Some Words of Encouragement

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joel4, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Joel4
      Cheerful

Joel4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016 (not sure)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, head injury
      Hello everyone! My name is Joel and I am kind of new here. I've had tinnitus since 2015 I think, but it's only now recently that I joined this site.

I know tinnitus sucks. That's why I want to tell you some calming words.
      If you had a bad day with T, please read this.

Don't be afraid of it. Yes, we may have T, but imagine having cancer/ebola/anything worse. T is not dangerous at all. It is annoying, but we can live with it.
      Say to yourself 'T is not that bad. I am a strong and brave person. I won't panic. I will control myself. I will enjoy life to the fullest. T can't stop me from being happy'

I send you lots of hugs and please, stop worrying. Be courageous

• Like Like x 3
    2. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I don't mean to be a scrooge, but based on the experiences of people with more severe T here, they're miserable with the quality of life they're getting.

In a way, I can relate. My T is mild but my H is currently moderate (but unpredictable and evolving), and I've found myself wishing I'd die soon so I won't have to live a long life of pain.

But having said that, I do agree with you that we need to be strong and brave people for ourselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Losing the ability to hear silence, or near silence, likely for the rest of your life, and be subjected 24/7 to a sound, that often is very much the kind of sound we would have dearly avoided back when we were healthy, can be devastating. Such words of encouragement can sometimes do very little in the midst of this reality.

Sometimes such words can also paint the wrong picture of this condition. If we, the sufferers, paint this picture of this condition, are we possibly doing the worst possible thing for ourselves; letting the medical and scientific field think that this indeed isn't as pressing an issue as many others?

Be advised below video has a tinnitus sound:

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    4. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Speechless.....:banghead:

5. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I have never panicked over T , It does not stress me much in a sense.
      Its just the brain eating virus that annoys me 24/7.
      I get the encouragement but for me this is the problem , its not a "sound" that i just need to ignore.
      When it is a "sound" that are my best days , rest of the time my whole skull resonates and buzzes at 14-15 khz.
      Unmaskable and much , much more then a noise.

6. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      No way is anyone's t sound like that??? That's truly unbearable

7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      That's @Steve's tinnitus.

I took it from the Sounds of Tinnitus video we created in the past.

Steve created a replica of his own and several of our members' tinnitus.

Mine isn't too much better either:

Markku's New Tinnitus Tone

8. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Wow I guess I am lucky that I only have a hum/buzz kinda sound and not a high pitch tone like these videos.

Tinnitus is an umbrella term and there really ought to be different defined levels of it. When you are new to t like the OP its easy to think that everyone experiences t the same, why would they think differently?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Actually, my T is a bit like Mark's first video however not as piercing and of course volume is a big factor. Mine is someplace between the sound that Mark posted in the vid and a hiss. My T varies a lot in volume during day and day to night.

As to the OP comments, most here for quite a while may find his comments perhaps a bit sophomoric but they have a grain of truth as well and application for many with milder T in particular. There is an adjustment window to T and this varies for many as well. The issue is OP, there are people on this forum with devastating intrusive tinnitus that is virtually impossible to will away. If you need further proof, go stand next to a 747 at take off...or maybe a fleet of them all day long and then get back to us about how your attitude changes your perception.
      Good luck to us all and hoping for a research break thru in 2017.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Yes, in fact speaking of the variation in tinnitus and how intrusive tinnitus can be so devastating, the medical community is about to release a new term to describe intrusive tinnitus because it is such a departure from more common mild tinnitus. The new term is called fuckeduptinnitus. A long word perhaps but if you sound it out, it seems most appropriate.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Markku
      Well said Markku.
      I would like to make a comment to @Joel4 . Tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. It can be: mild, moderate, severe, or very severe. When it is mild or moderate many people are able to habituate to it and go about their life doing everything that they want to with relative ease, as you are doing.

However, what you don't realize, the way tinnitus affects you isn't how everyone else feels. You have only had tinnitus a short while and hopefully it will remain at a low level. Please read below, a segment of text taken from my post titled: Tinnitus, A way forward. The full post is in my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, that you might like to read: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

Over the years I have read in tinnitus books that the condition is not life threatening, I have heard people say it isn’t comparable to any serious medical condition and therefore one should be thankful. With respect to all those people I would like to say this: you have to walk in a person’s shoes to know what they are going through, because I believe those statements are incorrect. Once you have been there and done that, then you are able to voice an opinion. It is true, by itself tinnitus is not life threatening but that’s not the end of the story.

Anyone suffering with severe intrusive tinnitus, I believe it is comparable to any acute medical condition, simply because of what it is able to do to a person’s state of mind. Anti-depressants are sometimes prescribed as treatment for tinnitus. These drugs will not necessarily stop the tinnitus but can help prevent a person from becoming too depressed because of the noise in their head and ears.

It is not often talked about, but people mustn’t be under any misconceptions about the depths that this condition can take one to. If tinnitus is left unchecked it has the ability to make a person think and do something irrational that otherwise they wouldn’t contemplate if they weren’t in such a distressed state. One only has to do a search on Google to find this out. So there lies the paradox.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 3
    12. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I have the same T as you Markku, well the original one that you had before the new tone. Do you know what frequency that is? It sounds like almost exactly the same, I wasn't sure if I had forgotten to set the speaker on or not since it sounded so alike.

13. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      Is this a support board?

14. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Support + a cradle for awareness.

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      @Joel4,
      Welcome to the forum. So sorry you have tinnitus at such a tender age. Many of the young people here acquired their tinnitus because of noise exposure. Is that how you ended up with T? Do you have hearing loss that you know of?
      I lost all of the hearing in my left ear three years ago. I have a constant hissing sound and ear fullness and I still experience an uncomfortable reaction in my deaf ear to all sounds I hear in my good ear. I never knew that deafness could hurt until it happened to me! It is not life threatening but it has been life altering in my case. It is more than just noise for me but I agree that I can always look around and see people who suffer more than I do in this world. I appreciate your hugs and encouragement. :huganimation:

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joel4
      Cheerful

Joel4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016 (not sure)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, head injury
      Well, I have hearing loss. I can't hear anything from my left ear and I have tinnitus on the right ear. I'm afraid I have Meniere's syndrome, but I hope I'm wrong.
      I am glad I encouraged you. ☺