Simple Trick: Use Earplugs to Reduce Tinnitus Loudness

Discussion in 'Support' started by Max, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Max

Max Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2005
      I like most know that ringing is the loudest when lying in bed or in a dead quiet room. Even the smallest sound or movement will cause it to spike.

I've noticed though that if I put in foam ear plugs when I get in bed and lay still, while the ringing is amplified at first, after 2-3 minutes the ringing subsides DRAMATICALLY, I would say almost to a point where it is barely noticeable. If I roll over or move though it will spike again, but not severely.

Long story short, I've noticed that wearing ear plugs when going to bed caused my T to subside a great deal (even in an already quiet room), I don't know how to explain why this occurs though but I know that it works for me.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Max,
      Do you remove the ear plugs before you fall asleep, or just leave them in? It seems like it would be uncomfortable (?)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Max

Max Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2005
      I leave them in….perhaps some pairs are softer than other because I do not find them uncomfortable. Just need a good soft pair.

4. Meestijn
      Balanced

Meestijn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Max be carefull. Using earplugs during sleep can cause H.
      Because it may result in an increase of sensitivity in the central auditory system ( increase of gain) which makes external sounds sound louder.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Max

Max Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2005
      Meestijn - Unfortunately I do already have it and have had so for several years as the result of a noise induced experience. I agree that overprotecting your ears makes it worse, but I guess I never thought ear plugs at night would be an issue since the environment is already dead silent to begin with and I am not protecting my ears from any noise…idk, I'm not an expert so 'm just going to stop now...

6. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I heard from my doctor that after using earplugs for sleeping for a while you become used to that even more quiet environment and more sensitive to noises that otherwise didn't disturb your sleep. That is also true from my experience. So in a way it does make your ears more hypersensitive.

7. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I snore horribly. I wonder if you do and if the earplugs protect you from that? Because when I yell or sing it activates my tinnitus instantly.