Should I Be Wearing Headphones on an Airplane?

Discussion in 'Support' started by WetLikeCurry, Dec 24, 2019.

1. WetLikeCurry

WetLikeCurry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey what's up everyone,

It's been a while since I posted something on here, but anyways, I'm going on a vacation in the next couple days, and when I'm on the airplane, I always bring my headphones so I can relax in my seat, and make myself comfortable.

I wanted to ask though, is it all right to wear headphones on the airplane? I won't be wearing them throughout the whole plane ride, but I was maybe thinking 2 hours? Then stop, then when I feel like it, come back to them again?

-Thanks

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @WetLikeCurry

I have read your first post to this forum in the following link: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...-the-hyperacusis-network-products-good.36568/ You mention having hyperacusis. On your Avatar is says, cause of tinnitus unknown. Exposure to loud noise is the most common cause of tinnitus. Hyperacusis is usually (but not always) brought on by exposure to loud noise. Typically, it is headphone use and going to places where loud music is played or working in a noisy environment.

Assuming your tinnitus is noise induced, my advice is not to use headphones even at low volume. Whether on an airplane or not. People with noise induced tinnitus, risk it becoming worse using headphones but it's your choice.

All the best
      Michael

Headphones and Tinnitus

I have expressed many times in the forum that it is a risk for anyone that has tinnitus which was caused by exposure to loud noise to use any type of headphones even at low volume. There are people in this forum that have tinnitus which was caused by exposure to loud noise and use headphones without any problems. However, there are many people that have Noise induced tinnitus and used headphones at low volume and regretted it, because their tinnitus has increased and will not reduce to its previous baseline level.

The ear canal is approximately 26mm long. When sound is directed into through headphones, it has only one place to go and that is towards the eardrum and can irritate the inner ear, due the syncopation within music. When listening to music through speakers, there is some dispersion before it is picked up by ear and enters ear-canal. However, if music is too loud one can still cause irritation to the auditory system which can spike the tinnitus and possibly make it worse.

There are people in this forum that have tinnitus which was not caused by exposure to loud noise and are quick to say using headphones causes no harm for people with Noise induced tinnitus. These people do not have NIT and therefore, know nothing about the condition. If you choose to follow their advice because they are telling you what you want to hear, that is your choice. Just remember, should your tinnitus increase then you will be the one in distress all by yourself with no-one to help you. Peruse some of the posts in this forum from members that have NIT and used headphones and regretted it.

Michael

3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I fly on occasion and while the flights tend to be loud and irritating to my tinnitus, it's typically short term and not permanent. The previous poster has a point regarding headphones which I tend to agree with and follow. Earplugs have become my 'go to' solution to most situations.

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I wear my noise cancelling headphones on the plane all the time (and for the duration of the flight generally). It's great to cut down on engine noise.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Wear earmuffs for flying, and also before you get into the plane. The plane engines will probably be on, and if you do not board or exit the plane through a jetty that is going to be very loud (plus planes taxiing around, taking off, landing around...)

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      WetLikeCurry

WetLikeCurry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Michael Leigh

Sorry, I was supposed to post it on the Hyperacusis support, but I guess it doesn't matter cause it's been addressed anyways. If I can't wear headphones, and I can't wear earplugs, then what should I do then? There are some who commented that the engine itself is already loud when in taxi, so what do you suppose I do during my flight?

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @WetLikeCurry

The advice I give in this forum is just advice. It is up to the individual whether they choose to follow it or not. Therefore, I am not saying that you can't wear headphones but it's something I wouldn't advise as I have already explained.

On your Avatar it says you have acquired tinnitus this year so you are new to it. Please click on the links below and read my posts on tinnitus, that I think you might find helpful, particularly Hyperacusis, As I see it. You could try using "Noise reducing" earplugs which will reduce the level of external sound, more is explained in my articles in the links below.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      WetLikeCurry

WetLikeCurry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Michael Leigh

I thank you for the advice you have given. I know you mean well for helping others out, and again I thank you for that. But now I feel like I have anxiety cause Everytime I see my headphones or I dream of using my headphones during the airplane, I am always scared now. But I will see what will happen when I wear it. I won't wear it for long during the airplane, just periodically

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @WetLikeCurry

Thank you for your kind words.
      I understand your fears and concerns regarding using your headphones and the advice that I have given. Look at this way: You are now better informed and if you decide to use your headphones be careful. Some people with noise induced tinnitus, use headphones and are not aware of the risks until it is too late and their tinnitus increases. You have the advantage because you're in the know. It is better to be informed of the risks rather than completely unaware of them.

Hope you have a pleasant fight and wish you well.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hmmm... I wonder who's to blame for instilling that anxiety.

Here is what a doctor has to say about headphone use: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ones-the-devil-for-a-tinnitus-sufferer.38249/

Take advice from random people on the internet (myself included) with a grain of salt.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2