Sleeping/Anxiety Issues

Discussion in 'Support' started by HeidiB, Apr 25, 2018.

1. HeidiB

HeidiB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/mild hearing loss
      Good morning,
      I’m new to this experience. 7 weeks in today of it being ON all the time. Initially it was at night. I think mine is caused by stress. As I had an unreal amount of it when this began. I’ve read so many things about sleep.

Like everyone else I’m scared to take anything that is Ototoxic. Yet it seems pretty much everything is! Sometimes I think my anxiety about sleeping is what’s actually keeping up more than the ringing in my ear.

What have people been doing lately to sleep? Masking doesn’t work. I seem to always find the noise! Thanks so much....

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Not everything is ototoxic; infact very few are considered medically. Otoxicity is when a medication can cause physical damage to the ears causing hearing loss. Some drugs can cause temporary spikes which often subsides as a result of discontinuation. Other times it’s a cocincidence due to how common tinnitus is and how commonly used some medications are prescribed. There is no definite rule as tinnitus it so complex.
      Keep playing around with different apps and try to find your tinnitus frequency as that often helps u pinpoint how to mask it.
      Melatonin, passionflower etc are often natural substances that can help you sleep.

But don’t despair, what you’re experiencing is all very normal and things will improve!

I really suggest talking with your doctor if you’re struggling.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      You could try some CBD oil or even some THC...while cannabis seems to make the T louder for most people, it also helps you relax and sleep at correct dose...
      It's a fine balancing act and everyone is different, so you would have to experiment a bit...start low first and see what happens.

If it works, it is much better alternative than the poison you will get from your trained pill prescriber, who calls himself a doctor.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes you have to do certain stuff to survive and that includes taking prescription meds...but try the natural approach first and only when you exhaust all the possibilities, than go for the pills.

You can also try natural anti stress remedies and supplements such as:

Ashwaghanda (the KSM66 extract)
      Bacopa Monieri
      Fish oil
      B-complex
      Valerian root
      Herbal night time teas.
      R14 (homeopathic remedy by Dr Reckwick)
      Alteril (all natural sleeping aid pills)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HeidiB

HeidiB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/mild hearing loss
      Thanks so much for this info. I have not seen this chart. I will have a look. My T is pulsatile most of the time but I’ve had MRI and MRA and neurosurgeon look at my scans...I do have slight (yet still in the normal adult range) hearing loss in the higher frequencies which seems to be common here so maybe that’s contributing to this. I will check out the Passion flower for sleeping I do have melatonin. I was taking Benadryl to sleep before this then I learned that is NOT a good idea and may have lead to this? I have some clonazapam and was taking like 1-2 times a week a half a pill. I think it helped actually. I’m just not a pill popper. Thank you again for these suggestions. Knowing I’m not alone brings me to tears and I feel for everyone trying to navigate this.

• Genius Genius x 1
    6. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      I read somewhere on this forum, that melatonin help to sleep, don’t take more than 3 mg . Also if you take anything ototoxic it help protect your ears. I been using that , help me sleep plus it natural. I just afraid to take any drugs with all I read here. Just don’t want to take a chance.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Also when it comes to masking, try high pitch wind chymes...I find that they can put a nice dent in the T.
      You can download many of the ambient sound apps...most of them have wind chymes.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes melatonion is also great...it is also a natural detoxifyer.
      But like you said...too much can have the opposite effect so one needs to be careful.

9. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      From my experience the is not any drugs that can fix sleep issues.
      What i mean if you get benzos/antidepressants/antipsychotics drugs that address gaba/serotonin/dopamine
      due to homeostasis your insomnia in long term will be more severe that it was before take any drug.
      Sleep drugs destroy natural sleep permanently in chronic use.
      Also melatonin must be not taken from people under 55 years old.
      My suggestion is stay away from any drugs/herbals for sleep in long term you will make permanent damage to your sleep architecture.
      The sleep to be good must be natural without any drug/herbal.
      T is serious problem but insomnia is a much worse problem.
      Melatonin has no indication for you in young people melatonin cause more problems that good.
      I suggest to you exercise and direct sun exposure in the day.

The drugs that have effect on sleep are all ototoxic (benzos/antihistamines/antidepressants/antipsychotics/herbs etc) stay away maybe your T is drug induced