Stapedius Myoclonus Surgery — Can Someone Explain the Recovery Process?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DonF, Jun 12, 2016.

1. DonF

DonF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's palsy
      I am scheduled to get the stapedius muscle cut to alleviate the constant clicking from middle ear myoclonus. Can someone who has had the surgery describe the recovery? Thank you.

Don

2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Does this surgery not prevent the ear muscles from protecting itself ? What are your symptoms? Is the muscle hyperactive around everyday noise? I have problems with my left side, spasms with pretty much any sound.

3. Nowhearthis

Nowhearthis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MEM
      The surgery is a simple out patient procedure. Your ear will be packed while healing resulting in temporary loss of some hearing. There will be some minor bleeding (change cotton swab daily). Hearing may take a few days to get adjusted too but not too bad. No sneezing, blowing nose or water in the ear for a couple of weeks. You may experience a little pain, dizziness, nausea, metal taste but most people dont and if so it goes away quickly. You will be okay. I had both muscles cut in April. Doing the other ear early July. Good luck.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @Nowhearthis did the surgery stop the mem? I've had mem for close to 2 years now and it has gotten worse I don't know how much more of this I can take. Any advice?

5. Nowhearthis

Nowhearthis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MEM
      Chelles I feel your frustration. Ive had MEM for eight years now. It goes into remission for a few years, but always comes back The surgery helped alot. The ear does not thump although I can feel the muscles move, they no longer knock against the ear drum. On the other hand, the bad ear continues to thump, jump, snap, crackle, pop. Seccond surgery in two weeks. The surgery wont cure you, however it does provide a ton of relief. Both ears were not functioning any more. The spasms/thumps so bad, so hard, so tight my entire face would contort among other pain and discomfort. My E-tube is part of the problem too. After 8 yrs of madness, I took the risk. No regrets at all.
      How bad is it for you?

6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I suspect that for those of you with these kind of symptoms the normal muscle function is already lost to a degree anyway, but because the muscle is still attached and contracting abnormally it is having a disproportionate effect involving structures that normally wouldn't be involved. One principle espoused with TRT for hyperacusis is that elements of MEM are present and TRT calms the Limbic division of the CNS, in effect retraining the muscles, which is great if you've got a few years to spare, a high pain tolerance, and like playing lottery.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      My son had to have his middle ear bones removed and was in hospital over night.
      A pressure bandage over night and the packing out about 3 weeks later and went on ok.
      Needed a second middle ear opp a few years later and out the same day.
      Due in the next few weeks to undergo a third middle ear opperation and now 21.....lots of love glynis

8. Chelles
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @Nowhearthis mine came back full force espisodes lasting 12 hours or more making my ear and face super tight painful and sending my facial muscles into spasm as well. Did you have the endoscopic surgery? I contacted a doctor a few hours away who does the surgery but she goes in through the nose that way is less invasive. This MEM has ruined my life I want it gone the thumping sends me into panic and tears. Are you taking magnesium?

9. Chelles
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @glynis im not really afraid of the surgery I'm scared that it won't bring me much needed relief. Glad your son is doing okay.

10. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      But I'm sure the muscles are still useful, even if they are not working correctly? I would imagine that due to H, mine have become overactive and try to protect at the drop of hat which is annoying and painful, but, I think I would rather have this than have a higher potential for additional damage. Or are you saying that these muscles could be in a total state of malfunction and work randomly instead of when needed? I do get spasms when no noise is involved (at times) but it seems to me that its like any muscle in the body, if not given a chance to recoupe and is constantly overused you will get twitching at rest.

I'm not sure how trt can resolve this issue if there is real pain involved with noise. It's like trying to teach you not to flinch or put your hand up to protect yourself if you are being punched in the face randomly. I guess if it is fear based then maybe? Or is the muscle in protection mode actually what drives H? If so cutting these muscles should resolve H? I'm sure this is not the case though, so I don't know, it's all a little fishy.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The TRT principle is that because these muscles are autonomic it takes a process of retraining them, which involves removing Central Nervous Sytem/Limbic system triggers that have caused them to re-alter their deranged thresholds for action. Its postulated that the whole thing triggers from, as you say, the fear-based (fight flight fright) mechanism. I've talked before with Japongus about the problems with surgery, the main one of which is the lack of a concrete diagnostic criteria, and the seeming lack of research towards that end.

12. Chelles
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @PaulBe are you saying you would pick TRT over surgery? Im not sure TRT would help for me its impossible to ignore a feeling and extreme pain in my ear. Ive reached a point where i realized i cant live like this for the rest of my life therefore im going towards the surgery route. I dont have H so hopefully cutting those suckers will solve it. I wonder if you cut the auditory nerve would u be able to hear n feel the spasms?

13. Chelles
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @Telis yours sounds more like tts which usually happene when you have H and its different to MEM.

14. Nowhearthis

Nowhearthis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MEM
      Chelles my procedure was done through the ear - cutting ear dumb to access the muscles. Ive read about the endoscopic procedure being less invasive. As far as my ear being sensitive to noise without those tendons, its not so bad. Honestly, my ear was a lot worse with them. If a problem I put cotton in the ear. When my other ear is done, I may notice sensitivity more..we'll see. Hang in there ! Dont let the Myo rob you of everthing. It is scary but the surgery may help. Heck, Im scared going for the second procedure, but staying positive and hopeful. Have your dr/surgeon answer all your questions and concerns before you decide either way.

15. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Ah okay

16. Chelles
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @Nowhearthis i will def ask her all the questions and explore my options but its always good to hear from someone whos had the surgery done after all no matter how good the doctor is she isnt going through what we are.

17. Nowhearthis

Nowhearthis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MEM
      You bet. Dont give up. You will get pass this and move on with your life.
      Good luck and keep me/us posted.

• Like Like x 2
    18. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, if I'm saying anything about what I would or wouldn't do, its that I would pick surgery if it could be demonstrated convincingly that it would address my symptoms. Personally, I think TRT for me is about as useful as waiting for a bus that never comes. I think it is probably OK for people with a flat tinnitus that doesn't vary much and has no attached sound intolerance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. wot_1980

wot_1980 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Chelles have you had this surgery yet? I've noticed you're quite active on these forums. I'm new here but trying to find out as much I can about myochlonus which my ENT diagnosed me with. I've had it for the past month now, happens every few days. If I get it, it will happen in the morning when I first wake up. I've done some reading and am pretty sure it's my stapedial muscle that is going into spasms. My ears aren't sensitive to loud noises so I don't believe I have "H" or TTS. I would say my case is only moderate though. The myochlonus doesn't cause any pain but sometimes the fluttering in my ear can be bad enough that it wakes me up from my sleep. It's happened a few times now and I find it very difficult to get back to sleep. I do find though that if I put my finger in my ear (to block it), the fluttering goes away. Would love to hear how you're going. Thanks!

20. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      @Telis Hi, if you have hyperacusis, tinnitus, ear pain, etc...noise induced, good audiograms, that's TTTS not an inner ear problem. Cutting the muscle can be a solution

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Or it could worsen us. There must be a reason why most doctors think these muscles hold the ossicles in place and stop them from vibrating too much...