Ringing Ears After Fireworks in Japan

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kenneth23, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Kenneth23

Kenneth23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      train noise
      Hello All,

A few years ago, I was here before with ringing from a train horn and it completely went away.

On Saturday, I went to firework celebration here in Japan while wearing Hearos Extreme blue 33 dB ear plugs. The earplugs felt like they were working well. A little mushy feeling but blocking mostly everything. I wore these last year for this festival and there was no problem. However, this year I was much closer to launch area. As you can see in the picture.

Anyway, the ringing hasn’t gone away. I have strange pressure, popping when I yawn. Maybe I made my ears angry because Hearos blue earplugs are a little uncomfortable. I am taking NAD B3 and magnesium. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Did you have the earplugs fully inserted? A common issue is to not have them deep. You were smart to have your earplugs in.

Fireworks are extremely loud at 150 to 175 db.

https://www.academyhearing.ca/blog/news/Blog/2015/06/29/22:how-loud-are-fireworks

The fireworks were likely too loud for you, and being close was too much. Better to stay away, or at least be further back. Ear muffs on top of fully inserted ear plugs also would have been a good idea.

At this point, really need to protect from further noise exposure, and give this spike a chance to subside.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How long did it take for it to go away?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kenneth23

Kenneth23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      train noise
      Hi Digital Doc,

Yes, my ear plugs were deep. When I got home, I took them off in the mirror and I couldn’t see them unless I turned my head.

Wow! 170-175 dB! Is it possible protect against that noise? I am wondering if 33 dB ear plugs can
      block that level.

At the firework show, people brought there family, children, babies and even some jerk brought his dog. Terrible!
      My wife has ears of stone. She thinks it wasn’t that loud. Her ears of course are fine.

Yes, I am being careful around loud sounds. Hopefully this ringing will go down like before.
      Thanks for your comment.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      And then we get stories of people who say that they have always had tinnitus, for as long as they can remember...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kenneth23

Kenneth23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      train noise
      Hi Bill Bauer,

A few years ago I got hit by a train horn at point blank range because a drunk man almost fell onto the train tracks. The ringing finally went down after 2 1/2 weeks and many ENT visits. Three months later it was completely gone.
      Although it is gone, I feel this has increased my sensitivity to loud sounds.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Appleseed

Appleseed Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      What beautiful fireworks! I’ve never seen any with those colours. You were very close though, I think maybe I would have put some ear defenders on too.
      I guess people don’t know about tinnitus and think their children will enjoy the fireworks? It’s not something you think about until you have it really is it? When I was little my Dad had a record player and when my mum was out he’d play The Rolling Stones until the windows rattled. We’d dance around and pretend we were at a concert, it was a lot of fun! Maybe that contributed to getting Tinnitus but a lot of people don’t know and so you can’t blame them...a dog on the other hand is a bit strange! It’s not as if they will enjoy the pretty colours!
      I hope it settles a bit for you. If it’s any consolation, I wouldn’t have thought they were that loud either. Try not to panic ( easier said than done, I know) and give your ears a rest from loud things for a while if you can.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @Kenneth23

You were not that close to it, so the fireworks were less than a 175 for you unless you stood next to where they were being launched.

Above 105 dB, both earmuffs and earplugs should be used at once, although they only do so much. They won't adequately protect anyone's ears for sounds that loud.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kenneth23

Kenneth23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      train noise
      @Appleseed

Hi!
      Yes, Japan has some amazing colors in their fireworks. I actually really enjoyed them. It’s just too bad about the ringing. When I was child I went to so many firework shows. Maybe that’s why I am sensitive now. Yes, I think I need to relax and let My ears calm down.

@Digital Doc

Yes, my wife assured me that launch area was far away. It’s just hard to judge when they are over your head. I agree I think it was probably under 140db. I felt my earplugs where blocking well.
      Thank you for the info. I think just I need to give it time. Could be even the giant blue Hearos ear plugs irritated my ears.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      well... yes... right at the point of explosion, high in the sky.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5373909/

So, even for the techs at the launch site who will be closest, the noise is around 100 dB. Clearly fireworks are something which require earplugs, but you're not getting anything close to 175db. That would be more or less the same as being right next to a grenade when it went off, which would probably destroy your hearing but you wouldn't be around to worry about it.

edit: I see your subsequent post and clarification of this same information now (y)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kenneth23

Kenneth23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      train noise
      @linearb

Thank you so much for the information and link. I feel more at ease. It’s good to know that protection from firework’s noise level is possible.