Someone Help Me Understand What Is Going on with This Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by Reeree1994, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Reeree1994

Reeree1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      End of July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One week after panic attack
      I’ve had tinnitus for over a year - to cut a depressing story short it was triggered by anxiety and has never left.

After months it kind of toned down and I got used to it - fast forward to last couple weeks, I have been really anxious again, one night went to a bar because I was anxious and needed to get the fuk out the house, the music was not even that loud, I’ve been clubbing and shit with tinnitus louder than this bar - BUT MY TINNITUS IS SO LOUD SINCE.

This was few days ago, I don’t know if it’s from being anxious or the loud noise or both but will this subside? :(

I don’t understand. It’s consuming me. I can hear it even above the noise of traffic.

How long do flare ups last? Any advice on what I can do to help this?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It will probably subside, but it sounds like you might want to avoid all noises as loud as that bar and louder, for a while (as eventually it might stop subsiding).

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reeree1994

Reeree1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      End of July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One week after panic attack
      Thanks for your comment ! I went out again last night but it didn’t effect the already loud screech ! Should I also not listen to music with my head phones ? And how long do spikes last :(

4. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I can hear mine above traffic also so I know how it feels...

It would not hurt to try to stay as calm as possible. For some stress and anxiety can modulate their T. It does not for me but reading others experiences it seems to ...

5. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      You going to get all kinds of opinions on whether to use headphones and how much to "protect" your ears. Be prepared :). I am more on the side of just being smart with your ears. Never go over 50% volume on your headphones and keep it to an hour a day..

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Many people here believe that headphones can cause T to get louder.

Temporary spikes can last a surprisingly long time
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/head-movement-spikes-tinnitus.25179/#post-290614
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-do-your-tinnitus-spikes-usually-last.23110/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-was-your-longest-spike.22099/

I believe that you will find several points made on
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822
      to be helpful.

7. EarHair

EarHair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012 worsened Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and TMJ and genetics (Mom, Grandpa have it)
      You gotta make sure you wear ear plugs. I chanced it several times going to places louder than I should have. Every time you roll the dice, it might not make it perceptibly worse many times then one time something is louder than the other time, or each time it gets 1% worse you don't really notice. But eventually it will come back to bite you with a really big increase or an accumulation of small increases that you finally notice it is quite a bit worse than it was 6 months ago.

However with one bar that is not too loud hopefully it will go down.

If you are prone to making dumb mistakes though, take Magnesium and N acetyl cisteine and a new one I heard about is Nicotinamide Ribosid. They have been proven to preserve hearing of club goers and soldiers. Take it every day. Hopefully it can stave off damage if you expose yourself to loud things.

8. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      It's likely from both, in my experience. I suspect the two, stress and noise, may even have a synergistically negative effect upon the hearing apparatus. I would advise you to take it easy for awhile. Keep the stress and noise to a minimum while your ears rest and recover their strength. Relaxation is essential. Forget all the small stuff.

9. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Please be careful. You are potentially treading on thin ice here. It's not worth it, trust me.