Sounds going away

Discussion in 'Support' started by Grace, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      So i know alot here have multiple sounds with T..i have a hiss like sound that is really mild..and ontop of that was a sound like bells swinging but it was more like a sharper tone and constant like a tinkering really cant explain it. But about 4 days ago i was at a family party and noticed that when i was in the bathroom i couldnt hear my T so i plugged my ears and the bellish sound wasnt there. Still didnt come back yet.. Not sure whats goin on but the hiss sounds fainter too an under that i can hear a lil morsecode sound that is really faint that at times couldnt hear before cause the bellish sound covered it. Idk if its the weather but has anyone had like multiple sounds for one to go away? This one has mostly been stuck with me so im just thinkin where could it have gone? Either way it doesnt matter but just curious!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      1) Nobody knows as the sounds are random 2) Other patients have changing/occasionally fading tones :) The key is not monitoring it and after a while you will forget what it sounds like (as yours is very mild;))

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      It is a good sign Grace. Maybe it could go completely :) good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I know it was just weird cause this particular tone was the only one that really made me notice i have T.. Wasnt loud or anything but was noticeable in quiet places. Im at the 7th month point so im sure it could come back but like you said i try and not monitor but its hard when even though my T isnt loud im still protecting my ears when i go places loud which bring back the thought of T.. And when i get fleeting T it scares the crap outta me and i go into negative thinking that somethings not right but i try and tell myself its normal. Mostly just my anxiety i need to learn to control.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Maybe but at this point the slight hiss i have now like blends in with the quiet so its hard to hear but i know your thinking why the hell would i try and hear it anyway but i never like to say its "gone" cause my luck it will come back twice as worse. Just my neggative thinking i guess.

6. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I've noticed mine can sort of ebb and flow. Somedays, its really not too bad, other days, its excruciating. The more busy I am the better I can handle it... it's an ongoing process. There is of course the chance it's just going away for you! You never know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      False alarm guys. :-/ it got replaced with a new sound and this one sounds like between a hiss and high pitch grinding metal ugh. I knew i did too much damage for this shit to go away.. My anxietys kickin up!

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress

I have changing sounds too Grace. Sometimes it gets so low--a kind of tinkle but the next day it's back to the high pitched whining/grinding sound that I can hear over almost anything. I do think I'm having the habituation of reaction that we read about as most times now even though it can be loud I don't care. When it drops to the tinkle it used to be harder to deal with because it would get loud again and the disappointment used to be very difficult.

Hang in there--don't let the anxiety get you into the vicious cycle!

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah i know what you mean :-/ mine sounds real similar to yours.. Its that tinkling hiss and grinding high pitched.. And most days i cant hear it cause its so mild and im thinkin wow i like it like this.. Then bang up a lil again and i can hear it softly with the tv but its not screamin or anything but just cause it flucuates it really gets my anxiety going. If it would stay at one point and just be then id feel better about it but it doesnt. Maybe one day it will stabilize who knows. But freaked myself out so i took a klonopin and now the grinding noise is like gone again or so low again i cant hear it. Or maybe the pill just calmed my brain down from thinking so much who knows.

10. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Hey @Grace mine changes too. I keep thinking about something I read either on CBT or TRT (Neither of which i've tried). That the purpose is to retrain our reaction to the sound of our T. If we weren't so afraid of it I don't think it would be so bad. (In my case I just keep on assimilating it with my musical life being over...when I know that's not the case). Though I know it will and has already affected the way number of gigs I can play/amount of sound I can take, I know that I have to stay positive. Kind of went of into a tangent there. But Ehh...whatever...
      God Speed and I guess me and you need to stop sticking our fingers in our ears...it's out of our control.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah i agreee :-/ thats the thing its totally out of our control. I dont know how bad/loud yours is but mine is mostly real mild but when it changes constantly it just causes
      Me panic cause i have generalized anxiety disorder way before T so thats my problem. I really dont think i "qualify" for TRT at this time cause how mild it is and mostly doesnt effect my life but its the worrying that when it changes and i can hear it softly with the tv or anything and in my mind im just worrying about it getting louder and i know i need to stop doing that. But If/when hopefully not but if it does at some point effect my life i will be a mess and will go straight for TRT. Im a drummer and god do i miss those days..

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Grace I know---Mine isn't out of control. Still mild. But I am very very sensitive.
      You should look into getting an electronic kit...you can control the volume. Or look into another instrument. Nylon stringed acoustic guitar is a nice change.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah gonna eventually get an electronic one.. I can play guitar but im like moderate to pro at drums and have been playin since i was 5 so never giving that up even if it cant be a real drumset it will be close enough. Kinda funny when i was seeing a psychologist a while back for anxiety before T started, she reccomended me to play drums often cause i said it releases alot of stress so thats what i did and what do you know 4 monthes later i got myself into a room with drums and tube amp at about 115-125 db and blew my ears out. In life something can always fire back at you, even things you love and enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nice...You should get the a roland kit...they're the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. caffclifton
      Supportive

caffclifton Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthitis (Inner ear infection)
      Hey @Grace is your T constant or is it intermittent? Mine just seems constant all the time. Do you have any hearing loss? x

16. theekarwash
      Nerdy

theekarwash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and/or Ear Infeciton
      I've experienced this too Grace. I have a high pitched hiss in my left ear and intermittent alternating morse code type sounds in both my ears. However, lately those noises have changed/gone. Some days they're there, some days they aren't. I'm nearly at the 3 month mark now, this began at about 2 months.

I too play drums, but I'm not sure if my T was caused by hearing damage as I don't have hearing loss from 0-8000khz. I got a cold and ear infection 2 days after my T started.

I know how you're feeling, I haven't played drums since my T started, it's driving me insane. However, I bought a new guitar and honestly, it's making me feel 50% better about myself. I fill all my free time playing the thing.

May I ask how old you are as you said you were playing drums since you were 5? I started when I was 12.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah T is weird.. Past like week mines been so low its like 98 % gone.. Even sittin in my silent bathroom i gotta really concentrate and ill hear a lil hiss nd jinglin but its soo faint.. When it changes it does get louder but its not like dramatically louder just like one notch but is masked by practically anything except when the morsecode reacts. All so confusing. But im 23 soo ive been playin drums basically my whole life.. Really miss it. it was like my life but im buyin a roland which is an electronic so i can be incontrol of the volume.. You should do that too! We might have to give up acoustic drums but idc ill get use to some mesh pads i think it sounds better anyways :)

18. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      grace...i think it shows a wisdom beyond your years that with such a mild form of tinnitus you are altering your playing habits.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      You dont think i should be? Lol or you mean thats good that i am :)

20. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      i think its good that you are

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Constant and my ent said that i have normal hearing for my age.. But i was near deaf for like the first day of the noise exposure and sounds were all distorted and hurt my ears but that went away after a day... But the amount of damage i did, my ent said i was very lucky that my hearing came back and that my T dropped down so mild. 130 db for 45 mins is alot of exposure idk what i was thinking. Oh well now i know.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Oh ok yeah im never riskin that again.. Litterly scared me to death.. I wont even stand in the same room with a guitar plugged into an amp anymore.. Ill record stuff usin a laptop and no amp for now onnn!!

23. theekarwash
      Nerdy

theekarwash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and/or Ear Infeciton
      How do you know it was 130db?

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Afterwards when i had the ear problems my dad wondered how loud it was so he put his db meter up to how loud the amp was and played right infront of it came to 128 to 130 db. He was curious also cause he said his ears rang for like 4 hours afterwards, yet he was on the side of the amp and i was like right infront so i got the more damage the sound was comin right at
      Me plus my drums.