Should I Get on Thyroid Medication to Ease Tinnitus (Hypothyroidism)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by carfan13, Feb 23, 2021.

1. carfan13

carfan13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So about 4-5 months ago I've went through (and still going through) many life changes - that brought on various levels of stress, anxiety, and as a result tinnitus (or so I thought that's what did it). Some days its better other its worse.

Also for the past several years I have known that I have been hypothyroid - but never ended up taking meds for it, as I was not experiencing any of the typical symptoms, and was generally nothing to 'address' by taking the medication.

My TSH levels have always stayed in the 'mild hypothyroidism' category (somewhere 7-9 range) - and everything I have read online is it is debatable whether treatment is required when you are in that range.

So not long ago, I realized and learned that tinnitus occurs quite frequently with hypothyroidism - and am now considering taking meds in hopes of easing some ear ringing.

Can anyone suggest what to do? I have also seen the opposite where the medication brings on or WORSENS tinnitus as well - which scares me as well into going that route. I am generally very anti-meds, and take no prescriptions at this time.

As a reference - I am otherwise a very healthy 38-year-old male not really experiencing any other signs of hypothyroidism.

Any insight or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    2. davidjhp

davidjhp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      1. Try to reverse the hypothyroidism naturally. The details are in the book "The Thyroid Reset Diet" by Dr Alan Christianson. You can get this book at any online bookseller.

2. Test TSH with T4 and Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies and Antithyroglobulin Antibodies.

3. Study all videos on this channel regarding thyroid: https://www.youtube.com/user/Alannmd/videos

I have no affiliation with the above.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @carfan13 -- I would suggest trying a thyroid extract such as Armour Thyroid or Naturethroid. I tried the synthetic kind, and it made my body go bonkers after taking only one dose. I do very well on both of the above prescription medications. I prefer to keep my TSH readings in the 1-2 range.

4. mknature
      Wishful

mknature Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013 (quiet), 5/2020 (loud)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss / ototoxicity / viruses
      Hi! Can I ask, what do you mean by "made my body go bonkers?" My TSH is currently sitting at 2.87, subclinical, but my TPOAb are around 800. Considering thyroid meds.