Sub-Cutaneous Lidocaine

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Matchbox, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      IV Lidocaine seems to be the only thing in literature that states without a doubt has some effect on tinnitus... whether that's negative (seems like 20% of cases) or positive (80%).

No doctor I've spoken to wants to try IV Lidocaine where it would be "temporary and not worth the risk".

The cost is also very high to do privately, and can only be done via Pain Clinics.

That said, sub-cutaneous is also an option and I've read a fair bit about it and the effects seem on par and way safer than IV Lidocaine, and actually effective compared to dermal absorption. Injection would be behind the ear cartilage.

Has anyone tried this? And if so, what's your tinnitus cause and what does it sound like? How "temporary" was the effect?

This seems cheaper and something that could be done once a month so to speak, right now, that might actually work.

I will be pushing to try this shortly myself, but feedback from others "like me" would be helpful, namely having really bad bilateral wavering or jittering sound effects in the morning post-silence, or yawning and hearing "Twaaaaaang" whilst doing so at any period (note yawning and flutter or high ringing doesn't apply to my case).

I have normal ringing but that generally doesn't bother me (generally...)

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. ploughna

ploughna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      motor racing and power tools
      Would a dentist be qualified (or could be trained) to do it? (My brother is a dentist ;)

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Yup. Maybe not in the ear but they use it for root canals and tooth extractions. I'd suppose it'd be close enough to be similar (that's a nerve block as opposed to subcutaneous).

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      No one did this? I am desperate to try anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. ErikaS

ErikaS Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/Ultra High Frequency SSHL in Right Ear
      Interesting, although I feel like up against the ear drum would not suffice and I would need the Lidocaine right in my inner ear! Lol.

I have looked into neural therapy, which is injecting a local anesthetic, mainly Procaine or Lidocaine, into peripheral nerves, autonomic ganglia, etc. to treat chronic nerve pain and reset the autonomic system response in these areas where trauma or injury has occurred and has created disturbances in the electrochemical function. There was a study on this with tinnitus back in 1983 but I can't get anything past the abstract.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I don't buy much into this at all but it's a study so deserves its place. Just like stimulating the ear canal with electric I think is too far from the source.

If we only posted studies we personally liked, the research threads would be shorter.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Does this mean you don't have much hope for Dr. Shore?

I am also not as enthusiastic as some here, I find it incredibly hard to believe that a bit of low current combined with a sound will alleviate the diesel generator I hear in my head, but who knows which types of tinnitus it may or may not help. We'll have to see what it does in the wild.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I have hope because the clinical trials showed it works in a subset of patients. It's not just the sound component, it is the timing between that and specifically placed electrodes that's important.

10. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Well this clinical trial finished 6 months ago.