So Sad and Hopeless : Update

Discussion in 'Support' started by TracyJS, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      I love that :LOL: She was probably high on the “natural Wiccan substances” and thought the closer her full moon is to the actual moon the more connected she will be......

2. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      It’s actaully really intersting from what the little bits I’ve read on Wicca. Quite spiritual overall.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

TracyJS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have had tinnitus for 5 months. It started out gradual and intermittent and gradually got worse. It is very variable from day to day and even the same day. It can mild, moderate, or severe. It’s almost always been that way. I think there’s more severe times now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Mine is also very tough on me just now Tracy.
      Thinking of you, and just wishing things could get better for both of us.
      Dave
      xxx

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Ha-ha! Yeah, that's why she did it! The homemade Moonshine possessed her!

Yeah, it is interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Me, too:huganimation:

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      10 mg of Amitrityline had helped me sleep when my T was at its worst.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Can someone explain to me why my tinnitus changes so much from day to day?
      Yesterday it was mild 2/10 and I felt like a normal person. I was me.
      Today it’s 8 or 9/10 and I’m not me. I’m invaded by this thing.
      I want to go back to living again.
      I want my life back.
      Sorry for the rant.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have noritripyline. Have not decided to take it yet. Is that similar to A?

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sorry, I don't know the answer. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer this.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      In the early stages of tinnitus @TracyJS tinnitus can change a lot in intensity. Sometimes daily as you are experiencing at the moment. It can change within a few hours too. This roller coaster effect can be particularly difficult for those new to this condition because the tinnitus is directly linked to our emotions. The tinnitus can make a person feel stressed and anxious. The more stressed and anxious a person becomes the more intrusive the tinnitus can appear to be. It can be a vicious circle. It can sap all the strength and resolve out of a person. One way to help cope with this by taking antidepressants on the advice of a doctor to help stabilise a person's moods. This up and down cycle needs to be broken for it can become quite problematic if one isn't careful.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @TracyJS

The post below is for information only to give you an idea how tinnitus can affect our emotional wellbeing.
      Hope it is of help.

Michael

Can antidepressants and other medications help tinnitus?

Tinnitus is a complex condition that comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. It can be: mild, moderate, severe or extremely severe. Because its intensity can vary considerably, it can be difficult to know what another person is going through. When it is mild or moderate, many people are able to habituate to it and carry on with their life doing everything that they want to and may not always need a referral to ENT or a hearing therapist for treatment.

Tinnitus starts to become a problem when it loud and intrusive. If this level of intensity is sustained for a period of time, life can become a very traumatic experience, especially for someone that is new to the condition. A person’s once peaceful world has suddenly been invaded by an unwanted interloper, and it can seem there is no end to the nightmare that has befallen upon them. Insomnia, stress and anxiety are common conditions affecting such a person, which can often make the tinnitus, seem louder and more intrusive. Stress makes tinnitus worse and tinnitus makes stress worse. So, the more relaxed someone is the less intrusive the tinnitus will appear to be and often making life more tolerable.

If your GP suggests taking an antidepressant or a sleeping draft then I advise you to consider it. However, for various reasons some people are averse to taking medications, and when it comes to antidepressants or sleeping tablets they vehemently oppose the idea and prefer to deal with the problem without assistance from prescription drugs. Admirable as this might seem, coping with intrusive tinnitus isn’t easy. The usual methods of keeping busy to distract one’s attention from the noise or masking it with another sound so that it can’t be heard often prove unsuccessful and at times exhausting, because tinnitus is quite resilient and will put up a fight.

Contrary to what some people believe, antidepressants or other medications to help cope with tinnitus, don’t have to be taken long term and can act as a safety net, helping to prevent a person becoming too down. Remember, the less stressed and relaxed we are, the less intrusive the tinnitus will appear to be. This can go a long way in helping a person to habituate to the condition with time.

Some medications can make tinnitus more intrusive and this has been said about antidepressants. However, in many cases the effects are usually temporary. As we are all different it wouldn’t be right to say everyone that takes AD will be adversely affected. My blood pressure medicine is listed as “can cause ringing in the ears”. I haven’t noticed any increase in my tinnitus and I have been taking it for quite some time.

Life can be problematic even at the best of times. With the added pressure of coping with intrusive tinnitus, my advice is to try and make things a easier on yourself. Talk to your doctor and if an antidepressant or other medications is advised then try it and give it time to work, at least six weeks.

• Like Like x 3
    13. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      @TracyJS
      I have learnt that it is simply odd.
      It does what it wants.
      There is ( for me ) no pattern and no trigger that I can identify.
      Best thing is to save yourself the heartache of trying to work it out ( a natural human response ! ) and try to just live and ignore it a best you can. Be busy, be calm and be distracted.
      I know its hard...but give it a go X

• Like Like x 2
    14. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Yep...same stuff slightly different combination. I think @glynis has had some luck with this ? Worth a go...I guess !

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you, Michael.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks @Kelvin. It sure is maddening how it changes. I’m a quiet, contemplative person so trying to stay continually distracted is a pain. Will do what can.