Shhh, Nobody Move...

Discussion in 'Support' started by ChrisJ, Sep 15, 2015.

1. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I woke up this morning and I thought my T was gone! I listened for it and then, in the background very faintly there it was struggling for dear life.

I am scared to do anything. I don't want to make it worse. I have no idea how something this torturous could suddenly go down like this. I am afraid it's temporary and I am going to get my hopes up only to be disappointed.

I've been doing Oxygen Therapy (today will be number 15) and the TENS machine every night for about 90mins for the last 3 days or so. I have it on a low voltage at two different sites which I alternate, I also listen to music like this lovely piece Modal Music for Tinnitus which I find very soothing. I play it below my T volume according to the specifications used in the TRT literature.

I have also been doing neck and jaw exercises and taking a a lot of vitimins like B12, Magnesium, NAC etc. But I honestly don't think it's the vitamins.

I don't want to jinx it I just had to tell someone. I don't know about my hyperacusis I don't dare go outside yet. It's made my life hell and I really don't want it to go back.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Chrisj,

How wonderful, and I hope it lasts! It sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things, and it's hard to say which treatment might have caused the silence, but I would think it could be the oxygen therapy.

Keep us posted on how you're progressing, and I hope the rest of your day is silent, too.

Best wishes for more silence,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks so much Karen. This forum has been one of the best treatments, it's a good supportive atmosphere and all the treatment ideas are well laid out and rank highly on Google which is how I found out about much of this stuff. I will be sure to become a benefactor.

I am at the O2 Therapy centre now, I was able to walk down a busy street without ear protection for first time in 3 months, so my Hyperacusis is down too. I really hope this is not temporary.

Thanks again.

4. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You had tinnitus since 1998?

5. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Mine has done the same thing a few times. For me it's a rare occurrence. Hoping yours will keep?

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, I just updated my profile to make it clearer. I had pulsate T since at least the age of 8 when I started having operations on my ears because of chronic ear infections. As far as I knew everyone could hear their heart beat in their head so I never mentioned it and just got used to it.

In June this year I got a new Tinnitus which is high pitched, very intrusive and terribad Hyperacusis with Loudness threshold of about 60dB. Both Ts are in the left ear and may be connected, I don't know for sure.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hope so. What treatments have you tried? Is it high pitched like mine?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey @Karen @Sailboardman I just read your posts over here.

Have you tried listening to this?
      Modal Music For Tinnitus

This is what I was playing last night before I went to sleep. I had it on repeat for about an hour. I ripped it to MP3 using Clip Converter. It's the best thing I have found so far at masking/suppressing my T and both you sound like you have similar symptoms to mine.

I also had it on during oxygen therapy today using Tinnitus Pro for iPhone. It does crazy things to my T and head (crazy in a good way) when I move the notch around in the affected ear. There's like a sweet spot where if I get it just right the T disappears altogether while it's playing. That doesn't happen with any other sound file or music so far. My T simply gets louder over any external noise.

xcjbJ2h.png

• Like Like x 1
    9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Chrisj,
      Great to hear you had a good day and fantastic news walking down a busy street with no ear protection.
      You should be so proud of yourself getting out too and you put a big smile on my face.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    10. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Like I said to u few days ago, Oxygen Therapy is beneficial. I think that no matter for how long someone has T, and what is sound of it, Oxygen Therapy is gonna be helpful. Of course best thing is to go earliest as possible, but it is always good!

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    11. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @ChrisJ,

Thanks for posting the sounds for us! I'll try it this evening to see if it helps my tinnitus.
      Just to be clear, did your ringing and pulsating tones BOTH subside as a result of the oxygen and sound therapy?
      If so, that's great! You're onto something!

I hope it continues for you.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Only the ringing has gone down, I don't care about the old pulsate one, I didn't even know it was a malady until I found this forum, I actually notice it more now lol

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Update: my T is still down but for some reason my hyperacusis is up and I have a splitting migraine. There's not rhyme or reason to this condition. I am going to stop the TENS unit and just finish off the O2 therapy; one treatment at a time.

Thanks for your support everyone.

14. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Whatever you do, never listen for it when you have an impression that it's gone. Listening for it tells the neurons in your brain that the T is important to you. "Oh, it's important? Well, then, let's ratchet it up a bit so she knows the tinnitus is still here!"

In the last couple months I awakened many times to barely existent T, and the first thing I do when I notice that is I shift my attention to something pleasant and try to conjure up good memories or imagine something good happening. The T eventually asserts itself as I emerge into full alert consciousness and physical activity, but for a few minutes each morning it leaves me alone. Unfortunately, I can't lie there in a semi-conscious stupor all day, so the effect doesn't last.

Thanks for the modal music and app reference. I can't stand masking because to me it's noise on top of noise, but will take a look at it just in case.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Deep down I know you're right. It's putting that theory in to practice. I have always had ADHD and obsessive thoughts. Even before the T I would notice everything in my environment. I needed silence and distraction free room to ever get anything done.

I will keep trying. Thank you for your kind words and advice. That music by the way is the only one I can stand so far.