Spike After Playing Piano — Permanent or Temporary?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi

New to the forum but not new to tinnitus.

Long story short... I got tinnitus after an ear infection picked up at a hospital where I had grommets inserted back in 1997. After all the despair I finally habituated and have managed to live with this high pitched whine in my right ear/ middle head.

Two and a half weeks ago I played an acoustic piano (I'm an amateur) and the following morning I woke up and my 'normal' tinnitus was much louder and I also had a secondary noise like faint wind chimes. It hasn't let up since then and needless to say I'm worried this is my new permanent baseline.

Noise induced spikes - do they calm down, if so after how long? Has anyone else had a similar experience and did it settle back down again and if so how did it take?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Usually, giving some time, the spike will calm down.
      I hope that you don't play acoustic piano too long.
      Otherwise, it will take longer time.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you.

Still love to hear others opinions or experiences.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      usually tinnitus only worsens permanently is if hearing loss worsens or develops TMD, or low GABA levels.

5. lucy_snow

lucy_snow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss/ibuprofen
      @Contrast What is TMD? How do you know your GABA levels?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      How loud was this piano?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I measured it on a phone app at about 85-87 decibels at its highest. But I'm a real amateur so it's not like I was playing for 30 minutes like Elton John.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      So the prognosis is good Contrast? After 25 years I feel like I'm back to square one, particularly in my mental attitude towards it.

9. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I highly doubt that the piano caused your spike. If you never had a problem for 25 years, I double less than 30 min of 80-85 dB sound would do it. Did something else happen? medication?

10. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      It depends totally on where your damage is there are haircells, ribbon synapses, auditory nerves etc. None of us here on this forum can absolutely answer this question.

11. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Temporary.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Unless it is always relentlessly at the same level (and stays there for over 2-3 months), there is still hope that it might fade. It could take a year or two (this is based on the time it sometimes takes brand new T to settle, but those experiences imply that if I were you, I would wait for at least a year before giving up).

Temporary spikes can last for over 3 months.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-do-your-tinnitus-spikes-usually-last.23110/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-was-your-longest-spike.22099/

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is impossible for giraffes' necks to be as long as the necks we see in the photos of giraffes. No way!

As for not having a problem for 25 years, sometimes it takes years to cause enough damage for the person to realize that damage was being done all of that time. I hope that the poster won't play a piano again any time soon.

14. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Or he could buy an electric piano and turn the volume down.

• Winner Winner x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      3 days after it happened I had a day of almost complete silence. That night I went for a Chinese meal and took a Nytol tablet (over the counter sleeping medication) and when I woke up it was back and its never let up since.

Around the same day it started I started a course of Lymecycline but I've had this before with no issues. I stopped it however.

Fortunately my piano is a hybrid so I can switch to digital...even though I feel like taking a sledgehammer to it.

So in general the opinion is a spike that will settle?

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Was it loud there?

You will need to wait another month or two, before it would become possible to answer this. If your T begins fading during that time, then that would be a great sign. If it doesn't fade after three months, it would be a bad sign...

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      No, not at all Bill...just normal level chat. I was thinking more like the MSG in the Chinese.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      @Allan1967, I’d be very careful when reading online forums. I’m by no means a tinnitus oracle who can tell you exactly what you need to do, but what I can tell you is that many of the posters here are really extreme, and if you’re not careful you will become as obsessed as them. Bill Bauer will have you believing that everything is dangerous and often gives out advice that is impossible to follow unless you intend on living in a padded cell.

Also, phone apps aren’t great for measuring noise and many apps over-estimate by quite a margin. There is no reason to quit playing piano at all. If you find it irritates your ears just wear some filtered earplugs while you practice and then you can have no doubt that you’re fine.

Good luck to you and I’m sure you’ll be habituated again in no time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Many thanks to all who have responded.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks. As it happens I have musicians earplugs, which is why I'm kicking myself as well as beating myself up as so was wearing only one in my 'bad ear.

21. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Guilt is a horrible emotion. I’ve felt just like you so many times I’ve lost count. That feeling of ‘why didn’t I do this’, or ‘why didn’t I do that’. It’s truly awful. What I will say is that you need to put this behind you and look forwards.

I highly doubt that practising piano has damaged your ears; you may be over thinking it, or may be other things are going on in your life? The average piano played at home is between 60-70 decibels, with peaks up to 80dB if you play really aggressively.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi Ed...I don't believe it's damaged my hearing either as I have no pain, no fullness and no notable hearing loss that I can detect. The T just seems aggravated by it, again which I don't get because I've been in loud environments before...cinemas; power tools; lawn mowers; hand dryers; kids screaming, babies etc and all with no warning shots from my T. Except once when I'm sure riding my motorbike was making it worse...but that settled too.

I'm hoping this is my T's way of saying 'That's annoyed me, don't do it again' and will settle.

23. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Well I don't have tinnitus anymore but I'm still aggravated by intermittent ear pain and pain across my cheek, which leads me to wonder whether my initial incident caused something like TMJ syndrome. Is it possible for a loud gong noise to do that? Does TMJ resolve eventually?

24. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      @Contrast is a very intelligent man, but he is also emotional just like the rest of us. I respect his opinions but he is not an authority on this issue, nor am I. He
      I have had the same thought several times as I have had some pretty nasty spikes after chinese food. Yay China! First Mao, now this!

25. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      When I developed TMJ on the left hand side of my jaw I developed a new and horrendous sound. I got a mouth splint to wear 24/7 and a cranial osteopath. After 3 or 4 months it went away (the T).. still have TMJ that aside from locking up every now and then doesn't give me any bother except for the popping jaw thing.

27. Sarah Perry

Sarah Perry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj related
      Anywhere between a couple of hours and several months.

28. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      has the spike subsided from the piano?

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      No. 3 and a half weeks now. Don't know if I'm expecting too much too soon or if this is permanent.

I remember when I had a motorbike I thought it was making my tinnitus worse. So gave it up and it settled eventually....Not sure how long it took

• Hug Hug x 2
    30. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Did you take the lymecycline before the spike? I’m wondering if that is the cause or if it made it worse.