Spike or Not? Having Tinnitus Again After Living without for a Year

Discussion in 'Support' started by 3ri0w, Dec 4, 2018.

1. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Ok, so the eternal question:
      Is this is a spike or a forever?

I had had tinnitus for 5 years and then it stopped suddenly, hyperacusis stopped too. Even though the tinnitus/hyperacusis stopped I suffered from chronic back pain and leg pain etc but I have pretended to be a normal human being, since the tinnitus was just a hell or a prison kinda thing inside my head.

Last Saturday I went into a restaurant or bar or whatever to meet some people, was nice and all, we had a cabinet and it was quiet but after an hour suddenly a house band or whateverthefukk started playing REAL loud. Couldn't hear anything what people were saying, so I left with hands on my ears (didn't even have the habit of carrying earplugs anymore), but had to walk straight past the band to get out of the restaurant and then had to open the door since the door opened inside the bar.

I had not been near that loud volume since 4 years ago maybe? My ears felt fuzzy and it was just sad.

I dunno WHY (I wasn't intoxicated) I guess the people were too nice but 2 hours later I went back to the restaurant/bar because I was informed that the band had stopped playing. But our cabinet reservation had expired and we had to communicate in the bar room where we were given a table. People were communicating real loud in that space, some where shouting out of their drunken stupor. I'm so ewghgrfe stupid, I don't know why I didn't just leave again. I thought it would have been safe to stay, I don't really have any friends at all if being honest, I had met the people I were with one time before, and they were super nice so I just stayed and thought I could pretend enough to pass as a normal non-broken human.

I thought the volume would have been safe since the bar was full of people and I thought my ears were ok, but my ears are not healed, I'm not a normal person, it was just so stupid idea to stay. I thought it would not have been "too loud" since there was no band playing or this was no rock concert or anything.

Now this "tic-tic-tic-tic" tinnitus tone is back and it just sucks to be back in this headspace. Like this morse like tinnitus, unregular tone. Why was I so stupid mofo and stayed. The second time I went there we were there for an hour and a half.

I don't know if this is a spike or if this is what it is forever from now on. And I don't know if this is because of the band playing real loud or because I stayed in that bar too long the second time I went there.

And the worst thing is I had read just the exact same kind of stories like this before here on Tinnitus Talk, but I had like just FORGOT them. And now I don't know if this is just a fukked up SPIKE or if this is forever????? Really I had not even habituated, my tinnitus tones had really quietened down until last weekend's mistake. It was not like I wasn't just concentrating on the sounds or not being bothered by them, no no no no, they were GONE. Now I'm back to where I had been for 5 years and it sucks big time.
      iiIIIIIII iiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII iiiiIIIIIIIIIII

Would rather read what other people have already written on the forum, I know there are a hundred threads like this but can't concentrate at all.

I don't know what to do, kinda just want to kill myself or really not, just always felt like I "had to" even if I didn't want to. All the thoughts I used to have are back, like the second I realized "nononononono it's on again, I can hear it again after being without for a year" I instantly thought if I should kill myself quick or what to do.

If this fuknnn spike goes away I swear I'll never spend time in that kinda places again and rather be just alone and try to avoid that kind of places, just like I HAD avoided but then was an idiot and stayed for 90 minutes or whateveerfghjm,khjgtr. The tinnitus and hyperacusis can stop ye but the ears will never be normal. Just 1 stupid mistake and boom all the healing time is flushed down the toilet.

I don't want to go through THE TINNITUS ORDEAL again because there is no any ordeal, it just is or is not forever. Tried to seek help from everywhere and had ketamine infusions and all and nothing helped with the tinnitus or hyperacusis. And I have done this same stupid mistake (being in loud places) a few times before and they have only worsened my ear ringing permanently (or at least until suddenly the ringing stopped last time). Took so many years and now it's all ergtpgf pojthfdsalknbgffdskln

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Yes as you had correctly pointed out there are hundreds of stories here just like yours....
      You got lucky the first time and you might get lucky again, but tinnitus usually does not give second chances.

In your situation, getting prednisone might not be a bad idea... something to consider for sure but there is only a limited time window.

If you beat this, do not ever assume that you are safe...avoid loud places and protect yourself the best you can...
      Your life literally depends on it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Hello there, I went to a restaurant with a band a few years ago as well... Had a horrible setback but it eventually mellowed down to baseline. Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did it.........? Why U still on tinnitustalk then tho :''''(
      How long did it take time

honest

regards
      3ri0w

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What's the time window? Tried to google it but no go :|

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I sincerely hope that it is a just a spike. You will have to wait for at least three months before concluding that it is not a short term problem.

It is best to do it within 48 hours. But some sources say that the window is longer.
      Hers went back to baseline, meaning that it went back to the level that it was before the shock she had experienced at the restaurant.
      May I ask you to please provide more details? Was it at the same level for 5 years and then it fell silent in one day? Or did fade over a period of five years until it was gone? Also, was it completely silent, or could you still hear something when you were in a quiet room?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      All the annoying tones had disappeared one day and didn't hear them at all even if I was in a quiet room, even if I tried to "listen" to them, there was nothing to listen. I just had some _light_ hissing sound that was lush sounding, it didn't annoy me one bit. Like you know the same kinda hissing you get if you deprive yourself of breathing or just do some sports then you get a loud hissing, but I had regular "quiet" hissing that was just pleasant after all the suicidefultones u kno

I used to have just a constant tone in the beginning (lol) that was real annoying too because it was loud and just sad and then during those 5 years I developed more and more tones and I don't even remember how it was

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    8. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Mhmm. Yep. Even if our tinnitus improves or disappears or we just habituate, it's still a lifelong companion. A disability. Doesn't matter the volume, these lifestyle choices aren't sustainable for us. Some people were making jabs at my list in this thread: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...-murdered-by-merciless-tinnitus.29510/page-18

And yet, these are the consequences.

I hope you recover soon. There are other ways we can socialize and meet people. After all, a lot of people without tinnitus don't frequent bars or go to places with live music.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ye was just reading this thread of yours https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/date-night-ideas-for-those-with-hyperacusis.32099/

Good list on that thread you linked btw. You wrote: tinnitus is a life sentence, I feel the same way about hyperacusis. The ears can get better and "endure" louder and louder volume etc ye, but they will NEVER ever EVER be the same, they are damaged gods. And it's just too easy and hard at the same time to forget and undertand.

grthngfed you know I would not even really even mind if this was a last "warning" to not try my luck anymore... I would be happy to stay inside forevers, ____IF___ this tinnitus went away now and I could continue as if this and last week never happened. I would continue living my life the same way I had lived: trying to avoid sounds and being real careful.

Just gotta find a partner with hyperacusis lol. Regular ones will neverr undersstand even if they try to or if they pretend they do understand.. They'll just become resentful because they miss out on so many pleasant things (just regular social things etc etc, I tried to explain it before but people are people)

I'm just so unbelievably stupid and naive because I had read here on tinnitustalk about "The returning members with worsened cases" like you wrote and now I did the same thing myself. I really thought it would not have been too loud for too long.

Sucks to be punished (4ever?) for a 90 minutes of stupid. For a forever I just stayed inside my apartment and was annoyed at a fridge and computer fans and listened to music at like 30 dB or something (jus kidding) and plugged my ears when commuting in a bus etc etc. I wud continue that way if this stupid tone would just leave me alone now. I was a hermit and couldn't even talk with some people because their talking voices hurt my ears and they had hearing issues and couldn't talk quieter.. And now some months ago I developed some stupidstupid itch like "wows I would love to have a real friend or anything", just some people to spend time with. And it backfired. Tinnitus is my wife.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is really beginning to sound like none of us can hope to ever hear true silence again. I am not aware of anyone who had T who got to hear complete silence - everyone can hear something in a quiet room... Before I got T, I really couldn't hear anything in a quiet room. In fact, during the first 9 months, I had T only in one ear. I could always experience what I lost - my "good" ear would always be completely silent...

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have been in complete silence during these 6 years but I didn't really like it it's kinda scary really.. I like the sound of wind blowing thru some kickass trees and beutiful fountains you know not complete silence...and the light hissing is really pleasant, it's SOOOO quiet it's not bad at all, it's not "habituating", (I'll never habituate and never did) it's like listening to your favorite music, the hissing gives you goosebumps. The hissing ENRICHES everything you hear and listen to.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ^_^; I don't know if I would say it's as easy for people with noticeable noxacusis (hyperacusis). But I am biased.

You can try dating online or for general friendship meetup.com . Basically instead of meeting people at bars, meet people based on interests. Gym, karate, cooking classes, video games, board games, cycling, volunteer work, golf, etc. Not all such places are going to be good for you but some people with T can still do them. That's what we also should understand here. Our limits are not the same as other T sufferers.

Is your hyperacusis back too?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ;__;

I don't have any interests, tinnitus is all I had for many years lollll.... Ye maybe music stuff too but I preffferred to be alone without music wise buds. Honestly I don't even like anything, like all those things you listened sound nice but I don't really like nothing:( Or is it jus because if I have been talking with people they always cut contact at some point and never answerr again. Or if being at school and just being with people they respond with "don't talk to me" or "leave me alone" or whateverrrthyjm. Last weekend I had some buds that didn't immediately shoot me down or just ignore me completely, was nice until the tinnitus part. I don't even kno what friends do if being honesst.

Cheers, no hyperacusis back, atleast something good in this situation...Havea good night

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You are not missing out on anything good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok got Prednisone. Should I start or not hmhm what kinda taper/course should I do? What are the chances it will make my tinnitus worse lol?

17. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      How old are you if I may ask?

18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Were you on this forum sometime in 2017?

19. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes. Don't remember exactly when or why, but I logged in last year. Why?

20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think I remember you having a spike as a result of taking a risk and getting exposed to noise, and me saying something along the lines that we get only a limited number of second chances.

21. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah, I followed my family along to a karaoke session. Never again am I going there. I just thought that earphones/headphones(especially with how I used them) weren't as loud since I could control the volume, and there wasn't any of the high pitched sound wailing sound mics sometimes make. Hopefully I can still get better.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The sooner you start, the more effective it is. Pred is known to cause anxiety so just relax. Some people report that their T increases during pred but those cases are temporary and lower when the medicine exits their bloodstream.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just sucks. The only thing I cherished in my life was "atleast the ear business is over now, atleast I don't have the fukn ringing anymore". It was what I most the most proud in my life and tried to remind me of every day&nite.

And I had just walked away 10000 times from loud places even or ran away, I had not visited any loud places, I had listened quieter than how I hear music playing from my neighbors if they listen to music loud and the sound gets to my apartment through the walls, their music in my apartment sounds louder than my own music. Had made like 100000000 choices not to be in/near loud sound and now one fukkeduppedness and it all is ruined.

Wud be nice if someone could say like "ye it's going to ring 2 weeks now, then it will go away", I would put myself in coma for 2 weeks and then wake up refreshed. Or if someone could say "ye it didn't really start ringing for you on that Saturday, it had been that way for years already, you just had forgotten about it, you had either not cared about it or your computer fan and hard drive noises had masked the ringing so you hadn't even noticed". Or "ye you just have a flu or allergy or some thing that causes the ringing but I'll hug the ringing out of you"

I am not even in a panic or have anxiety or nothing so the benzopies don't help, I'm just annoyed by the T

even if the ears did heal again it's not like it's going to get better with pain issuesssss, I haven't been able to sit without pain, just been laying on my back or side or stomach all day for a year and a half now, or just showering for 2 hours a day (3 times a day but not 2 hours each more like all combined) imagining I'm in a spa, because can't even stand long enough to cook food because my back hurts, shower is nice

Tinnitus and chronic pain both suck and they have very much in common. For both the key is to jus "habituate". Or just "find some nice things to take your mind off it, relaxxx and do some things you enjoyyy", but you can't enjoy nothing because the T/pain is all u got.

For T you got them white noise generators, for pain you got TENS machine. For T you got psychologists specialized in tinnitus who say "Ye I have T too", for chronic pain you got pain psychologists or something.

Then for both you got people saying "ye just mindfulness and u get better", like you don't get pain meds you just got to meditate. And the mad with with meditation is because they say either "you can't do it wrong" or "you are doing it wrong" and if it is the latter, then you just gotta practice your whole life and it is said to cure the ill

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:

It was PrednisoLOne, not prednisone :( so no go

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dunno if this is a good sign (loL) but my ear aches real bad (even though I am on pain medication) and just feels weird. It felt just like this all the time when I regular H/ear pain, I just don't knowwwwww. This is normal after loud noise exposure tho so wa sjust wondering if this is a GOOD thing..

26. Redocooked
      Insomnious

Redocooked Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Work related Trama/stress
      Do you hear your T as strongly? Honestly, I wouldn't take a chance and see a doctor about this since the pain is still ongoing.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ye maybe, what would they do to pain? What does the pain meannn?

During these 6 yeards I have met Drs manymnay times and every time tinnitus is mentioned they just go "ahhhhhhhhhhhh" and then show the door. Or maybe suggest some hearing tests and psychiatric meds or just say "you jus have to live with it, there is no cure for it"