Somatic Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by carlover, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Jamclem
      Fine

Jamclem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flying then Sport (Probs)
      Hello everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone has similar symptoms of tinnitus where you can push your jaw left and right and other directions and moderate the sound?

If so, have you tried a chiropractor or other treatment? Have you had any success?

Hope you are all okay

James

2. Bob T

Bob T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but probably long term noise exposure
      If I clench my jaw and push my lower teeth forward against my upper teeth my tinnitus gets significantly louder and more shrill. Anyone know what that means?

3. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      My tinnitus started after an ear infection in left ear, a week or two later went to right ear too. Tinnitus in both ears but when I try to pull mucus from my sinuses to spit it out it spikes or modulates the tinnitus 10x in my left ear. Same as when I twist my neck to the right only, press on my sinuses and top of head, and yawn.

My tinnitus wasn’t a random onset as it began with a cause but now I’m curious, does anyone else have somatic symptoms with tinnitus but not a somatic root cause?

Can anybody modulate their tinnitus or just people with TMJ or neck problems? Thank you

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      That is the 100,000$ question!:rockingbanana:
      I often suspect that my somatic phenomena and observations probably already existed before I got my hissing tinnitus.....
      Note: I cannot improve my tinnitus by somatic influence, - only worsen it.:(

5. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Hello all. I may be confusing myself on a topic so I wanted clarification.

My tinnitus started exactly months ago now. It is around the 14000 Hz range in the left ear. I can modulate it by moving my jaw in various ways along with moving my neck. My OAE was referred at 6 kHz and 8 kHz but my word recognition was perfect and all results were the same for both ears.

My question or confusion is this. Can you have acoustic or hearing loss type of tinnitus and it also be somatic? Mainly if your hearing is due to some traumatic acoustic event, can it be somatic?

For the record I never was able to lock down why I have tinnitus.

Thanks as always!

6. BreachOfEuphoria
      Thinking

BreachOfEuphoria Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    7. laniakea

laniakea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      When I tighten the muscles of my neck, it makes me hear my tinnitus louder. It also happens when I open my mouth wide.

Does it happen to you too? Do you have any information about it?

I'm 20 and I don't know why I have tinnitus (I woke up one day with a wax plug and tinnitus, but I also have a cervical contracture since some years) so I would appreciate your answers.

8. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      So just like everyone here I am also poking and moving body parts to see what modulates my tinnitus. I recently discovered that pushing my forehead up and down modulates my tinnitus. I also noticed that when I push on my cheek on the side where my tinnitus is I can modulate it.

This in addition to being able to modulate it by moving my head / neck.

I guess I am just surprised with my new findings and kinda looking to get others experiences with it.

Thanks!!!

• Like Like x 1
    9. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      I can modulate tinnitus by massaging my forehead.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      There's a number of different conditions of the ears, head, jaw and neck that can connect to forehead modulation. Most of the time it's dehydration that can go hand in hand with understandable hypertension. Other reasons are sinusitis or a common cold. For older people it may be associated with tight neck muscles, aging disc or dental which will happen with age. Modulation of the forehead is more connected to middle or older age.

A test is to drink a recommended amount of water and to eat (some) food that contains iron. Overall there usually isn't much to worry about by being able to modulate the forehead. Yearly blood work should be a consideration for red blood cell analysis and vitamin levels for all adults.

11. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      @annV

Hooray...another person who can do the same !!!
      Not mentioned this to date as it seemed a bit odd.
      When mine is hissing if I massage the skin on my forehead and scalp it changes both the pitch and volume.
      I can get it whizzing around like an annoying wasp.
      No idea what it means ??
      But always bee sure mine is jaw and neck related.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I get enough water that’s for sure. It’s all I drink.

I have been seeing a chiropractor but also starting acupuncture and massage therapist (w/ reiki) to focus on my neck etc as it’s gets tight frequently due to sitting at a desk all day.

13. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      The confusion lies in that, generally speaking Tinnitus is either Somatic or Non-Somatic in origin, which is separate from being able to be influence it from the somatosensory system. You can absolutely have hearing loss related T, yet be able to modulate it through your somatosensory inputs. All this means in reality is that additional sensory inputs impact your T. That is pretty much it.

• Like Like x 2
    14. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      When I go to crack my neck, you know bending it to each side, my tinnitus changes and gets louder for that brief moment. What's up with that?

I do have messed up shoulders, neck and jaw...

15. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      This is common, mine does the same thing and I wish I knew why. Seems like some wires are crossed. I can actually make mine stop for a split second turning my head to the side- it quickly resumes though

16. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @JuneStar you may want to look into physical therapy for your neck issues. After a few sessions with a qualified therapist the symptoms lessen quite a lot. As a side note do not mention tinnitus if you get a referral from your doctor which should make your health insurance pay for the treatments.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @JuneStar Hi June, glad to know that you improving, told ya would.
      You're just getting gas bubbles in your facet joints that release sounds. Probably from ligaments and tension because your muscles are too tight. If there's no pain then don't worry.

• Like Like x 1
    18. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I see a chiropractor (she's also a friend) who is excellent and the last treatment I had she really helped. She said my neck and shoulders are messed up and my jaw is so tense!

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      so weird, right?

20. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      it is, but SOOOO slowly. I went to Walmart and didn't hear it at all. I did, however, hear the sound of my soul being sucked out of my body. (cause....Walmart)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Greg Sacramento I did not know that fact. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      same with me, it also makes it louder when I open my jaws wide.

23. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Since there is no "somatic tinnitus" topic in the Research News section, I posted this article in this thread.

Diagnostic Criteria for Somatosensory Tinnitus: A Delphi Process and Face-to-Face Meeting to Establish Consensus

Source: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2331216518796403
      Or see attached file

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
    24. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acustic trauma, neuro-lyme/rx co-op toxins
      My theory: this is caused by the location of the vestibulocochlear nerve (VIII) next to the facial nerve (VII).

Vestibulocochlear_nerve.gif

Then the facial nerve passes very close to the hinge of the jaw.

ans7_facial_nerve.jpg
      430508_1_En_2_Fig3_HTML.gif

There are many other nerves in this area also, but I think symptoms of somatic tinnitus (jaw movement) are electric punctures between facial nerve and damaged vestibulocochlear nerve because only they are placed next to each other (trigeminal is also near VII but not as VII.
      hearing.png

Who agrees?

• Like Like x 1
    25. Codeflowd
      Doubtful

Codeflowd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dont know
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      All these pictures and information.. I think I'm in heaven. :cool:

Gives me so much hope, that there might be something to reduce the volume.

Maybe even eliminate it. You never know do you?

My tinnitus has all kind of jaw/face/neck contortions that affect it. Recently I have found a massage therapist that really knows what she is doing and specializes in it. She does a lot of intra oral work and work on my SCM. I have been going for a month and my tinnitus has never been at such as sustained low. I live in the Boston area, I'd be happy to refer anyone. I just found them through trial and error searching. I am hopeful for once that I may have found something that works for me

26. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have tinnitus that is affected by all kinds of contortions and pressure. I recently found a massage therapist who really knows how to treat it and have been having some excellent sustained results. She focuses on the intra-oral and SCM trigger points. It's very specific and usually painful, but I have had several week now of the lowest sustained tinnitus since I developed it more than a year ago. Although i have regular massage for sports type stuff, this is very specialized. I have been trying dozens of therapists and this one really seems to understand the musculature and how to treat it. I'd say my perception of the sound is about half on average, sometime receding to almost nothing.

(as always, time will tell, but even if I only had a month of placebo benefit, I'll take it)

• Like Like x 1
    27. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Me too. I think it's so common it's normal for people with T

28. Murat

Murat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gun shot
      Hello,

I have tinnitus at my left ear (acoustic trauma, gun shot). But when I turn my head left my tinnitus increases. Not when I turn my head to right, only happens when to left.

Why could it be? Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

29. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      You mean the left hand side of your head. Think it's somatic (?) tinnitus.

Best advice? Possibly because it's all wired up to your nervous system etc so Don't push the left hand side of your head.

30. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Mine is the same. Try not to do what I did and become obsessed about changing your T by clenching your jaw or pushing on your head. I do this all the time to try and get my T to stop and have become a bit OCD about it

• Agree Agree x 1