Sublingual Fish Oil (or Omega 3's) for Depression and Energy?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Jun 22, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Has anyone taken fish oil under the tongue?

I took just a bit under my tongue and ate some carbohydrates tonight and felt really well fairly quickly afterward.

I had more energy too. It wasn't one of those feelings of "happy for no reason" which is good. I was feeling kind of down in the afternoon before I took it.

This was not fish oil in a softgel - I opened up a very small softgel (smaller than the norm) and poured out the oil and then put some in my mouth but did not swallow. I heard things can be more potent if you take them sublingual - more bioavailability and faster acting.

I know my klonopin is this way too. Maybe this was just a coincidence. If someone is already normal and has a normal amount of energy I'm not sure if they would notice it.

I would love feedback on this if I can get it. I did not take much fish oil and I'm not sure if it is safe to take a lot this way.

• Like Like x 1
    2. NatWilson

NatWilson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've recently read that omega 3 and fish oil have some connection to lessening the symptoms of tinnitus.

Has anyone else tried this? After suffering from tinnitus for around a year, I'm hoping to try various methods to see if they have any effect on my symptoms.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      So does it take away your depression and energy or give you depression and energy?

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Try curcumin and spirulina supplements.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Where have you read that?

6. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Apparently the Arches formula page (which I am not sure I can link) has some text on this. It refers to these papers:

[1] Quick Statistics Compiled by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD). http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/statistics/quick.htm

[2] Gopinath B, Flood VM, Rochtchina E, McMahon CM, Mitchell P. Consumption of omega-3 fatty acids and fish and risk of age-related hearing loss. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Aug;92(2):416-21.

[3] Dullemeijer C, Verhoef P, Brouwer IA, Kok FJ, Brummer RJ, Durga J. Plasma very long-chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and age-related hearing loss in older adults. J Nutr Health Aging. 2010 May;14(5):347-51.

[4] Farzaneh-Far R, Lin J, Espel ES, et al. Association of Marine Omega-3 Fatty Acid Levels with Telomeric Abing in Patients with Coronary Heart Disease, JAMA 2010, Vol. 303, Issue 3, PP 250-257.

I haven't checked the studies though.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I tried taking 3-4 fish oil capsules daily in the hopes it might improve my tinnitus (I had read at least one testimonial where it had helped another person). I can't say that I noticed anything, and now take just a single capsule per day for other benefits associated with fish oil.

However, I also tried taking fairly large amounts of Chia Seeds, which also have high levels of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Whenever I do, I seem to notice a modest diminution of my tinnitus intensity. It's possible my tinnitus volume doesn't decrease, but that my neurological system is given a boost by the Omega 3"s, and I'm able to deal with the tinnitus intensity somewhat better.

I think the best odds for improving my ability to deal with tinnitus--or even eliminate it--is going to be from a combination of many small to tiny things that ever so modestly make a difference. Such as massaging my ears, doing Intermittent Fasting, Self-Acupuncture, Reflexology, Vagus Nerve Stimulation, many different types of Energetic Techniques, and about a 100+ other things.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Well, marketing material isn't particularly trustworthy.
      None of these studies seem to validate the claim either (which is that it lessens tinnitus symptoms).

9. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Indeed, they seem to refer to hearing loss so the link with tinnitus is indirect at best.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Just another data point. I took Omega 3 fish oil of different varieties and dosage and it did nothing for my tinnitus. Currently I don't take it. Maybe on rare occasion it can help an individual, but I am highly doubtful.