Still No Proper Sleep, So Desperate — Does Deep Sleep Come Back with Habituation?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sironketchup, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Why the headphones? If the T is from NIHL most recommend no headphones, and no earbuds.

2. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I think for me, too. I don't think I can sleep with plugs. I think that is wearing them too long as I already wear some at various times of the day.

But, the t is loud enough without plugs but even more unbearable when I wear earplugs. It seems to calm down a bit around 11 PM and coincidentally, if I get to sleep at all, that's when I fall asleep if I am lucky.

I would need an overall reduction in pitch, frequency, intensity and volume etc. to be able to sleep with ear plugs on. Although, I wish I could. It's noisy outside even at night. I hate that I can't protect while sleeping and it just makes this entire predicament and situation so hopeless and insane.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It comes back. For me it was after about 5 months or so. Now I sleep 7 hrs. each night. You have to give it time and get the anxiety under control.

Once

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Digital Doc @dellwas @Drone Draper When you first got tinnitus, did the sound bother you and cause sleep issues? If so, what changed that you can now wear ear plugs and sleep? Does the sound not bother you anymore (why?) or do you have mild tinnitus? Do you have high pitch sound, fluctuating tinnitus, etc?

Not sure if it will work for me since my tinnitus is loud, fluctuates, and very somatic (sound changes when I change positions).

5. R. David Case

R. David Case Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      The Koss have titanium drivers and the coil size affects the results, the frequency range should be as high as possible too. The Koss go to 24 kHz. In other words the sounds and the electro-magnetic waves from headphones are what makes this work.

brian douglas testimony.png
      brian cures 6 year old.png

6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      At this point my T is mild, although still can easily get worse with loud sound exposure. I also have some H, but again mild, and really for a specific pitch of sounds around 4k and is more irritating than anything else.

I find currently that the earplugs promote comfortable restful sleep, and my T is always just about gone in the AM, and again builds up during the day, even without any significant noise exposure.

When I first got the T, I could fall asleep from exhaustion, but the wake up a few minutes later to any small sound, often a car passing by the house. It would then take some time to fall asleep again and the process would repeat. Also, lack of sleep in general makes the T worse so this just feeds into it.

7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Not sure why these headphones go to 24 khz, which is beyond the range of normal hearing.

If this works for you, sure go for it, but consider me skeptical.

Not sure there is any evidence for the magnetic waves from headphones being therapeutic to any disease, and if this was the case, could just listen to any random CD.

8. R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have eliminated or reduced tinnitus in 446 people so there is no question it works. Every one is skeptical at first. It is free, you can try it or not, I have been tinnitus free for 18 years only from this Tinnitus Mix as have many others.

mary t gone.png
      person 382 mirical.png
      brians friend t gone 6.png
      endaw shri t gone.png
      52720412_2070211023100457_5112668041968091136_n.jpg
      Screenshot_2019-03-07 Tinnitus reduced or even eliminated by device that resets brain activity .png
      subcon hears.png

9. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Thank you for the links, and you are obviously enthusiastic for it.

Unfortunately, I do not see a randomized control trial in what you provided, so there is little evidence for it, except for some random testimonies in the form of letters. Remember that the natural history of T tends to get better in the majority of cases as the user habituated, and the placebo effect can be strong as well.

The pub med link you provided talks about the hypersonic effect, but in more recent research this is induced from high frequencies, not from electromagnetic, and needs to be presented "to the listener's entire body surface but not when presented exclusively to the listener's ear." (A Fukushima et al, PLoS One, 2014). Listening to a CD with headphones would not do that.

10. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Hey, thanks for mentioning that. I've been curious about the 5HTP, but I've read that serotonin makes tinnitus worse and am scared to try it. How often do you take the 5HTP and how much?

Just saw that @Jazzer addressed this.

I really wish there were more positive posts regarding serotonin, but so far everything is negative.

11. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      I only need it occaisonally, maybe once a week, only one or two 25mg capsules. All I know is that it works for me, and a helluva lot better than prescrition meds. Won't go through that hell again. YMMV.

12. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      For me no, managed to sleep no matter how loud it was, perhaps 90% of the time. Don't ask me how, no idea. :)

13. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I used melatonin gummies for the first few days to get sleep patterns back reestablished.

14. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I'm glad you've found something that helps, and thanks for sharing how much and how often.

• Like Like x 1
    15. MartinNYC
      Elated

MartinNYC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/TMD
      Did your ENT consider TMJ as the possible cause of your tinnitus? If not, go to one who’s knowledgeable. My ENT doc dismissed my ears as causing my tinnitus and figured out it was my TMJ, subsequently verified by my physical therapist.

16. R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      testimony t gone 3.PNG
      Thanks for advice, the brain does not have to process Tinnitus Mix (ultrasonics) but with that being said the subconscious can perceive way above 20 kHz. The Tinnitus Mix I invented is interfering with a feedback loop that is in the tinnitus structure, once that breaks down the tinnitus leaves for 2-3 weeks and then tries to reform. Some report it never comes back.

By the way the posts and letters are not random, Brian Douglas is moderator of the largest tinnitus group on Facebook (21,000 members) and he and 2 others in Europe have formed a test group of 700 just to test my system and are getting good results, hear are some posts from there and a document talking about the feedback loop.

tinnitus has loop.PNG
      t gone ann greagory.PNG
      testimony t gone 5.PNG
      t gon dellep.PNG
      ground breaking news.PNG
      t gone denise dawson.PNG
      hearing aids work therapy.PNG

• Like Like x 1
    17. David Dorci

David Dorci Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/09/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication, Depression
    18. LunarRXA
      Anime

LunarRXA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Headset.
      I've been getting about 5-6 hours on average. It's alright. It'd be nice to get 8 hours, but it's been than 2-3.

19. Brenda in NJ

Brenda in NJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm in the same boat. About 3 months in for me and I can't sleep. I have to take a med that completely knocks me out. Which I am sure does not help the tinnitus since it's a side effect of so many of these meds. I also take meds for anxiety, which I am already trying to get off of. Just weaning off one of the meds is ramping up the tinnitus. It's a no win situation. :( My point is just try and avoid too much medication, but if you need something to sleep you have to take it. Sleep is very important and without it, tinnitus will be worse. I am a very anxious person and I suffer with OCD, so I get where you are coming from.

• Winner Winner x 1
    20. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My medication alone (Trazodone 50mg) does not always work; there have been a few nights where I have not slept at all or just a couple of hours. I can only sleep when the tinnitus is masked almost completely or is a bit lower volume or a more hissy tone. It all comes down to how the sound is that night.

21. Brenda in NJ

Brenda in NJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      so frustrating I know. my problem is that I also have hyperacusis, so anything too loud is annoying. and I swear that my tinnitus gets louder and tries to out do the masker I use.

22. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      I seriously struggled with sleep for about 8-10 weeks. 3-4 hours a night sometimes less. I have mild H too.

I’m not sure what changed at the 3 month mark but sleep just became easier. I use waterfall sounds on my phone that distracts me from the ringing

23. TWK

TWK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Since getting tinnitus ~15 months ago, my sleep has been seriously affected. Generally, my T doesn't bother me too much these days, although certain days it is much louder. I have no problem at all falling asleep, but I tend to wake up after 4-6 hours. Some days I can get back to sleep fairly easily, other days I never get back to sleep.
      Seems to be related to a larger, system-wide nervous system hyper-activation since when I wake up during the night, it tends to be accompanied by night sweats.
      If I get just the right amount of exercise, it helps. Too little, and I don't sleep well. Too much, even if performed at 6am, and my sleep that night is totally broken. It's hard because I'm a former competitive athlete, and I want to workout hard every day.
      I've tried everything including regular and time-release melatonin (actually makes my sleep much worse), mirtazipine (knocks me out, but feel like a complete zombie throughout the next day), benzos (just so bad for you on so many levels), and tryptophan (crazy dreams and jittery next day), and have found nothing that works for me.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sironketchup

Sironketchup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL / Stress / Covid?
      Hey guys, I have lived with severe tinnitus for over 2 years.

Habituating to it during the day is one thing, but honestly, I have not slept properly since getting tinnitus. I often manage to fall asleep somehow, but after 3-4 hours I wake up with loud tinnitus and just can't fall asleep again.

I just can't habituate to no sleep.

I take Valerian root in high doses every night, and often Mirtazapine or Zopiclone. But even this stuff can't get me to sleep properly.

I am so desperate. The simple fact of not being able to sleep ever again makes me suicidal. I'm trying to survive every day...

• Hug Hug x 4
    25. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      While not ideal, have you tried masking?

26. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      Sorry to hear the sleep is still an issue. Insomnia makes everything more difficult.

What does your average day look like? I’d suggest getting some solid exercise during the day if you aren’t already, being careful with your eating (particularly in the late afternoon / evening). Sleeping pills, while useful at times, are not a good long term solution unfortunately.

27. livewire77

livewire77 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music on headphones
      Where are you from? If you live in US , you can try some orexin blocker. Dayvigo for example.