State of Mind

Discussion in 'Dr. Bruce Hubbard (Psychologist, CBT)' started by cullenbohannon, Jul 8, 2014.

1. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      HEy Dr.Hubbar hope your doing well, I just asked this question to Dr.Gans, and would like your perspective as well. I was wondering if you thought that the state of mind of a T sufferer could delay, or in some cases prevent habituation. Ive read different things from different people I was just wondering what your opinion was on the matter. I would like to add i think my state if mind played a huge role in getting to where i am now. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Dr. Hubbard

Dr. Hubbard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Hey Cullenbohannon,

Yes, according to the CBT model, state of mind can slow or even prevent habituation and adjustment to tinnitus. You can think of this as the relationship you have with your tinnitus: a resistant, fearful relationship, in which the person is constantly resenting and bracing against tinnitus, will keep their brains anxiously locked into the sounds, whereas an open, accepting, allowing relationship will soften the response and promote habituation and adjustment. This is understood very well from a scientific standpoint. In fact, the original form of CBT for tinnitus, developed by Richard Hallam in the 1980s, identifies and addresses "roadblocks" to habituation that are present in the person's reaction to tinnitus.

Hope that helps!
      Dr Hubbard

• Helpful Helpful x 3
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1