Squeaky Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have a few sounds, the low pitched solid tones (even though loud) I could care less about these days, I guess I have habituated to some of these noises. The high pitched squeaking that seems to bounce around my brain and into my ears is what is driving me nuts. It's almost like a squeaky wheel that I can hear above anything. It's not a solid tone, it fades in and out and doesn't stay in one spot. Every couple of seconds it could be in any spot in my brain or in either ear. The sound is shrill, almost hurts and is forever moving.

Can anyone relate?

2. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi Telis.
      What I can relate is that my T is not a pure tonal sound (like a beep sound for example)
      It is more a buzzing/hissing head. Sounds like the old CRT TVs, very high-pitched.
      This is more or less my base line - as you said driving me nuts.
      Sometimes, 1-2 high-pitched tones join the game. They are then oscillating in my head.
      As we know, every T is different. Different frequencies, different volume, different sounds.

The brain is playing its own symphony in our head. For everyone, a different one.
      We are the "lucky" ones and our orchestra has more members who like playing "a little bit" louder.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I think I have this exact same sound. Let me explain my T, a little:
      * constant - I always have a central buzz/hum sort of like a CRT or an overhead light. This does not come and go, and I think I may have had this forever (remember hearing it as a little kid) - it's very quiet, even in a quiet room I often have to plug my ears to hear it clearly, and it doesn't bother me because I don't think of it as tinnitus as much as "the normal sound of my head"
      * intermittent - I seem to go through cycles where my body gets "out of balance", and then I'll have worse T. This will include louder centralized electrical sounds, and the "squeaky wheel" sound moving around my head (though worse on the left ear).

Oddly, "candida" treatment seems to be helping a lot with the intermittent sounds including the squeaky wheel. I don't know why that would be. I was having a bunch of other GI and skin problems which led me to "candida" on the internet, but a lot of that stuff is insane pseudoscience, so who knows... mainly I've been taking very regular b-6, b-12, folic acid, and herbal anti-yeast capsules.

I should also point out that I just had a (medically diagnosed) run in with intestinal parasites, which are known to deplete b-12...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @linearb
      Sounds like mine.
      A head sound which is always "on".
      And some "electrical sounds" (worse in left ear) moving around in my head.
      What is a "candida" treatment?

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mostly mumbo-jumbo pseudoscience based on incorrect understandings of micro-organisms, I think. Basically some people think that yeast overgrowth in the GI track is responsible for all sorts of systemic health problems.

I don't know if that's a real thing or not; all I know is that in addition to worse ringing, I have been dealing with: stomach worms (this I'm sure of, based on medical diagnosis), worse acne than usual, red patchy itchy skin, GI problems that are sort of gross. Googling all that brought me to various things about "candida", and "treating" for that with b-6/b-12, metafolin, anti-yeast capsules and apple cider vinegar seems to have improved all of these symptoms including the tinnitus.

It's worth mentioning that it doesn't seem incredibly unlikely that I might have had an actual b-12 problem, just because stomach worms can mess up your ability to absorb b-12.... and because it is apparently possible to have stomach worms for quite a while without having any other symptoms! I would never have thought this was a common problem in the US, but apparently we're not nearly as insulated as you'd think -- especially if you have contact with small children, or eat sushi or other meats.

It's mind blowing what an overall difference doing all this stuff for a couple weeks has made -- beyond the (dramatic) tinnitus improvement, my skin looks better than it has in months, I'm not having all the stomach pain and nausea that had been getting worse and worse, and the gross GI symptoms have all stopped. It's mind boggling.

6. Noah M.

Noah M. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Right now I'm having like a second high high pitches ring in my ear. It sounds like when a TV is just on a blank screen and it continues to ring of Humm. But it seems like mine goes like up and down according to other sounds or movements... Any input now linearb?

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yup, I agree with all that. If you don't have other physical problems which would lead you to try the same insane anti-yeast stuff that I've been trying, then my best advice is "don't waste time measuring or thinking about the noise, it's just tinnitus". I know that's not always what we want to read, but, I think it's true.

8. Richard Wallace
      Thinking

Richard Wallace Member

Telis, That sounds kind of familiar. Having a second much higher pitched tinnitus sound jumping in and out. Sometimes that makes me feel almost faint for a split second like I short circuited/a fast head rush sensation, or something. It's driving me crazy too. Please hang in there, you're not alone.......... Rich

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks for the responses. I feel the high pitched squeaks as pain. I don't know how to get used to this. The rest is like a high pitched hiss, buzzing etc. I can get past that, but this other noise may be the end of me.

10. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I have the high pitched squeek constantly in both ears.

11. AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      @Telis Never give up matey! I know there's nothing I can say that hasn't been said to you before, but it should get better in time. I have an infuriating high pitched hissing sound in my head that comes and goes but when it's here, (which is often) it really gets me down. Like I start imagining my life before and the future to come and start comparing my life to 'normal' people and I can honestly say that it usually gets better.

As Stephen Hawking said, 'However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there's life, there is hope.' Don't give up now when next year or in 5 years there may be an effective treatment of something! Who knows what's around the corner! Just try and keep fighting it man, one day we'll get there :)

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks, yeah feels like it's going to be a life long battle. Was hoping things would get better but I think I'm past that point. Hope we get something soon.

13. Renee W

Renee W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I have the high pitch squeaks too. Exactly like you. It’s awful. Have you seen improvement with this? If so, did you do anything that helped?