Stem Cell Brain Injections Let People Walk Again After Stroke

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Karrie, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Karrie

Karrie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2 9 /15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental visit
      Stem cell studies stuns researchers, stem cells injected into the brain helped stroke patients, walk and talk again.

Could this therapy apply to tinnitus suffers?

(Source)

moderator edit: added news article.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Link?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Source?

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      • Like Like x 1
    6. FuzzyFrey
      Dreaming

FuzzyFrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sustained loud noise through headphones
      I always felt stem cells were a good place to look when it came to curing some of the nastier things in life. It feels like it's progressing at a snail's pace, but hopefully it gets there.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Stem cell is the future of science but I have a question. Is this treatment will be efficient for T sufferers like me who have no hearing loss? As you know T can also be a disorder which caused from CNS. What do you guys think about it?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Quote from article: SanBio genetically engineered the cells to possess a gene called Notch1, which activates factors that help brain development in infants.
      In documents regarding hearing loss research I also see this Notch1 mentioned.
      I wonder if this treatment is very different from the treatments in , lets say, Bangkok.

Quote: “We used to think the affected brain circuits were dead,” says Steinberg. “Now, we have to rethink this, and I personally think the circuits are inhibited, and our treatment helps to disinhibit them.”
      Is this not somewhat similar to what doctor Wilden says about "revitalising" cells with LLLT?
      He says cells are not necessarily dead and can be re energised.

It still surprises me how it sometimes seems little is known about the human body. Also that the human body still has the ability to surprise and let scientists rethink accepted ideas.
      I do realise it is very complex.

• Informative Informative x 4
    9. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      Yes, stem cell treatment is effective for non hearing loss CNS tinnitus if the stem cells can be distributed there without complications. You see, it's hard to reach the auditory centers with a needle. I gather that they only introduced them into the brain barrier which is not so hard.

• Like Like x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Most likely, if stem cells were to be used to correct any damage to the auditory system of the brain plus the regions they interconnect, they would have to be placed in the area that the damage first took place. That would be the auditory nerve, since the spiral ganglion neurons that make us these nerve fibers connect to the inner most regions of the brain (limbic system).

For those that have ringing, I really wonder if stem cells are the key to repairing the damaged neuronal/cellular connections that are not only involved in the auditory system but also branch out to different regions of the brain. This can be seen through a fMRI performed on a patient who suffers from uncontrollable seizures and also has ringing in the brain. The article was posted on BBC.com on April 23rd, 2015.

It really seems as though whatever was damaged, presumably something with the auditory system, held together many other circuits in the brain as they passed through several other regions.

It's also very ironic how you can look at this image of the brain and realize that the areas not affected by any sort of ringing is mainly anything other than the limbic system which is much associated with our memory, emotions, etc. Most of the other regions not included with dots are involved with logical informational processing.

_82525784_82518257.jpg

Link: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32414876

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    11. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Then maybe we need to search a way to reach auditory nerves with needles? Maybe a brain surgery will be efficient for it?

I do not personally believe that they are improving stem cell therapy for tinnitus since they do not consider it as important as other diseases. That is, of course, disappointing.

C'mon. They can make people who had stroke walk and talk again and they cannot erase a phantom noise in the brain? Sounds unrealistic for a person like me who has not much knowledge in science.

• Genius Genius x 2
    12. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      The glial scars have been found to be very important when trying to regenerate damage in the central nervous system. Results have come from tests but the question is how long will it be until we can perform such treatments on humans and how much more work needs to be done to improve these tests to get the job done right?

13. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Well I'm sure that means something.

Thank you for the informations guys. I'm trying to figure out what will happen in the future bu your explanations. I hope something good in our way. Hopefully, less than 10 years.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      I believe the answer for effective delivery of stem cells will involve nanomachines. Research is currently being done at the Otomagnetics, (a spin-off corporation from the University of Maryland) in using magnets to deliver drugs to the inner ear: http://www.controlofmems.umd.edu/pu...ct-IntoInnerEar-AtHuman-Distances-Jan2013.pdf.

Personally, I think that delivery of stem cells into the inner ear first would be a good start. Once induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) are controllable, in that they do not grow too much and become tumors, they could be packaged within nanoparticles for delivery into the inner ear using magnets.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      This is exciting! Thank you for letting us know!