Showering Makes Tinnitus Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by ashlee, Mar 27, 2015.

1. ashlee
      Supportive

ashlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone,

Every time I take a shower, I notice that my tinnitus is noticeably louder after I get out. Does anyone else have this issue, or know what could be causing it? I don't feel like it has anything to do with water in the ears. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

2. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Same here. Seems like our T reacts to the sound of running water.

Do you have T in one ear or both?

3. inadmin

inadmin Member

The shower is actually the only relief for the majority of us, so i would say it's rather odd.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Shower is a relief here too but doesn anyone know exactly why?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      I'm atypical here. My answers will likely be as well. Showers don't help me but I'm deaf. The only thing that does help is masking through a cochlear implant. I wonder for those who are helped by showers if the bombardment of the water in that closed environment is acting as a masking device. It would affect your key hearing of bone-conduction and air-conduction by allowing massive non-tinnitus sounds.

6. Barbara777

Barbara777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      I have to wear my earplugs in the shower because the sound does make my T louder. Brushing my teeth does also. I can't use an electric toothbrush anymore either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Generally the shower does not effect my T.

However, when I had a spike back in September my T seemed insanely loud after showering. In fact, I got to a point where I dreaded showering snd would go for days at a time without doing it. Gross I know, but it was driving me insane.

8. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      MattK: I understand and can relate taking off my implant (and even with it to a degree) because tinnitus is really making me nuts. I understand why some people want to commit suicide due to it. So, not showering for days at a time is certainly understandable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      I dread the shower too. Well, I dread being conscious. I'm definitely considering to end it all 'cause it seems just pointless. My sanity is being destroyed non-stop.

10. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I like the shower, I stay in there until the hot water ends. Seems to be a bit painful but it is one of the few things that masks my T. It does however seem to make my T louder after I get out :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. firealarm

firealarm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fire Alarm
      I just bought a fancy Delta shower head. It was great until I got out of the shower and found it set my tinnitus off.
      So now I'm thinking the shower might be part of my continuing tinnitus (9000 and 12000 Hz constant ring). My tinnitus is physical damage and I high frequencies aggravate it. Retraining using similar frequencies also makes it worse.