Severe Tinnitus/Head Buzzing Caused by Blow to the Back of Head. Please Help Me...

Discussion in 'Support' started by lordterrin, Sep 16, 2020.

1. lordterrin

lordterrin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Impact to the back of the head
      I need some help folks. About 6 years ago my wife was picking up something off the carpet, and as she stood up she hit the back of her head on a granite countertop and blacked out. She has been dealing with a severe "tinnitus" since then, which has affected every single facet of her life. I do not say this lightly, but we've had many conversations about whether or not it would be better to just end it.

The difficult part for me, (besides the immensely difficult part of trying to comfort someone who is going through something that I cannot share in), is that 99% of the information I find online seems to be related to the largely umbrella term of "tinnitus", but the information contained therein is related to a ringing in the ears that is caused by loud noises. Many of the treatments listed (which we've tried..) have not done anything because I believe the source of my wife's "tinnitus", which is more of an "entire-head-buzzing mixed with loud ringing" is not of that nature, and I don't know if has a separate name, per se, that I could use to find more information about the specific symptoms my wife has and maybe how to better combat them. I've tried Googling this with limited success.

We have some Neuromonics ear pieces that she wears each night - these help a tiny bit by creating a sound in her ear that helps her sleep, but without Xanax each night she cannot sleep - she will lay there for 8 hours. We also use a "tinnitus cocktail" that is meant to help - I believe it's mostly Niacin, Lipoflavanoids, and Lysine. The main tool is lots of neck and head massages. When I do this, it helps, and she has a bit of relief.

Saying "my wife wants to die" to all the everyday normal people in our lives is impossible - nobody understands the level of torment - it is hell on earth, and it brings me to tears to have to witness this. I am looking for anything that I can do to help, and any way for me to find more relevant information to THIS specific type of tinnitus. I don't want my wife to die... and after this many years I am just so afraid that we're reaching an inevitable conclusion.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      People say Nortriptyline works for their head tinnitus. I believe @glynis had a good experience.

3. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      Has your wife had any tests done? Audiology test, MRI or anything? And does she have any other symptoms or health issues?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lordterrin

lordterrin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We went to an audiologist several years ago - that's where the neuromonics device came from. I do not recall whether or not we've done an MRI, (or what we would be looking for with one). She has a host of other health issues - asthma, lots of allergies (peanuts, sulfur, dust, mold). I think after trying one thing after another, we are both just losing hope... we feel like anything we come across is a snake oil salesman because nothing seems to help ever. I have read tons of posts on here, but finally decided to join in and seek help from others.

What can an MRI show? How can it help?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lordterrin

lordterrin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Looking into this now. Thank you very much!

6. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
    7. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      It might show if there is any swelling or other damage that is causing the continuation of the tinnitus. Also it might be helpful if the MRI images the cervical spine as well since you say head and neck massages help. She might have discs out of place that are pressing on nerves that exacerbate her tinnitus. It might be helpful to see a neurologist.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Let me just state how lucky your wife is to have you to stand by here in her darkest hour.

Most people on here gave up on trying to explain this horrid condition to their friends or family, as most of them are simply unable to comprehend, that something this horrible can even exist in this day and age.

Unless they have been kidnapped and brutally tortured around the clock with no hope of ever escaping, most people have no point of reference they can use here.
      You are obviously a person of character and great compassion, which is very rare to come by in relation to this evil, all destroying condition.

Unfortunately tinnitus does not have a separate name, but it most definitely should and this is a big problem for those, whom are affected the most.

The whole tinnitus umbrella is very confusing to the outside world at the best of times, because it lumps together the "I can only hear it in a quiet room" tinnitus with the "I can't even hear myself think" types of tinnitus.

This is a very big part of the reason, why we currently have no cure or a treatment available.

There is no limit to how bad Tinnitus can get.
      None.

Your wife is suffering from severe/catastrophic tinnitus and it is the equivalent to a life threatening medical emergency.
      Unfortunately a medical emergency that will be downplayed and even ridiculed by most medical so called professionals.

I'm in the exact same boat as your wife and so are many others here.
      Words are unable to describe the waking nightmare of the inescapable 24/7 torture with no possibility to sleep or relax and no way out, except for one.

It is the equivalent of being stuck in a permanent 24/7 high alert and people are simply not built to withstand this level of torture for very long.
      The point of suicide is usually reached, when the person is completely exhausted both physically and mentally.

I hold the opinion, that this is by far the worst thing that can happen to a human being, because anything this intense should have a quick death attached to it.
      This is about the same level of terror that a trapped animal must feel after it activates the iron jaws by stepping on it somewhere in a forest.
      Instinctively knowing that it is over.
      Just waiting to die, as it experiences the highest levels of torture and anxiety.
      That is the equivalent of severe tinnitus.

If there is any good news here, your wife has obviously experienced some kind of a physical trauma to her brain or spine and unlike the tinnitus caused by acoustic trauma, this one could be reversible.
      I would try many different chiropractors and/or osteopaths.
      I would get her scanned and re-scanned.
      I would go to the best doctors in their fields as far as these types of injuries are concerned and get second, third and even fourth opinions.
      Leave no stone unturned and she just might find something, that will help her.

I wish I could give you better advice, but just like most people at this level of severity, I wish to be dead every single second of every single day.
      I guess I'm just hoping for some kind of a miracle at this point, which is why I'm still here.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am so sorry that happened to her. Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy? That has helped a lot of people, including myself (although I still struggle when it's particularly loud). There's a great video on YouTube that gives the techniques, entitled "Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for Tinnitus Distress." It's put out by the Anxiety and Depression Association of America. One commenter called it "...simply the best, most thorough, source of accurate, helpful information regarding Tinnitus Distress, for people in need, and/or those who want to learn more about it, currently available in one place." I hope that will help. Best regards to both of you!

• Like Like x 1
    10. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @lordterrin Please have your wife see a concussion trained physician. I would not hesitate as many treatments are available.

Limited use: cell phone, iPad, iPhone, computer, or TV)
      NO strenuous activities or physical exercise.
      NO driving.
      Limited reading, writing, homework, or studying (anything involving concentration).
      Often mentioned by concussion doctors - but research for self. NO ibuprofen (Advil), aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is ok. DO not take within 4 hours of seeing a concussion trained physician.
      Stay in dimly lit, quiet rooms.
      Eat a light and healthy diet.

11. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I'm not an expert, but as someone said you might look into an MRI, call a "functional neurologist" to see if that is something they can help with, or perhaps a regular neurologist, or look into Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS). I wish I knew exactly what to tell you. :(

12. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      World famous guitarist Al Di Meola suffers from the same type of tinnitus.

I actually emailed him once and we talked on the phone. he hit his head when he was 7 years old and he got tinnitus which got worse when he got older but he still travels and performs.
      https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...tus_diagnose__how_it_affects_his_playing.html
      Has your wife's tinnitus stayed the same level since the accident?

If your wife has no noise sensitivity (meaning it is ok to have an MRI) then I suggest getting in touch with Sonimodul clinic in Switzerland, they have a high tech ultrasound treatment for people who can take an MRI for a couple hours... Cost is about $40,000. I would give it a shot as a last resort.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      @lordterrin

Did she start having any other physical issue? I don't mean issues from before. Did she have an audiogram and if yes, did it show sudden hearing loss? And was she dizzy or did she/does she have any unspecific vision/balance issues or nausea or light or smell sensitivity, or any other unusual physical issue?