Scared to Death — Afraid of My Tinnitus Being Permanent or Getting Worse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Adam A., Jun 15, 2019.

1. Adam A.

Adam A. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone,

I've had tinnitus and a fullness sensation in both of my ears (as well as a possible hearing loss, not sure) for the last 3 days and am terrified of it being permanent, or of it being a symptom of some sort of progressive condition that I should get checked out for.

The ringing started the other day when I was trying to go to sleep. I went to bed pretty late, around 5 AM. And when I lied down I thought I might be hearing something in my ears. But, I just sort of shrugged it off and fell asleep. Two hours later I awoke and the ringing was louder. And so my panic began.

The ringing hasn't been overwhelmingly terrible exactly. Sometimes, I even think it's gone away when I'm in conversations with people or am watching a movie. I have to listen closely for it to realize its still there. However, the loudness of the ringing and the pressure also fluctuates. And sometimes it does become very hard to ignore.

I am afraid to death of this being permanent or it getting worse.

I went to Urgent Care yesterday to see if there might be earwax blockage in my ears that I thought might be causing it, hoping it was that simple. But the doctor said it wasn't, and that it was likely just allergies causing my tinnitus.

My dad, who is a pharmacist and who also suffers from tinnitus (which he attributes to him shooting guns when he was younger without protection) also says that my tinnitus is likely allergy related and that there is really nothing that I can do about it other than take Loratadine and wait it out.

I am trying my best to remain calm and to believe that the tinnitus is indeed simply allergy related. But I am a hypochondriac and so of course I have also been scouring the internet trying to see if the tinnitus was caused by something else in my life, something more serious.

I do sometimes go to clubs where the music is played really loud. A few weeks ago I sat right to a speaker and I actually had to move away from it after it started to hurt my ears. Additionally, I was at a Karaoke bar 24hrs before the tinnitus began where it also wasn't exactly quiet. So I'm thinking maybe it could be sound related?

However, I have also been having ear trouble with my left ear prior to experiencing my tinnitus. For the last few months, my left ear has been changing pressure; sometimes feeling open, sometimes full, sometimes letting out air when I breathe out. And I have been fearing that there is a problem with my Eustachian tubes, which may be linked somehow to my current tinnitus?

But I don't know. I've never experienced anything like this before. And I just don't want to lose my hearing.

So my question is, how long should I wait before seeking further medical attention? Or should I even wait at all? Should I go and see an ENT as soon as possible? Or could it really just be allergies causing these symptoms?

Thank you for reading.

Edit: I also had a bout insomnia the week and half before the tinnitus appeared.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If I was in your shoes, I'd wait 0 days.
      In the meantime, give your ears a rest (no loud music/noise/sounds, etc).

Good luck!

It could be, but it could also be something else, where time is of the essence when it comes to treatment.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      See a doctor again, and this time tell them this.
      In all likelyhood I believe this is the cause.

This has nothing to do with allergies, ETD or anxiety either. The ear is damaged because of dangerous noise levels.

(show this to a ENT or GP )

noise injury and it's symptoms
      https://www.hear-it.org/acoustic-shock

noxacusis (noise induced pain)
      https://www.statnews.com/2016/02/18/noise-induced-ear-pain/

hidden hearing loss

Unraveling Hidden Hearing Loss

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The inner ear is a mysterious organ. Science still has a poor understanding on how noise can damage the ear. It's way more complicated then just hair cells dying (even though that's still true). The middle ear and E-tubes and 3 tiny bones could be damaged by noise as well based on what people describe (ear crackling after a concert or muscle spasms in their ear) We don't know know exactly whats going on because the field has little research. A general rule of thumb, if a condition is not life threatening, the medical world will not give a fuck meaning a cure or even treatment could be unlikely.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adam A.

Adam A. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the responses. I'll be seeing an ENT as soon as possible.

6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Sounds like a delayed spike from recent noise exposures. See an ENT or not, the most important thing is to stop these repetitive exposures.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Your T will likely eventually fade.

Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

8. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      and make sure they know about the loud speakers at a club causing noise induced pain.
      That crucial element will prevent you from being misdiagnosed.

I don't believe most doctors misdiagnosis people, I think most people aren't giving doctors information about what caused noise induced pain. Please keep us updated on your case. Hope you get better, and you probably will based on what is observed on this forum.

9. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Be sure to write down all the questions you want to ask the ENT because you will forget or be pressured into only having a fifteen minute allotment time for your appointment. Make every minute count.

It could be allergy related according to the first quote above? So maybe the ENT will be able to diagnose the symptoms.

You will be okay @Adam A.

10. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      See an ENT. Don't want to scare you, but my sudden hearing loss (right ear) and tinnitus, AND hyperacusis all happened very suddenly, at night, 7 months ago, for no apparent reason. And apparently it is permanent. Way too early to panic, but do go and see a ENT soon. Keep us advised.

11. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Newbies have a tendency to over-complicate the plot and search every avenue for answers: however, more often than not, noise exposure is the culprit. Reading your story (and background), my two cents is that it is not allergy related in your case.

When it comes to loud events, there is a go-with-the-flow attitude in this world, and hence people will unknowingly abuse their ears because… well, because… everyone else does, right...?

• Agree Agree x 2