Screeching and Whistling Caused by Fans and Car Tires

Discussion in 'Support' started by Stanlex, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Stanlex
      Wtf

Stanlex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2019 - mild, 03/2021 - the real shit
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something that cannot be identified by 21st century tech
      Everytime a car passes by I hear a whistling sound. The same sound that I also hear when a fan is running. I also hear some high pitched sounds from computers and so on.

Now. What the hell is this? I noticed these things just after I got a massive tinnitus increase.

I'm 95% sure I didn't experience noise trauma. The tinnitus and these other effects started a day after I used headphones for few hours, on 35 dB (lowest volume), 7 weeks ago. I know that C-spine can cause tinnitus, but I don't know about sound distortion.

Is it a form of hyperacusis that I am oversensitive to certain frequencies and the brain plays them on a higher volume than they really are? Or what? It drives me crazy.

What is the prognosis with this? Will it eventually fade after a few months? It hasn't moved a bit since onset.

I don't feel I have pain from hearing. Just that the sounds are distorted. I got to the point where I don't know if a particular sound is real or just an effect of distortion.

2. Zach777

Zach777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly Cisplatin and Unknown Causes
      I have this as well every since my hearing issues started 3 weeks ago. Amongst many other symptoms I too have a whistling sound caused by certain sounds. For me it's mostly fans, car engines, and faucets that will trigger the whistle. Once those things are turned off then the whistle stops. My guess is that something in my auditory system or within the inner ear has been damaged from something and so it creates different tinnitus tones based on certain frequencies coming into the ear. That's my guess anyway, I am thinking it will heal overtime.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. TheHonoredOne

TheHonoredOne Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine
      I get the same whistling distorted sound when I am in the car and it's driving on a road. The road and wind noise makes that weird sound.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      Same here, whistles and beeps. I think it's hyperacusis combined with recruitment. Has not healed in 3 months, in fact, it's only got worse after exposure to noise (MRI, restaurants, 30 dB headphones for work).

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stanlex
      Wtf

Stanlex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update.

It is still there. Not sure if it got better.

The thing is that I probably know the cause. Apart from tinnitus and this I have massive bilateral ear pain that is most likely due to a TMJ disorder. The pain started when my tinnitus started, but got worse and worse over the months, however my ears are completely fine and no infections are inside. Most likely there is some TMJ imflammation that affects the eardrum, therefore the sound alteration. I guess that it has also something to do with the tinnitus.

I started to wear a TMJ splint only three weeks ago, and the plan is to wear it for 6 months. I am very hopeful it will help with that.

6. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Based on what you are experiencing, I think it's inner ear damage (inner hair cells or synapses). Noise damage is cumulative, it's how I got my first distortions, similar to yours (beeps/whistles/hums over broadband sound).

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stanlex
      Wtf

Stanlex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have never survived any noise damage. This is most likely not my cause.

8. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, something caused it. I have literally the same symptoms, and then some. For me it's nerve damage in the cochlea from noise.

Other people have speculated that the COVID-19 vaccines may cause sensitivity to sound, so then you can get noise damage from lower exposure. I'm unsure myself, I think we need more data.

9. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Cyclobenzaprine and a basic anti-inflammatory would quickly tell you if this is your problem.

You need a 3d x-ray at an orthodontist to rule TMJ out for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stanlex
      Wtf

Stanlex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not vaccinated, never contracted COVID-19 and my problems started when I was locked at home for 9 months, without using headphones or other loud things. I have also never been to any concert before that and that's all basically.

• Informative Informative x 1