Rosa Canina, Urtica Dioica and Tanacetum Vulgare Herbal Combination in Treatment of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by blamingeverything, Mar 16, 2022.

1. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      Pre-print:
      Therapeutic effects of Rosa Canina, Urtica Dioica and Tanacetum Vulgare Herbal Combination in Treatment of Tinnitus Symptoms; A Double-blind Randomized Clinical Trial

Now, can we find this combination in a pill in the US?

Background Tinnitus is defined as the perception of sound in the ear or head in the absence of an external stimulus for which we have no definite treatment. Neurotec® is a medication of herbal origin with IFDA approval. Previous studies showed the neuroprotective effect of Neurotec®. In this study we evaluated the effectiveness of Neurotec in improving tinnitus symptoms.

Methods This double-blind randomized clinical trial was performed on patients with tinnitus. Patients received Neurotec 100 mg capsules (BID) or placebo for three months. Pure tone audiometry (PTA) was measured at 0.5, 1, 2, 4 and 6 KHz frequencies. Using a Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI) questionnaire, tinnitus loudness, daily annoyance, daily life or sleep disturbance, daily perception and mood alteration were evaluated.

Results Finally, 103 (69 male and 34 female) patients with a mean age of 51.33±13.91 years were analyzed. There was no significant difference between the intervention (n=53) and the control group (n=50) regarding baseline symptoms before and one month after the intervention (P>0.05). While, they were significantly different three months after the intervention (P<0.05). The mean pure tone air and bone conduction were not significantly different between the control and the intervention group before and three months after the intervention at 0.5,1,2 and 4 kHz (P>0.05). The mean pure tone air conduction was not significantly different between the two groups before and three months after the intervention at 6 kHz (P>0.05).

Conclusion A three-month treatment with Neurotec Capsules beside patient education can effectively control symptoms of patients with tinnitus.

• Like Like x 3
    2. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      Thanks for posting.

To summarise, in the treatment group, VAS reduced from 7.19 to 4.92 after 3 months of treatment, as opposed to VAS reducing from 6.68 to 5.96 in the placebo group.

TFI from 58.22 to 37.52 in the treatment group.

TFI from 59.92 to 49.72 in the placebo group.

That is a very decent result.

The medication is called ‘Neurotec’.

Let’s get on it guys... start researching.

Caveat: Patients also received ‘baseline educational counselling’. I presume that is CBT. However, the placebo group also received this counselling too.

Interesting. Anyone find a supplier and I will try it as my tinnitus is severe again unfortunately.

The individual herbs are available to buy in the West but the Iranian Neurotec needs finding.

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
    3. Freerunner

Freerunner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caloric test
      So basically treatment with B vitamins is beneficial? I read that Neurotec contains just that.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    4. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      There are different Neurotec meds/brands from my perusal of the Internet.

The three ingredients here are not B vitamins.

• Like Like x 4
    5. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Neurotec M Capsule is a combination medicine used for the treatment of neuropathic pain. This medicine decreases pain by modulating calcium channel activity of the nerve cells.

• Informative Informative x 3
    6. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      I'm reading the ingredients on Neurotec M capsule: Gabapentin (300 mg) + Methylcobalamin (500 mcg).

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Looks like 3 different Neurotecs at play here - came across the same in my search this morning.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Ya I saw that too.

9. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

The study was done in 2016 and has not been peer reviewed? Is that common?

https://drsaeedi.com/

Here is the website and contact for one of the doctors involved in the study.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Freerunner

Freerunner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Caloric test
      Where can one buy this drug from? I would give it a go.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      I emailed Dr Saeedi a few weeks ago about this trial and Neurotec. I also included a link to this thread. I've not had a reply.

• Like Like x 3
    12. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      I checked - you can get all three of these on Amazon (but it appears that they must be purchased separately).

• Like Like x 1
    13. Mark662
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      Hi Dave

The only problem is the actual part of each plant that was used in the trial; root, leaf or flower. I'm tempted at a stab in the dark. Stew the lot up and take some each day.

From what I've read about most of these herbs is they have supposed anti inflammatory qualities. If that's the case, I've been here before with boswelia, turmeric etc. Maybe this combination is something different.

• Like Like x 3
    14. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      Anybody give it a go?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sounds like not...

16. Blix M. Paraglot

Blix M. Paraglot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since 90s - serious since 2000s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Larks' Tongues in Aspic, part one
      I have ordered bags of the three plant-based ingredients and a ball infuser from Amazon. I'll report back here in three months (or before then if there is any change in my condition).

I have chosen to infuse them in a tea because of this:

"Liquid extracts, including herbal teas, have faster absorption rates and are more easily digestible. According to Physician’s Desk Reference, your body absorbs 85 – 90% of nutrients in liquids within 22 to 30 seconds. However, your body only absorbs 10 – 20% of the nutrients contained in a pill."

Source: www.welleum.com article "Pills Vs. Tinctures Vs. Teas".

• Like Like x 6
    17. Blix M. Paraglot

Blix M. Paraglot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After drinking down my first cup (tastes like grass), I read:

"Tansy is UNSAFE when taken by mouth. It contains a poisonous chemical called thujone. People have died after taking as little as 10 drops of tansy oil. Deaths have also been reported from prepared tansy teas or powdered forms.

Short of death, tansy can cause restlessness, vomiting, severe diarrhea, stomach pain, dizziness, tremors, kidney or liver damage, bleeding, abortions in pregnant women, and seizures."​

Oh well, more fool me if it doesn't help my tinnitus / hyperacusis and kills me instead. It was just a pinch anyway.

If anyone else decides to try this, take care. (Honestly, I don't think anything could be as bad as Clomipramine, which I took exactly one capsule of, and had the worst night in recent memory. I'm a vegan with a very high fibre diet, yet I felt as if my nether regions were plugged with cement. I decided my hyperacusis was preferable to being poisoned.)

-Geoff

18. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Geoff, what happened with Clomipramine? Did you try it for tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    19. Blix M. Paraglot

Blix M. Paraglot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, based on the other thread here about several hyperacusis patients in Germany having success with Clomipramine. Those who could tolerate the side effects had their hyperacusis go into remission.

I took that one 20 mg capsule one night at bedtime. It hurt all over my body all night long and got no sleep. I also was sick to my stomach. In the morning I had the experience I described above, feeling like I was plugged with cement. I felt like I had poisoned myself for about 24 hours, from one pill.

The Rosa Canina, Urtica Dioica and Tanacetum Vulgare herbal infusion I drank yesterday, other than a brief spell of dizziness that passed within one minute, had no adverse effect on me. However, I am now wary about Tanacetum Vulgare.

20. Mark662
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      Back in May I added 50 g each of Tancetum vulgare (petals), Urtica dioica (root) and Rosa canina (hips) to 1 litre of vodka. I heated this to near boiling in my microwave a few times and stirred, then re-heated. I removed the container and after 3 days I added another 300 ml of vodka at room temperature, stirred and left for a few days before filtering it into a bottle. The extract was a dark orange colour. I took 2-3 ml of this each morning and night for a little over 6 weeks. It had no effect on my tinnitus, so I ceased taking it as I had run out of extract. If I felt it was making any difference, I would've persisted.

I must add that this combination had no ill effects on me whatsoever. No headache, stomach issues etc.

For the complete monograph of Neurotec, please see this.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. Vadimus

Vadimus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04, 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis, benzo withdrawal, SSRI
      I found a drug with this compound, I'll try to order it and give it a try. It's made in Iran.

neurotec1.jpg

neurotec2.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. ploughna

ploughna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      motor racing and power tools
      Did you find an online source that it can be ordered from?

23. Vadimus

Vadimus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04, 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately, I did not find an online store where I could order the drug. I live in a country bordering Iran, I have already ordered it from friends who travel there, they should bring it to me soon. I will write here about how the drug works, and if there is any real benefit.

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. Alberte

Alberte Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Vadimus, did you get the product?

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Vadimus

Vadimus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04, 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have ordered this product from 6 different people, but unfortunately I have not received it yet. We live in such an ugly world, where it is almost impossible to get a simple product from a neighboring country.

I am still waiting, not giving up hope.

While I am waiting, I decided to order all the components separately. I ordered Rosa Canina and Urtica Dioica from the Solaray brand, it was not a problem to find them. Tanacetum Vulgare was not available in European and American online stores, so I ordered it from Russia. I expect to receive all these components in a couple of days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Alberte

Alberte Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Vadimus, I wrote to the company Arvand Pharmed Pharmaceuticals who makes the product. They said they don’t deliver in Canada (where I live). They also said this product is useful in neuropathy but they don’t know if it is useful for tinnitus. I was surprised because of this study that used their product.

• Like Like x 1
    27. NikoD
      English

NikoD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      This is a good response to give. If it was snake oil, they'd claim it fixes everything. I like the degree of humility here.

28. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I don't think any herb or vitamin is the answer. Look at long-time posters on here who have tried everything.

Wishful thinking.

Also, studies out of Brazil and Asia seem to be bullshit in general!

• Creative Creative x 1
    29. Vadimus

Vadimus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04, 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is what I’m afraid of; of course, the reliability of research from a country like Iran is questionable.

Today I started taking all the components in separate capsules. I still haven’t received Neurotec from Iran. I'll keep you posted on the effects.

• Like Like x 1
    30. NikoD
      English

NikoD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Many compounds we see in pharmaceuticals are research derived from natural compounds, and/or molecular structure modified to be more potent. I wouldn't exclude herbals completely, however definitely approach with skepticism. NAC, Vitamin Bs and many known otoprotective 'things' are 'natural'.

• Helpful Helpful x 1