Should I Go to the Cinema with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by worriedd, Aug 3, 2016.

1. worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid, from a cold. No noise damage or infection.
      So I've been invited by my friend to go see Suicide Squad soon, which I know is quite loud. I'm thinking of going to see a quieter film beforehand to see how I cope. I'm not going to a chain cinema, so it should be quieter. I also have ear plugs but they only cover like 20db. What do you guys think I should do? Could it make my tinnitus worse? Do you guys have any experiences yourselves??

2. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I definitely avoid going to the cinema now after a number of bad experiences in the first year of tinnitus (and while wearing earplugs I should add). Having said that you might be fine - everyone's different, it's the low bass sounds which even the best earplugs can't protect against as they are conducted through the earbone.
      best, David.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't go to the theater very often, but when I do I bring plugs and it doesn't cause me any problems. The last movie I saw was Star Wars, which was relatively loud. The theaters around me tend to be ~75db sustained with occasional bursts into the 80s during action scenes; overall that is not especially loud compared to other stuff. (For instance, the airplanes that fly overhead right outside my condo building, are about as loud as anything in a movie).

4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I still go to the cinema, if i wore ear plugs i would probably struggle with dialougue..

5. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Sure I think there is no risk going to the cinema using earplugs correctly.

Just one thing, I see that your Tinnitus is new (March from what I see in your profile), so I don't know if it is better for you to give your ears rest for a little more time.

Regards,
      Johnny.

6. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      You'll be OK. Generally its not as loud as you think. Bring plugs and if you feel uncomfortable use them.

But go and enjoy!

7. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Goto the drive in cinema so u can control the volume in the car!

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    8. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      A drive in cinema? Never seen one of those in the UK..

9. Gailjones

Gailjones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu virus and loud venue
      My audiologist once said don't wear plugs and just do what ordinary people do,,,giving your ears a ten min break from loud noise every hour,.,,,although another one said that the cinema was too loud generally and therefore would suggest wearing some sort of ear protection,,,,ears are made for noise...but after getting a condition like t. Or h.....it's hard to remember that.

10. Liz25
      Balanced

Liz25 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have gone to the movie theater with tinnitus and everything was fine. Make sure to wear foam ear plugs because the volume and speakers are pretty loud in there. But, you should be fine.

11. Filip

Filip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud earbuds music/ear infection
      No dafuq why risk it nooooo don't do it I missed out on recent movies it's sad but I'm wait until I can pirate it once a good copy is made