Shooting Range — Instant COMPLETE Hearing Breakdown: Things Are Now Improving, But...

Discussion in 'Support' started by talerco, Aug 21, 2020.

1. talerco

talerco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      shooting range
      As brief as I can... 70 years old. I'll say normal hearing loss for my age. No hearing aids. Probably say 'what' more than I should. No life function problems. No meds. No medical problems.

Went to shooting range (second time ever) and looking back probably went into room while putting ear plugs (3 'prong') in. As soon as I entered heard REALLY load bang. I think damage happened right then. Shot for 30-40 minutes. That was exactly 1 week ago.

COMPLETE hearing breakdown. NOTHING but static. Could not make out anything at any loudness level. Read online and went to emergency doctor who agreed that nothing could be done. No visible damage to ear drum. No inflammation. See what happens.

Over the last week it has improved every day. I would say my level of hearing, volume wise, is back to normal. TV on to same setting. BUT, people still sound a lot like Daffy Duck and at that volume level it sounds like I'm in a tunnel... with a little static in the background. Can't discern words real well even if volume is OK. Conversation is very hard as I can hear at a good volume but not make out the words - well.

I still don't really know what people mean by 'ringing in the ear' but when I hiccup / burp / sometimes swallow it sounds like an old phone ringing in a very long tunnel. Not horribly annoying but a symptom.

QUESTIONS ~ Will this continue to improve? I'm an optimist and it 'feels' like it will but...

~I think I read the 'ring' is due to something going on with my eustachian tube. Is this an indicator? Again can I expect further improvement after a week? Anything I can do to help at this point?

~ I'm not suing anyone but this ear plug they sold at the range - I've used these before (and am using off and on now - just 'cuz) - does not seem to block much noise. People at the range were having conversations - the guy I was with tried to talk to me but I heard nothing but static even than - with ear plug in. Do these just block critical sounds and allow conversation or??? Just wondering?

Thanks for any help and guidance.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You seem to have an acoustic trauma. Weren't you offered steroids? They work best very close to the event, but maybe try to ask for them now.

I have never shot with a gun, but after reading how loud they can be, I think double protection (ear plugs and muffs) should be worn, and maybe that's not enough either.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      You should continue to recover to some degree. The hearing system and ear is a very sensitive organ so will take a long time to heal and hearing to improve. Some permanent damage is likely but definitely best to avoid loud noise at this time. Taking magnesium and antioxidants like vit e and vit c may be beneficial. Take care of your hearing and maybe have hearing test in the near future to check how things are. I personally would hang up the rifle and take up a quieter hobby.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      talerco

talerco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      shooting range
      Thank you both for the encouragement and hopefulness. Yes. I'm done with fire arms. Maybe archery ;)
      Taking magnesium, zinc, a decongestant and vitamins.....unlike before. Fortunately good genes - very healthy overall. Also wearing ear plugs a lot - just 'cuz.
      Thanks again.

5. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I wish I got tinnitus at 70 instead of 15 lol.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    6. Tom 2020

Tom 2020 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shotgun Noise
      I had a similar experience. On June 28, 2020, I walked into a shooting range room, idiotically thinking I had a few seconds to put on my ear protection. The guy in the room let off two or three shots. I was given Prednisone orally, which you should ask about. It took over two months to make progress. Please ask about the NAC supplement. Please update us. I will be more specific later. You can also look up my posts here. It’s good to compare experiences. I had to take anti-anxiety pills to calm down, because I felt so stupid. You should consider suing the place, if the ear plugs are defective. These gun ranges should require over the head protective gear unless a waiver is signed!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      I had a traumatic event like you guys mention except I was exposed to roughly 10 shots from a 40 caliber Glock. Foam ear defender apparently didn't seal correctly. I went and got steroids injected into the ear but it took weeks to see an ENT and I had no idea I needed to rush it. I developed cochlear Meniere's disease which may or may not have been due to the trauma. Never in my life did I think I would be in this position. I have 60 dB hearing loss at 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz and mild loss in the high frequencies. I've lost my career due to the extreme tinnitus and pain in the ear.

I hope you guys fully recover. I'll never touch another gun ever again and would do anything to get rid of this shit.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Jass

Jass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firecracker
      Hi @talerco,

Get oral prednisone. I am my 5th day of oral prednisone but for me its been about 3.5 months since a firecracker popped near my right ear. I have ringing in the ears/brain. No hearing loss, only 10dB at 4kHz. I'm prating the medication works. Never shoot guns with ear plugs or without any protection. Use full ear muffs if you really want to shoot. I'm only 32 and had to cancel many plans.

Good luck,

Jassiel

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. sensualmosquito
      Confused

sensualmosquito Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      6-8 khz HL, T and H from gunshots
      I guess I feel luckier getting it at 21 haha. Acoustic trauma too.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      You sound much better. Continuing to pray for you. Hope things are getting better, even if it is slight improvement.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      @twa, I wish that was the case. I am a basket case. I've honestly gotten worse.

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I'm so sorry, praying it will subside for you and that things will calm down.

13. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      I think if the doctors can get the pressure issue under control it will fix most of the problem. The Meniere's and increased pressure in my ear makes it impossible to hear anything that with the loud roaring tinnitus it causes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Jrblovsky -- DMSO may be worth a shot. From my in depth research and personal experience with using it, it's hard for me to imagine a better (and safer) way to rapidly reduce various kinds of pressures and inflammation in the head area.

15. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      @Lane, how do you use this stuff? I bought DMSO in this clear cream and applied a small amount behind the ear. The irritation of the skin and itching was crazy. Do I cut the the gel with something else to help with the skin irritation?

16. Jass

Jass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firecracker
      Hi @Jrblovsky

I’ve been putting vaporub and also CBD cream behind my ears and in neck area and it seems to help a bit. I alternate weeks. One week vaporub and one week CBD.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      I've been trying that a lot for the last year. I mixed up some DMSO as well and tried that as well. I've noticed now that I am losing all of my high frequencies. I could hear 12 kHz when this started. Now I'm down to 9 kHz.