
      Cheerful

Sooner Arrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      All...

Just a thought here but have any of you checked your blood pressure? A number of years ago, I was having these thumping noises in addition to a then lower volume of T, so when I checked into my primary care doc's office I had pretty high blood pressure (200/160). After I reduced my BP with meds, the thumping went away.

9. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      @Sooner Arrow I did have mine checked and in the GP's words, "perfect".

• Like Like x 1
    10. Sooner Arrow
      Cheerful

Sooner Arrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Great! Well that's one less med you'll have to take and potentially have problems with. Although, it doesn't answer the thumping question. LOL!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sdotosull

sdotosull Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Bumping this.

Had this go away from July last year until the start of February this year. It has started to slowly creep back.

No sounds set this off - it's involuntary. Feels like middle ear muscles but could be the Eustachian Tube muscles I'm informed.

Hoping to hear other peoples insights and experiences if they come across this post.

12. Sarah101

Sarah101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      @sdotosull did this go away again for you? I'm having an awful time with it.