SSRI (Escitalopram) Induced Tinnitus That Mirtazapine Faded Away

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Finnish83, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Finnish83

Finnish83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, but new tinnitus caused by SSRI
      Hello all,

I had a mild and sweet tinnitus since 1999 (when I was 16) due to noise exposure. This tinnitus didn't bother me at all as it didn't even ring. I barely noticed it ever.

So last July I started to take Escitalopram 5 mg. I had been feeling depressed so needed help. I'd been taking Escitalopram 5 mg and 10 mg before in my life for many years, without problems.

But now, about 4 weeks after taking Escitalopram. I noticed ringing in my ears and realised it was caused by the medicine. I was so clueless! What an idiot I am for not checking that SSRI could worsen tinnitus! The ringing faded away and I quit Escitalopram pretty quickly... which was so STUPID because on the 4th day after quitting, I woke up to massive pulsatile tinnitus.

Now I feel so fucking stupid that I didn't ween off properly. What a dumbass I am! :( :(

Nights were hell, this new tinnitus was driving me insane. High pitched ringing that got worse when lying down.

I started Mirtazapine 15 mg and lowered to 7.5 mg for sleeping as Opamox or Ketipinor didn't help much. Mirtazapine has faded my tinnitus away, and helped me sleep, but I know the tinnitus will came back as soon as I ween off Mirtazapine. Taking Mirtazapine long term is not my plan, as I fear it will make my tinnitus even worse. I also don't want to take ADs long term.

Soon I'm going to get hearing aids for masking. I have purchased a sound pillow, masking devices and a bunch of supplements.

I know I should have known better. I had the whole life ahead of me, but now I feel it's all gone.

I came to Tinnitus Talk too late. :( :(

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Thanks for the update. I also take Mirtazapine. It has helped my tinnitus but I noticed when I reduced from 15 mg to 7.5 mg my tinnitus increased after about 10 days. It could be completely unrelated but yesterday I accidentally got my meds mixed up and ended up taking 15 mg. My tinnitus decreased. Back down to normal dosage today and my tinnitus went back up.

Weird huh.