Steroids: Prednisone / Dexamethasone / Others (Oral and Injections)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, Apr 23, 2012.

1. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I recently had a huge spike in my T, full ear feeling and everything. The low volume sound I had trippled to where I could start hearing it during the day. After that another small spike happend not long after this.
      Within 48 I took my leftover prednison 60mg for 2 days. The sound lowered to a doubling of my base line.
      10 days after onset it was still at double the volume and I got a hold of 10 days worth of 60mg prednison.
      After the second day of treatment the sound lowered to baseline and after finishing the course and now 2 weeks afterward its still on base line. Im really happy with the result and am going to go way more heavily into prevention because my current state could have been way worse. Happy that it worked here.

2. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I took vitamin D3 (lifts your mood a bit) and kapikacchu powder (increases dopamine levels) plus took prednison in the morning so it would less impact my sleep in the evening. Next to that I tryed to act really happy all the time even thow I was really grumpy, my side-effects where not so heavy.

Had the same experience on a previous prednison course, lots of volume increase but then lowering after I stopped, guess thats common.

3. Nice
      Gloomy

Nice Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss
      Doctor recommendation.

4. lifeisover

lifeisover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/ plane+music
      Hi, my doctor prescribed me 80mg, 60mg, 40mg, 20mg, over 4 days. I was hesitant because I have had bad side effects when I took prednisolone 6 months ago several times in short dosages.

But I still took the 80mg today. And now I am worried beyond hell. I do not want more of the side effects that this drug gave me (muscle weakness). I am so scared and I regret that I took it. My tinnitus is unchanged or feels louder. I went to another doctor today to ask if I can quit ASAP, he said it would be ok for me to stop the one-time dose without tapering. I am waiting now for any side effects to kick in, I am so scared. I don't know what to do. I am already on a short-term anti anxiety med and don't want it to mess with my stress reduction (my tinnitus was panic attack induced)

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      This is the root of your problem: you are actively monitoring for any signs of badness. If your ear itches for reasons completely unrelated to Pred, you'll still chalk it up as a Pred side effect and stress over it.

Relax, the meds will get out of your system naturally in time. The half-life seems to be of a few hours.

6. nesto
      Amazed

nesto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      water slap
      Hi dears,

Let me introduce my story, I got Tinnitus after jumping into a river from a 5m height and slapping my right ear against the water. That was 18 days ago.

I went to the ENT 12 days after the onset, she prescribed me prednisone for 5 days (dosis of 100mg first day, tapering 20mg each day during five days). I had kind of a mild T (4/10), but the second and thir day on Prednisone my T became really low (2/10 or even 1/10). The treatment was finished yesterday, and my T came to a level closer to what it was before, maybe a bit lower (3,5 -4 /10).

Today I had control with my ENT and she told me that the treatment was over, that I shouldn't take more pills and should try to not focus on my T, that it might or might not fade away with time. This was a bit disappointing for me, since prednisone seemed to be working.

That is why I wanted to ask you guys, should I got back to the GP to ask for a longer treatment on Prednisone ? Or just follow her advise and not doing anything else.

7. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      So my understanding is that you take the steroid after an acoustic event or other physical event to lover inflammation. It's a good sign that the steroid did in fact lower your T. In the perfect world I could see taking more steroids but either way it's a good sign!

8. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I visited one of the few doctors focusing on the T/H field in Sweden today (there are not many) . When I asked her about prednisone she said that it is not used as their is no clinical evidence of its effect when there is acoustic trauma however, it is used for sudden hearing loss.

Which are the reliable studies that disprove her statement (or proves it)? I found this one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19160857

9. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      this already shows evidence that treating the hearing loss treats the tinnitus.
      obviously predisone has a 1 month window and won't compete compared to hair cell and synapse repair in the future.

• Winner Winner x 1
    10. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I had my severe trauma 5 weeks ago so I don't expect prednisone to help me this time. But I like to have it at home for when my next accident happens (which might be in 1 day, 1 month, 1 year or 10 years, but it will happen). However nobody here will prescribe prednisone so I would like to argument for it if there is a scientific case.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I had an extremely loud MRI yesterday and want to avoid worsening my tinnitus or hearing loss.. I got an urgent care doctor to prescribe me two days of prednisone but I’m not even sure if this is the right duration etc as the urgent care dr didn’t know.. MRI was yesterday. What’s the window for treatment to avoid worsening hearing loss?

12. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did the injections help lower your tinnitus? Or how did it work?

13. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Take them as soon as possible. I don't think 2 days is enough... How many milligrams in each tab?

14. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      50 MG

15. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I think they should have given you more like for example: 50 mg for 4 days, then 40mg for 3 days, 30mg for 2 days, and 20mg for 1 day.

At the same time I always wonder why they don't just do an IV and also give a prescription for a week of prednisone...

16. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      That is a higher dose than they give me. I just started MethylPREDNIsolone 4 mg taper pack. Maybe that version is stronger than prednisone?

17. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, the urgent care dr wasn’t too keen on giving it to me at all, I had to basically beg. So she’s only gave me two doses. My neurologist said I can take them although he’s not sure it will help . My tinnitus is much lower today so I’m not sure if it’s necessary, but I suppose it won’t hurt.

18. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      It won't hurt. Just take them.

19. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Very much similar. Methylprednisolone pack is for 6 days. You are taking it for that amount of time?

20. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Yes. For bad static hiss in head/ears and inflammation in neck/TMJ. I had 3 refills on it. I just started last night with full 1st day dose. I seem some better.

21. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Drink a lot of water.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My ENT just gave me a dose of 60MG for 7 days. So now just debating using it or not. My tinnitus is much lower than yesterday so I’m thinking permeant damage was not done and I’ve never used it before so a little nervous!

23. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Do it for at least 5 days.

• Like Like x 1
    24. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Natalie Roberts ,
      I have taken prednisalone a lot but for my lungs.

Fluid retention, full of energy, insomnia, vivid dreams, extream hunger and dry mouth will be common above 40mg.
      Weight on your face (moon face) is more common if on a daily dose.
      Coming down off a high dose will give fateauge as tearful episodes but will pass.

love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Why?

26. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I did feel quite jittery and unable to sleep well when I was on it indeed.

27. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @GregCA,
      The high dose is taken in the morning due to the big energy rush causing insomnia and the opposite reaction coming off them ,cronic fatigue and low mood crash .
      I now have to take 8 puffs of daily steroids but it's better than the dreaded prednisalone.
      love glynis

28. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @GregCA ,
      Do you know anything about what I'm going to tell you.

I have Meniere's, hearing loss and bilateral tinnitus.
      I do get eye problems with attacks.

Over the last 6 months I have found something out that I can make happen.

When I close my eyes and make my eyes push one way as if trying to look at my ear with eyes closed and focus on that ear sound ,I can block the tinnitus sound out of that ear and vice versa but only for about 15 seconds before my eyes feel pain and a pressure pain feeling after.
      I know eyes and Meniere's attacks and Tinnitus are connected.
      I have tested this out over 6 months to make sure I get the same results and works every time.
      Anything you can think of why it happens.
      love glynis

29. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home
      I would not take it. The evidence of its effectiveness is very shaky and limited while the side effects, now and later (avascular hip bone) aren't really worth it.

• Like Like x 2
    30. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That is very interesting, Glynis, especially because it is reproducible.
      I do not know why this is happening unfortunately, but if I were you I'd try to contact people who study/research Meniere's and explain that you can do this on demand. The studies on the bi-modal stimulation do show there is some "cross-talk" or "cross-correlation" from one sensory organ to another when the neuronal paths happen to get close to each other, so it's not far fetched to think that your eye movement could be impacting the region that is responsible for your Tinnitus... somewhere upstream "where the wires get close to each other" (sorry for the crude analogy).

I wonder how you stumbled on this!