Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Kathi, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Hi Dr. Nagler!

First, I want to thank you for all your good advice. I am doing very well! I'm living my life and working--also enjoying riding motorcycles again--with ear plugs at 33 protection and a new helmet that covers my ears, along with a full face shield that cuts down on the wind within the helmet. I rode a few times in September with not even a spike. I do hear my tinnitus more with my ear protection but it didn't bother me. It was just so wonderful to do what I love.

This is the reason I write: We have already paid (in 2013--before my onset) for a campground at Sturgis. It is one of the largest motorcycle rallies in the states--and this is the 75th anniversary. We've been twice before and my husband and I just love it. I'm thinking that as long as I wear my ear protection and helmet that I'll be fine but I am a little afraid. I've told my husband that I may need to limit the time that I am around many motorcycles and that I need to keep my ears protected. He understands that I will not attend the riding events that are scheduled because there are too many motorcycles, but that I will ride into town and go on short rides. Do you think that this will cause any permanent damage? I also must add that I am 62 years old and got tinnitus from HF hearing loss due to aging. Stress was also a factor as I almost lost my spouse to a medical condition and then lost our business in a hurricane.

I haven't been on site too much lately as I read your post about obstacles to habituation--being here really does make me think about my tinnitus--but in the scheme of things sometimes I do need to think about it so I don't cause more damage.

Thanks for all your help!

Kathi

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @Kathi -

Go to the rally with your ear protection and helmet ... and have a blast!

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1