Safe Way of Using AirPods to Avoid Tinnitus from Becoming Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by bellecooper77, Mar 24, 2020.

1. bellecooper77
      Bookworm

bellecooper77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello everyone, I hope you are staying well and healthy.

If you don't know me, I was pretty active on here around a year ago when I first got tinnitus. I'm 19 and for the most part, I have habituated to the noise, only really hearing it in very quiet rooms or when I go to sleep.

I saw a post on here that said that AirPods are better than regular wired headphones so I thought I would give them a try. For the most part, my tinnitus still isn't bothering me as much as it was a year ago, but there has been a spike for sure since I got risky and started listening to my music louder (I can tell since the rain machine I listen to at night can't cover it at the usual volume that it used to) I'm just waiting for it to go down again since a) that's what usually happens, I have a spike and it goes down, and b) I've recognized that I can't keep doing damage to my ears. My tinnitus isn't caused by ear damage, the doctors said that I actually have better hearing than normal for my age!

However, being a college student in this time, I was sent home to do online schooling and the only way that I can seem to focus to get work done is by having headphones in all the time since my household right now consists of my entire family sheltering in place. I know that many people on here strictly advise against using any headphones at all, but it's kind of something that I need to do in order to focus and do well in school.

So, does anyone have any suggestions, other than don't turn up the volume so loud, in order to safely use my AirPods?

2. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      It will go down again until one day it doesn't. Don't assume that the pattern will persist. Damage is cumulitive and eventually you'll raise your baseline T permanently if you keep pushing it.
      Then don't.
      But you've just admitted you've been doing damage. If loud music is spiking your T, then it's most likely been caused by noise. You clearly have sensitive ears. Just because you can ace a standard audiogram doesn't prove that hearing damage isn't the cause. You could have damage at the upper high frequencies that don't normally get tested (over 8 kHz). Even tiny miniscule damage, at any frequency, can be responsible for T in sensitive ears. Also, look into hidden hearing loss. The state of hearing care is still in the dark ages. Most doctors, ENTs, and audiologists are clueless and aren't up to date on current research.
      Surely there's another way to focus on and get your school work done.
      I don't know what other suggestions we could possibly have for you. You sound like you're going to use them regardless, so keeping the volume at a common sense level is really the only thing there is to suggest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I think the only way to make sure you're being safe is to control volume and exposure time. Make sure to not only not turn them up loud, but set volume limits on your phone so you don't accidentally blast your ears.
      Make sure to give your ears a break in between listening sessions.

I personally don't see the difference between AirPods and corded headphones as you are basically injecting sound right into your ears either way.

Also unless your doctor did an extended audiogram, a doctor saying you have "perfect hearing" or "above average" hearing literally means nothing. Countless people on this forum have been told the same thing, including myself, despite me knowing my damage came from noise.

I know where you're coming from as headphones got me through college and countless study sessions (pre-tinnitus), but if you feel like your T gets aggravated by music you're really playing with fire. If your family is overly loud, perhaps ask them to be more courteous to when you are studying or use ear plugs.

Maybe even consider a small bluetooth speaker if you need music to get in the zone.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There is no way that is safe. You are taking a risk. As long as you are ok with doing the time (a possibly permanent louder tinnitus), by all means do the crime (wear AirPods).

• Agree Agree x 3