Stressed Out Over Latest Setback Just When I Had Tinnitus Under Control

Discussion in 'Support' started by AWilson32, Jan 23, 2017.

1. AWilson32

AWilson32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphone use
      My first experience of T was one year ago and the first five months were nightmarish to say the least. I was using in-ear maskers way too much which only caused my T to spike. However since then I'd began a course of Betahistine which appeared to have taken the edge off my T.

I only use masking sounds at night to help me sleep, and a 50mg dose of Promethazine has helped restore matural sleep patterns. My T had for seven months became far more manageable amd did not occupy my mind much.

But since Wednesday I've been experiencing a spike that's coincided with me coming down with a migraine. I can hear a kind of "double noise" in my right ear. This in turn has caused increased stress and increased sleeplessness. I've stopped with the Betahistine which can cause headaches.

How long do these spikes last ? Is it my migraine that's caused the spike ? And how do I restore my natural sleep patterns ?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AWilson32

AWilson32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphone use
      Seems worse at night. Its almost as if the T adapts to the masking sound.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Spikes usually run their course but ease off over a few days.
      I would see your doctor for help with the Migraines and sleep loss .
      Melatonin can help sleep and should help get you sleeping pattern back or somthing stronger if needed.
      When masking tinnitus make sure its set below your tinnitis so your brain works hard to pick up the lower masking sound and help your brain build up its natural filter to not see tinnitus as a threat and help you not focus on it as much....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I've believed I had my tinnitus under control several times over the last few years. Silly me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AWilson32

AWilson32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphone use
      Thanks as always Glynis. Its very frustrating as I genuinely had a nice six months or so where my T had stabilised and I got back into my routine.

This last week with this high pitched spike has been a major setback and knocked my confidence with a return to some of the terrible thoughts I had before.

As you know here in the UK, its such a hassle trying to get a swift GP appointment. I wish I had someone to talk to as I often feel I'm suffering in silence. I don't want to tell my family the extent of my worries as I wouldn't want them to freak out.

I'd take the dull ring over this high pitch any day.

• Like Like x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Always welcome give me a call....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    7. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      I to wish we could pick which tone, pitch, buzz, hum. Funny to say this but my coworker even asked me if I could pick.....

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Sooner Arrow
      Cheerful

Sooner Arrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @glynis - Hello again... Yesterday I tried that AudioNotch Tinnitus Tone generator using a "Gucci" Bose Noise Cancelling headset and during testing, I inadvertently spiked my volume to 100% for just a couple of seconds and now my right ear (normally the quieter one) has been blasting at least a 50% volume spike. So it may ease off after a few days?

Are there any instructions on what I'm supposed to be looking for to determine my T tone? Or is it just cancelling the tone out? I went up to 22Khz before I blasted my ears.

@Jake007 - See remarks above to @glynis. The tone generator site is: http://www.audionotch.com/app/tune/ however as you can see I'm not sure how to use it.

• Creative Creative x 1
    9. Sooner Arrow
      Cheerful

Sooner Arrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Are you able to sleep with an external masking noise like a TV, stereo or a rickety box fan :)?

Like @glynis said, I've always had to keep the external mask noise below my the loudest tone before I can go to sleep with my TV on. Since I've switched to strictly streaming media for my TV and something comes on that had its recording volume set to MAX, it will wake me up immediately. T has affected my sleep for over two decades and I've been on prescription sleep meds for a very long time.

10. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I'm sure your spike will settle down again in your good ear.
      Try to relax and not let anxiety take hold as that will feed your tinnitus.
      Lots of relaxation and a good night sleep works wonders...lots of love Glynis

11. Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is it just to see what kHz your t is at

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AWilson32

AWilson32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphone use
      Yes, I use a noise generator that plays rainfall which has helped with sleep. It switches itself off after 60 mins, usually by the time I get to sleep.

However when I suffer a spike, sleeping does become more difficult as the sound is more noticeable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Sooner Arrow
      Cheerful

Sooner Arrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How do I know when I find it? Does the generated tone cancel out the other T tone? My T is so loud that it buries other sound.

14. Jake007

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Try to find the same pitch

15. Redcps

Redcps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I've had Tinnitus for over 35 years. I use a white noise machine every night to sleep (even have a portable for traveling). I plugged into a timer. It is the only way I can relax and go to sleep. I highly recommend. I've seen in the Hammacker Schleimer (sp?) book. I hope this helps someone.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AWilson32

AWilson32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphone use
      Glad to report the spike has settled and T is softer for now. Thanks for all those who offered support.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      The biggest thing i avoid these days is my CELL PHONE. if i spend even 5 minutes on my cell phone, under the wrong circumstances
      i pay the price for about 2 1/2 days.

I'm 4 years now. and T. 99% gone

AWilson, your original post intrigued me. So i thought i'd post.

18. ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

ChrisfromCanada Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      99% gone? I envy you but wish you all the best :)

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AWilson32

AWilson32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphone use
      Another relapse.

Had a spike (no apparent cause) on Weds that meant I was up all night. Have had a couple of decent night's sleep but tonight its been unbearable.

Have tried various white noise sounds to allow me to at least mask it so I can sleep but I can't find one that does the job.

Either the sounds are too intrusive preventing me from relaxing to sleep or doesn't mask the tinnitus.

Its now more high pitched and I feel miserable I've had another setback after a few good months.