Stopped Smoking and My Tinnitus Became Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by katriina, Mar 3, 2014.

1. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I don't get this... Now my left ear started low ringing that hasn't been there for a long time... My right ear doesn't ring that loud anymore but why my left ear started this low loud ringing!!!?? Can this have something to do with quitting smoking??? I haven't smoke for 5 days now.. But I didn't smoke a lot when I smoked, like 1-3 cigarette per day!!

2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      i read online somewhere that said smoking can cause spikes with T and also quitting smoking can cause spikes... Idk but it seems to me like your doomed if you do and your doomed if you dont.... Very stressful but i smoke a pack a day and it hasnt spiked so maybe if i quit it would? Idk :-/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I seriously think that I start smoking again if this kind of spikes will contiune... I just can't handle it! My tinnitus also lowers while smoking o_O Have you always smoked or did you start smoking after tinnitus?

4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Ive been smoking since i was 13.. quitting would be an awsome thing but i am not anywhere in a state of mind yet in life where im ready to quit.. Maybe nicotine has the effect where it lowers your T? Idk could be possible

5. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Maybe your brain try to get use to your situation.
      I dropped my Blood pressure pills for two weeks and my T increased.
      After we die, we must have a VIP tickets for heaven.
      it's Fu*king Annoying.

• Like Like x 5
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I thought that too and I hope this T calms down soon... I just don't believe that this increase in volume would all be because I quit smoking! I would understand it if I would have smoked like 10 cigarettes per day...

7. Micky
      Dancing

Micky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 / 2000
      Saif wrote
      After we die, we must have a VIP tickets for heaven.

hehe how do you know Saif your going up there.. And if you do ... Will ya still have this damn shite. ?? who knows eh ..

8. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @Micky

I'm 19, So I will have it all of my life and then I will go to hell !
      I don't think so.
      : (

9. Micky
      Dancing

Micky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 / 2000
      Saif a guy i know.. He's just 24 .. And had tinnitus from a loud night club just a month ago.. He's struggling with it right now.. In your life time and not too far off..there Will be a cure mate.. If that makes you feel a little better.. Keep positive and you will be fine.. Micky

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      You wont have this all your life :) if you plan on living to your 80s SOMETHING effectives gotta come out in that time span... I give it 10 years and something will be out to calm T..

• Like Like x 1
    11. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      could it be the stress from quitting causing the spike? maybe give it a few months or so to see if it dies down.

12. Cicada_Ears
      Bookworm

Cicada_Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2013
      Did you use anything like Chantix to stop smoking?

13. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      You'll be fine, I guarantee it will settle. The spike you are experiencing is most likely from nicotine withdrawal. Anything that messes with your brain chemistry can cause temporary changes in the perception of your tinnitus. Once your brain settles down a bit, so will the spike.

Stay strong! I was a smoker for 14 years and it took me many attempts to quit but once I did I felt infinitely more healthy than I have in a very, very long time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    14. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      Giving up smoking is one of the best things you can do in your life. Depending on how long you smoked and how many when you stop it affects different people in different ways. My wife went through withdrawal and was physically sick for about 2 weeks. She started smoking when she was about 16. Once you are over the hump you will never smoke again. Maybe it affects tinnitus for awhile but it will be temporary but the benefits of not smoking will last your entire lifetime.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      No, I just try to stay strong on my own and think to myself that smoking isn't worth it... It's still hard!

I'm not sure, although I have a very stressful period going on in my life..

@yonkapin Thanks, I really try to stay strong and give it a chance so I will see how quitting effects to my T!

16. Cicada_Ears
      Bookworm

Cicada_Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2013
      You can do it! You already seem convinced and that is half the battle.

17. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      My "T" started a little more than 3 years ago and I quit smoking two years ago (actually, 26 months ago). I smoked for 50 years. I still cannot believe I quit??? If I can quit after 50 years, believe me, anyone can quit! In any case, my "T" is terrible (screaming loud), but quitting smoking made no difference. I think that when you quit smoking everything bothers you more. I guess you could call it irritable brain syndrome. That gets better with time.

The only thing that I've found that helps me deal with my "T" is keeping my mind occupied and staying positive. It really works when you work it! When I don't dwell on my "T" it magically fades away. The more I get out of my own head, the more my "T" fades away.

18. Fergie
      Confused

Fergie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2000
      David that's interesting, I'll try it. I quit smoking 1 1/2 yrs ago and two months later my ears rang tenfold louder than when I smoked. Now it's almost unbearable and the depression is worsening.

19. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I started smoking after T, due to the stress. Seemed to make my T worse (or could have been a coincidence). Stupid move, but I find it tough to make any intelligent choices when suffering like this.

Smoking helps me get through the day being a nervous anxious wreck, be next to impossible to give it up now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    20. Michelle Eales

Michelle Eales Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stopped smoking and stopped drinking coffee.
      Hi Im new on this forum, I believe my PT started when I gave up smoking, however no medical professional will agree lol. I know my own body, I have smoked for the last 30 years, I also drank alot of coffee, when I gave up smoking I also gave up coffee as I associated smoking with coffee. This is the only change in the month of October/November I made and omg, I woke up one morning in November with this whooshing in my right ear 24/7. I can stop this if I press on my neck, if I release the pressure it starts again, the whooshing can be very intense especially when im tired. I removed 2 heavy chemicals at once from my brain and this started, I dont know what will happen, if it will stop as the doctors I have seen know nothing about it and appear very flippant about it. It is a nightmare, havent slep well since November 2015 cant function properly, Im exhausted.

21. Madd

Madd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi.. so I use a vaporizer. I only use 3mg of nicotine but I think it affects my tinnitus. My tinnitus has always been kinda bad but in the last few months it's been unbearable. My boyfriend says I should give up vaping but now I'm scared because of all the replies on here saying quitting only made their tinnitus worse.. if mine gets any worse I don't know what I'll do. It gets to the point where I lay in bed and cry because it's so bad.

22. Wjd

Wjd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I smoked for 30 years and quit in Nov. 2016. My T started in Dec. I wonder if they are related?

23. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic drugs/ maximum stressful job
      I certainly hope not. Tinnitus is caused by so many other factors. How are you doing now?

24. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      As someone in this forum told me. When you quit something you are addicted too your body and brain will react cause it craves the cigarette, medicine or whatever it is, so your brain will go into a panic mode until it settles, this panic mode will result in anxiety, stress and that can cause or spike T but it'll disappear. Your body just needs time to readjust.

25. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic drugs/ maximum stressful job
      That's an excellent comment. I've found that to be true over and over again. Very reassuring.

26. Eddie E

Eddie E Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      Smokjng increases Gaba. Gaba inhibits over active brain signals like those that lead to tinnitus. It works like benzodiazepines. Stop smoking and you will have a Gaba crash and on teased Tinnitus until your brain rebalances. Take a short course of clonazaepam to alleviate this. But only a short course. Quitting that will also spike your Tinnitus as it messes with Gaba as well.

27. Jim Goose

Jim Goose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ????
      I quit dipping in January and went on the patch. My tinnitus began a week later. Sure there may be other culprits, but I would never go one the patch again.

And yes, I dip again. WTH does it matter now.

28. Dirtworks

Dirtworks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly loud power tools
      I too have terrible tinnitus and mild tension headaches shortly after quitting smoking and coffee simultaneously. A pack a day and 4-5 cups of coffee was pretty standard. I also stopped smoking marijuana at the same time and started eating healthier. The threat of COVID-19 was what I needed. As an asthmatic I figured my survival chances would improve should I get it. 5 months later my breathing is much better but the tinnitus is terrible. I’ve had a couple consecutive days reprieve which had me feeling pretty optimistic but then it came back. Just started taking CBD oil and 10 mg Amphetamine XR for the anxiety and probable ADHD. Professional tested me for it 20 years ago and came up negative but my current family doctor felt it was worth a try after we discussed.

29. JYD

JYD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      Congrats on quitting all of that. So it's been 5 months. Did you ever notice tinnitus before? And are you relating your current tinnitus to withdrawing from nicotine? Have you visited an ENT for any other tests?

30. Dirtworks

Dirtworks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly loud power tools
      Hi JYD, thanks for the pat on the back. I have noticed the tinnitus a couple times in the distant past but only very short term after a loud noise. I really don’t know what specifically caused it or if it was caused by the combination of everything. I have a hearing test in 2 days but have to wait 2 months to see the ENT doctor.