Sleeping, Lying Down and Tinnitus Volume

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tweaker, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Lying down seems to make my tinnitus crazy loud. When I wake in the middle of the night my head is swimming in sound.

Is it the lying down or the sleep that changes it? I mean the noise is overwhelmingly loud.

Standing up and going to the bathroom helps slightly so I think lying down has something to do with it.

Who else experiences the same thing upon waking in night? Any theories why this happens?

2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I wanted the other day to make a poll about the same thing, but i did not have time.
      When i lie down my tinnitus increases very much.
      When i lie down and my tinnitus is very loud, if i get up, i feel better.
      It was always like that.

I thought for a while about sleeping in a reclining chair, to avoid the lying down position, to make my life a bit easier, although this is not a solution.

Lying down definitely makes my tinnitus louder, and that makes me wonder: what changes when i lie down?

An answer would be blood circulation.
      More blood goes into the head and the ear, the blood pressure in the head increases.
      Let's make a poll about that, to see some percentages, and hear what other people are saying.
      Are you going to do it, or shall i do it, cause i was thinking about the same thing recently.
      I do not think it is about the sleep, i think it's about the body position and how the blood pressure changes in the head. I cannot be very sure, though.

Sometimes i wake up with loud tinnitus after i slept a little. Maybe the increase has something to do with sleeping for a while, who knows.

We have to collect as much information as possible, because in this way we could find more about what is causing the tinnitus, what the phenomenon is, and find a remedy, stop it by addressing the problem.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Try a natural sleeping pillows at night that is shaped to keep your head and neck in a correct position.
      Love glynis

4. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @Tweaker
      How did you get your tinnitus, if you do not mind me asking.
      Acoustic trauma/noise exposure/hearing loss or head/neck/neck/TMJ injury, or another cause?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I had it mild since a child. Got bad I believe through noise exposure at work over the years. Sudden worsening in late thirties. But I do also have tmj and some facial nerve pain at times which could contribute to it.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I created a poll.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      I am the opposite, lying down is better for me. Walking around the house is worse. Strange.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Indeed, very interesting.
      And very useful information in trying to figure out how lying down and getting up can influence tinnitus. In both ways, we know that now, but how exactly in cases that get worse when lying down the body position worsens the tinnitus, and how it lessens it in other cases.
      What is the difference between lying down and getting up, in terms of factors that can influence a tinnitus?
      1. Blood presseure (and tinnitus is sometimes created by a blood vessel)
      2. The state of a muscle (contracted, stretched) Which muscles?
      Other things that change with body/head positions?
      A joint. Temporo-mandibular joint known for its influemce on tinnitus. It is very close to the middle ear, this joint. How it actually TMJ influences the middle ear, it was never clear to me. Anybody knows?

9. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Also I have the same problem when I'm in the bed the T goes crazy

10. Jack Barnes

Jack Barnes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I started sleeping on my back after my acoustic trauma and have had no issues with T changing while lying down. Just thought I'd throw that in.

11. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Same for me, when lying down T is worse , probably meaning that T is like the body, everything is inter connected, probably something regarding circulation and muscles must have its impact

12. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      It def used to but i dont think it does anymore...i always put my masking sound at nite but its been a long time since i have had trouble sleeepi g...knock on wood

13. TinA#7oct
      Amused

TinA#7oct Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Handpiece's (air driven turbine drills) repair of
      Ever since my neck fussion, I have been sleeping in a recliner. Any pressure other than the back of my head and neck, will greatly increase my tinnitus. The main reason for the recliner is helping me to get up, due to ALS. TinA#7oct

14. Blodorn
      Bored

Blodorn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Same for me. During the day my tinnitus is quiet, can't hear it sometimes, but when I go to bed, my tinnitus goes from 2/10 to 8/10. Nothing else spikes my tinnitus. Only lying down. Strange!