SSRI (Escitalopram) Related Tinnitus Has Quietened Down

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Finnish83, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Finnish83

Finnish83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, but new tinnitus caused by SSRI
      Hello all,

Last August I got severe tinnitus from Escitalopram. My tinnitus started three days after I took the last pill. I already had minor tinnitus before, but it got worse because of Escitalopram.

I couldn't sleep without ADs.

I was miserable and had to take some time away from work. I felt almost suicidal.

Now about five months later my tinnitus has quietened down and does not bother me that much any more.

This might be because I took Mirtazapine, Tolvon and also Ketipinor for some time, but I don't really know the reason.

Now I'm AD free, sometimes I take some Melatonin.

Anyway, just wanted to say that there is hope. My tinnitus isn't completely gone but is less bothersome.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @Finnish83, that's excellent news! Would you say it is back to where it was before you started taking Escitalopram?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Finnish83

Finnish83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, my tinnitus before Escitalopram was so quiet that I could only hear a tiny noise when lying down.

So no, my tinnitus isn't that quiet anymore, but the horrendous ringing is gone. I also had pulsatile tinnitus in both ears, that seems to be gone too.

I might have to start ADs again if the tinnitus gets bad, otherwise I can't work or sleep.

Luckily, I will get hearing aids from the public healthcare soon (although I might not need them that much).

4. Athens

Athens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/27/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      FWIW: I took a very small dose (might have been 2.5 mg) of Lexapro for one week and developed hyperacusis soon thereafter. I stopped taking it, but the hyperacusis has never gone away. I think that the hyperacusis developed after years of loud noise exposure from playing live music and several months of stress and sleep deprivation rather than the Lexapro.

5. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Finnish83 - remain positive, you have already come so far. No reason why you won't continue improving. You have hearing loss as well? Or are the hearing aids for white noise?

6. Thomas_83

Thomas_83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi. Good to hear that it has gone down. That’s very good news for me too.

I’ve been taking Escitalopram for 6 years. My doctor wants to take me off the med.

So I wounder, how long did you taper off? And did you take Escitalopram for many years/months?

7. jacksprat

jacksprat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      aspirin overdose
      I've been taking Mirtazapine/Remeron for 20 years. Tinnitus didn't get better.

8. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Thomas_83, I also took Escitalopram for about 6 years. I would strongly recommend that you taper very slowly (tell the doctor that you want to be extremely careful because of your tinnitus). And be very careful if you ever take another antidepressant. Best of luck.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Finnish83

Finnish83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, you definitely taper Escitalopram very slowly. I really did not and had a horrible ringing. I only took it about two months.

I had taken Escitalopram before in my life for many years and never had a problem with tinnitus. So i don't really know why my tinnitus worsened now.

I don't have any hearing problems, so my Phonak hearing aids are just white noise generators.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Finnish83

Finnish83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well I still have tinnitus but it’s not that loud and it doesn’t bother me at daytime. At night I use my hearing aids for sleeping, they produce white noise.

12. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Finnish83, what did your tinnitus sound like? High pitched? Unstable? Pure tone? In head or ears? Reactive to other sounds?