So... Hearing Distortion... Anyone Else Have This?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ankie, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Kejejk112

Kejejk112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I asked him to do Jobson Horne probe manual method and he said he could but for the wax closest to the drum he said he wouldn't be able to use that .. and he said he would microsuction or syringe the rest

Problem is I'm worried microsuction caused this hearing problem even though my ent seems to think it's the wax causing it
      I did a audiogram and my hearing is normal ..

Didn't you have microsuction ?
      Isn't that the vacuum you said you used ?

2. Alicia317

Alicia317 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What frightens me about the sound distortions I experience, is that it is literally all sounds when it flares up - not loud sounds or certain frequency sounds. Voices especially are terribly distorted into this (really kind of hilarious) robot sound - like when you were a kid and you talked into a fan. But it's happening in the middle of working with clients at work or paying for groceries, which is not funny at all.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      Yes I have hearing distortion, it is a nightmare. I'm too sick of it to even bother describing it at the moment but i talk about it a lot in the past. Fewer people seem to have this type of symptom, which makes it also difficult. My constant T is bad, but the distortions are a lot more bothersome.

• Hug Hug x 3
    4. bolan_davies

bolan_davies Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey, hey.... I'm happy to have found this thread but dismayed to see no solution, treatment, diagnosis. How much do y'all drink? I am a heavy drinker and a musician. Mid-30's with hearing distortion in left ear only. Some intermittent fluttering in the right. TMJ on side with hearing problems. It almost feels like an inflammatory problem, and I notice it's worse after a night of heavy drinking. Which is most nights. I have pitch problems in that ear too, which I noticed while attempting to record vocals with headphones covering bad ear. The playback was hilariously (but "precisely") off-key.

I've seen two ENT's (perfunctory exams of little importance) and two audiologists. One audiogram detected some hearing loss in the mid-low frequency range and a slight dip in the high end. The audiologists (and just as a mildly sexist side-note... is it a prerequisite to be a beautiful young woman to be an audiologist?) fit me with a hearing aid to boost the ranges in which I'm deficient... the theory being my brain is noticing the discrepancy between ears and compensating in strange ways. This did not help.

What are your body types? I'm tall and thin.

5. mariagrc

mariagrc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Any updates here?
      I've been suffering this since 2013. Thanks god no vertigo yet. But every time distortion comes back I am terrified, I think that vertigo can hit anytime.

I know that I've got low vitamin D, this year I've been taking less than last year, last year I didn't suffer from distorted hearing but this year it's here again. It really sucks.. 7 years and no solution found.

Please, if any of you have found something I would be grateful if you share it.

Thanks and good luck to all of you.

6. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Hi, are you saying your distortion went away for an entire year and then came back. If so, happy it went away but sorry it is here again!

7. mariagrc

mariagrc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Yes, it comes and goes... this year it's been worse than others. I'm suffering from distortion right now. It usually disappears after a course of prednisone. Now I'm on the 6th day and no changes so far. I've been at my ENT today and he says it is probably autoimmune related.

It hit for the first time on 2013, and I lost some low frequency hearing since then in my right ear, and a slight tinnitus got stucked there. Over the years it became bilateral, but I've been recovering my hearing in every episode. Let's see if I recover this time again... (I've lost some low frequency hearing on my left now).

Of course I would love to find a cure, but at least I would like to have a diagnosis.

Good luck to all of you,

Maria

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m really sorry to hear that - I am struggling with the same thing now for about 2 months. I hope we can improve or triangulate what the hel is causing these symptoms.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. mariagrc

mariagrc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Well, thankfully distortion has disappeared today. I'm still feeling weird but I've recovered most of the low frequency loss. It has taken 13 days this time, even though tomorrow it can come back again. I've been on 30 mg prednisone for a week, then tapered down to 15 mg... I would love to understand why the hell it always comes back, and why today has improved so much.

@GBB are you taking any meds? Have you been diagnosed?

I literally panic every time this distorted hearing comes back, I don't know why but I feel I'm going to have a vertigo attack. I've got tinnitus as well but it's nothing compared with the distorted, echoey, broken speaker effect.

10. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Glad to hear it went away!

I had several loud noise exposures and have been diagnosed with tinnitus and hyperacusis, though every ENT shrugs at the distortion. One said it could be temporary threshold shift, another said I need to see a neurologist because it’s a central nervous system issue - one just said “huh”, and another said it was hyperacusis. I don’t put much faith in doctors to solve my issues.

I am on medication but only to combat my tinnitus - Nortriptyline and Mirtazapine.