Stress-Induced Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jesseskat, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Jesseskat

Jesseskat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Started when when my Dad was critically injured.
      Hi! I just joined this forum. My tinnitus started last year. May 2016. My Dad was critically injured and after 3 weeks of trying to get him home from New York (I'm in Texas), it started during the week we got him home and I was trying to get him settled into rehab. It has not stopped since then. The only time it went away was when I was taking Xanax 2x a day. I ran out of Xanax. And my new physician won't prescribe Xanax. Right now I'm on a really small dose of an anti-depressant. And it hasn't touched the noise in my ears. I also went to an ENT who did a CT scan and hearing test and both were negative. He said there was nothing more he could do.

Are there any other suggestions to calm down tinnitus? I can handle it at work, I listen to music. But at night (even with a loud fan), it makes me feel out of control. And in the car (if I'm a passenger), it makes me nauseous. Also, recently I returned from a 7 day cruise and I was completely miserable the whole time because my T caused extreme nausea and dizziness. Patch didn't work. Oral meds didn't work. I'm getting to the point that I'm desperate for help. Am thinking about looking into acupuncture, hypnosis?

Any suggestions, ideas, would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Jesseskat

Your ENT doctor may not be able to help you further and in most cases when this happens, a referral to see a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist who is trained in tinnitus treatment and management will be able to help. There are a variety of treatment options that could help you. Counselling, sound therapy and medication . Please click on the link below and read my article on tinnitus. It covers causes treatment and coping methods.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jesseskat

Jesseskat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you so much! I will read your article more thoroughly tonight. I did scan over it and I take a beta blocker! And have for 30 years. I felt dismissed by the ENT I saw last year so have been somewhat timid about seeking further help past my GP. My sister in law is an audiologist and I did tell her last year that I had tinnitus. I just haven't talked to her any further so she probably thinks it has subsided. Thank you for your email and article! I'll text my SIL right now and ask her opinion or suggestions for a referral.

All the best to you as well!

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Jesseskat

Hopefully your sister can put you in touch with a Hearing therapist as there is a lot than can be done, you don't have to suffer like this. Try not to sleep in a quiet room by using a sound machine at night by your bedside. More about this is explained in my article. If you click on my "started threads" there are many articles there for you that might be helpful.

Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jesseskat

Jesseskat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Michael . . . Thank you again for all of the incredible information! My sister did direct me to an audiologist so that will be my next step. I will read over all of your most helpful material this weekend.

Have a wonderful weekend!

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind comments @Jesseskat If possible please let me know how you are getting on.
      Take care and hope you have a nice weekend too.
      Michael