Seeking Help: Water from Shower Stream Causing Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by kmohoruk, May 9, 2016.

1. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has gone through what I'm currently going through right now.....

This morning I went for a shower and while I was showering, some water got into my ears from the shower and splashed in.

No big deal right? Well I got out of the shower and went downstairs to make breakfast and all of a sudden I got a real fullness feeling in my ear, it felt like there was something in there and my tinnitus all of a sudden started fluctuating a lot.

It stuck around for a bit and thought that I just had some water in my ears, and it was my TMJ issues acting up.

Anyways, over the next couple of hours it started to feel a bit better. I tired moving around my ear lobe to help "massage the water out" which seemed to help a bit. However, after going outside for about ten min to help load some things in my dads car (it was a bit windy today). I came back in and my T was quite spiked and has stayed like that for the past hour and a bit.

I've had issues with water in my ears before and it usually resolves. But this is really weird.

Does anyone have any advice? Could water from the shower that splashes in there cause damage?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated :)

2. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      NO WAY...

Just let your ears dry out, you will be fine.

Louie
      Quietatnight

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Thanks @quietatnight , I have TMJ too and sometimes these achy jaw muscles mimic worse things like ear infections or other things haha.

Hopefully a good sleep tonight (a little advil night time) will help me get a good sleep and it should feel better by morning and the spike should simmer back down.

Spikes are weird.

Thanks again!

4. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Yes Spikes are weird, and maybe your TMJ may be effecting your tinnitus, even if we stretch it, and say that the sound of the shower messed with your tinnitus a bitt. But a little water going into your ear ? Sorry I just can't see that being a problem.

As for taking advil, that may help, but I really think that a good night sleep is still going to be the best thing for you.

Good Luck

Louie
      Quietatnight

5. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      I wear foam earplugs (3M EarSoft) in the shower and for the blow dryer afterwards. Then they come out. Just be careful pulling them out because the water can cause them to really seal. I slowly pull them off to one side, then out as the air gets past the plug so I don't stress my eardrum.

George