So, I Have Tinnitus...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by teacherman, Feb 12, 2014.

1. teacherman
      Buzzed

teacherman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/27/2013
      Well, went to a shooting range for the first time with my son on the 27th of December, 2013 . I wore foam ear plugs...guy at the counter said they are fine to use. It's a good thing I made my son wear the ear cans (I should have done the same). My ears have been ringing since. Tricky thing is I'm a 21 year special ed. school teacher working with emotional disturbed adolescents and I play bass guitar in the worship band at church.

The first couple weeks were insane...I had to take a week off of playing due to ear sensitivity...any noise was a bother. When school started after Christmas break I didn't realize the seriousness of the T until I was in the classroom trying to teach and keep up with the kids. I didn't think I was going to make it, but I kept my head together and tried to relax. Talking to my principal about the T and taking the occasional sick day has helped as well as playing relaxation music in class more often. Thankfully, the noise sensitivity went away after a couple weeks.

I visited an audiologist about 4 weeks ago and I do have high frequency hearing loss in both ears...whether the range cause this or jamming metal for 30 years, who knows? Anyway, I now use westone musicians earplugs because I can't use IEMs anymore and have a wedge monitor right by me to hear everyone in the band.

I'm going on 7 weeks this Friday with T and am starting to get used to it. I'm trying to find the triggers and patterns, but just when I think I have it down...it throws me for a big loop. Some days it is so quiet that I can't hear it, then other days it starts rockin'. I have to say that it has gotten better than when I first got it or maybe I'm just used to it. I'm thankful that on most school days it is quiet, but because of the busy and often stressful work day the T is louder in the evening, so I just spend time playing my bass and trying to keep my mind busy. I take melatonin to help me sleep, but honestly, other than the first couple weeks, I sleep pretty good. Some nights the T is actually quiet.

I didn't intend to write such a lengthy post, but it is almost necessary when trying to explain things. This is a great forum and I feel for all of you folks out there. Thanks for reading.

Mike

• Hug Hug x 2