Struggling

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ãlex68788998, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Ãlex68788998
      Confused

Ãlex68788998 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1-16-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a head cold
      I still have this annoying ringing which I always hear. After 1.5 my faith of it going away is 0. I cry everyday because it's so annoying. If I got it when I was way older I'll understand that but I'm a teenager and I just can't handle this. My best guess was when I got a cold and that's when it started. Life is very bad for me right now and I just want to hear silence again but that may never happn again. A lot of you sufferers are way older than me but could handle it better because your mental strength is better. Well only time I'll tell if it's here to stay.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey Alex,

I feel for you mate, You need to find ways to distract yourself from it as much as you can… Take up new hobbies, go walk about, try new sports and activities and I am sure the less you focus on it the less you will feel it… I do yoga, swimming and indoor rock climbing to keep myself off it, and it works wonders…

Try to look at the bright side and take strength in the fact that people at your age tend to habituate much faster than older people if they manage the anxiety attached to it… So I am confident that you will habituate very fast and try to protect your ears from now on..

All the best and keep us updated !!

Ciao !! Lorenzo

• Like Like x 2
    3. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Alex
      Yes, I can relate. When I got T (2 yrs ago) it took me to my knees and I couldn't imagine living the rest of my life (much less one more day) with the ringing in my ears.

Take heart!

Worst case scenario is that you have permanent T; even so, it is very livable (even though that seems absolutely impossible to believe right now -- it is true). You can have a happy, healthy, full life in spite of T.

It may not be permanent. I had a buddy (older than you) that had T for 5 months and it went away. You mention you are a teen and can't imagine living the rest of your life with T; so you are looking at the many years ahead of you. Remember, you are young; you can heal far better then us old crusties; this T may not be permanent.

Either way, DO NOT PANIC; do the best you can to relax (and get some sleep). Are you able to mask your T? If yes, do that at night and get some sleep. Work on simply relaxing as best you can; right now your brain has been sent into high-anxiety mode by this strange (annoying) sound; your brain will calm down and you will calm down -- it gets better. Just do your level best to relax and not react to it; and to get some sleep.

The first step and best way to calm down in this situation is to work on accepting the situation (I so hated it, but I had to accept it); accept that it may be permanent or it may go away (just accept it). When you accept your situation (not like your situation, just accept it), you start to relax and not react to it so much. I still don't like my T but I've accepted it and no longer react to it.

Work on that first and then press on to some of the T management techniques (masking, diet, exercise, et al).

Keep coming back to the site; great folks here to help you.

Mark

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      T might go away on its own.. so hang in there. After 2 years the chances are less of T going away, but even Dr. Nagler has seen cases of T going away after many years.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Hang in there. It could well get better, or even go. Personally, with you just 6 weeks in, I would look at HBOT. It has proven results inside 3 months, and even some success after this.

• Like Like x 1
    6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Hi Alex, don't worry too much. Your T is new and you are young. You can positively look at it that T may just fade over time as a young body can probably adapt and adjust and heal better than the older folks. Perhaps you can relate to this young member of 17 years old who has already written his success story. So don't worry about the future. Just focus on the present and keep it positive. One day at a time. Here is the link to the story of the 17 years old Zach:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/fake-it-until-you-make-it.7590/

And then there is Georgia whose T started at 8 or 9 years old and she has posted her success story here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-life-now-and-my-story.8360/

So being young with T is not necessarily meaning you will suffer for the rest of your young life. If you remove that fearful and distorted thought (called cognitive distortion of 'Catastrophic Thinking') from your mind, then you will be less stressful, which then can help you habituate to your T much faster. Take care and God bless your recovery.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      If your T is from a cold, then don't worry. The chances of it going away are higher.
      As long as your inner ear hair cells are good and you don't have any type of head injury, or noise induced Tinnitus, you are in a better position than most of us on this forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I agree with ricky, just give it time alex. Distract yourself with activities and protect your ears in loud places.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      not to forget there are cures on the way ... If you can wait the time I already have T - 5 years, i`m 99 percent sure some relief will make it easier for you. That is IF it has n`t left you by then. Be smart and live healthy, stay away from noisy places or at least protect your ears ... enjoy life as much as it is possible ... and one day, soon or later, you will see that what all the old guys here told you came true! ..

best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ãlex68788998
      Confused

Ãlex68788998 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1-16-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a head cold
      Thanks for all the support and I also don't have hearing loss so it couldn't be noice induced because the doctor told me it can only be noice induced if you have hearing loss. He said give it time time there can still be fluid from the cold. I'll keep you guys updated, thanks for the support

11. Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      I'm with these guys 100%. You can get used to it and it may go away. I'm not as bad off as they are ether. I just don't have enough information on what mine is and what to expect. Iv also been told I have a panic disorder so that doesn't help me much ether. But I'm going to a speshelest soon and hopefully he can tell me more and then I too will be like everyone else on hear. Check the success stories. They have a way of raising your spirits.

12. RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Hey man, I'm there with you. I've had my T since I was 15, and I'm 20 now. I have recently gotten new T in my left ear, but have long since habituated to my right ear. If it doesn't go away in my left ear (which started after I had a cold recently) then I will just do the same as I did with my right ear. It may take another 5 years, but so be it, right?

• Like Like x 2