Slipped on Black Ice — Mild Concussion and Two Weeks Later Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GrandpaRick, May 19, 2021.

1. GrandpaRick

GrandpaRick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fall, mild concussion
      Hey everyone. I've been a long time viewer but just joined. Looking for support during all the trials I am going through.

I had my first major anxiety attack yesterday at work. My tinnitus started while working, when I fell on some black ice, hit my head and was diagnosed with a mild concussion.

I have the Phonak hearing aids to help mask the ringing.

I have had a really hard time adjusting - I know it's been almost 3 years. Does it get easier? I guess it depends on the person and how they deal with it.

Anyways, hi Everyone...

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Yes, it gets easier if we try to accept the new normal and not get too anxious or stressful as these are bad for tinnitus.

Masking is a good idea if the ringing bothers you too much.

It is helpful to get active like pursuing some new hobbies to distract from paying attention to the tinnitus.

Take care. God bless.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Ava Lugo
      Irritated

Ava Lugo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      @billie48, does distraction work even for reactive tinnitus and distorted hearing? I can’t mask mine.

4. KazM
      Conehead

KazM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12th October 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head injury
      Welcome to the Forum:welcomesignanimation:
      My tinnitus started much the same way as yours, knocked for a 6 (that's meters) :eek: unconscious for over ten minutes and woke to ringing in my head.

I have found that keeping busy, having a positive attitude and being kind to myself help :love:. The audiologist advised me not to listen to the tinnitus as this will reinforce the auditory pathways in the brain. Like an annoying child that gets in your face :arghh:(I have four), if you pay it more attention it becomes more persistent. Initially I struggled to follow his advice, however as the years have progressed it has dulled down to a background hissing noise. Night time can be tough, I take Melatonin just to assist :sleep:

You'll have noticed that everyone has absolutely unique experiences dealing with the tinnitus and you will too, however we're all here to support each other :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1