Security Door Alarm Exposure — without Plugs — I’m in Unchartered Waters

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rust, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (2008 initially) 2015 as I know it today
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initially stress, but noise exposure made it worse
      It’s me (again)

I’ve had the worst past week in a few years, with three big unprotected exposures in 8 days.

Last night was the worst. It was what I’ve always thought of as one of my (post-tinnitus) worst nightmares - an unprotected prolonged loud exposure. This hadn’t happened post-pinnitus before last night, and it has psychologically unearthed me - I feel like I’m now in uncharteted waters.

I was in IKEA returning some goods to the cashier, as I was handing her the receipt and talking to her the stock room security door alarm went off about 8 meters away.

I put my fingers over my ears, but then felt awkward with her so I took my fingers out and fumbled around panicking trying to get my earplugs out my pocket and into my ears. This left me about 10 seconds with both ears being unprotected.

It was high pitch and loud, but not ear splittingly loud like some alarms. Kind of halfway between a loud piercing domestic smoke alarm and a shop door tag detector. I’m not sure how loud in decibels. Maybe 95-100? It was uncomfortable but not painful.

Despite this, both ears have now substantially spiked. Both ears are ringing much loudly and are also higher pitched.

I got no sleep last night, and this is the first time in a few years that I’m really panicking and scared again. I feel like this could destroy me. The horrible thoughts that I thought I’d got over are returning.

I wish I just put my fingers in my ears the whole time and didn’t worry about acting strange around the shop assistant.

Any thoughts?

Anyone know how loud these alarms are? They’re the ones shops have on the stock room doors with a keypad. (This one was IKEA).

Thank you
      R

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm in the same boat @Rust. That's why I'm awake so early. We can only hope for the best now. :huganimation:

3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Rust, while I was reading your post, I thought to myself that this could happen to any one of us...at any time. That truly sounded like a nightmarish situation. It's happened to me as I'm sure it's happened to others. Good of you to write about it. Spikes usually subside in time. Looked up emergency door alarms. They can range from mid 80s to over 100 decibels.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Perhaps the best thing to do would be to just run away. One could always come back in five minutes, or lose a couple of hundred dollars and not come back...

Having said this, there is still a very high chance that after a couple of days or months this spike will fade back to baseline.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the message @Michael B. Did it recover for you after you experienced it?

It's hard to say, but I don't think it was above 100db, since anything that loud really hurts me.

I will update in a week or so with how I get along.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer – I really should of run away! I panicked and fumbled around. My girlfriend told me a good lesson that I will do from now on, which is to put my fingers in my ears no matter what or who it is. I just need to learn not to worry about what other people think.

I really hope this spike will recover, it's really thrown me of kilter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My experience, as well as the many experiences posted on this forum seem to indicate that it is not easy to get a permanent spike (of course one Still ought to do everything one can to prevent temporary spikes). Let's hope for the best...

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks buddy! Will let you know how I get along :)

• Like Like x 1
    9. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Rust, it always does.