Such a Maddening Malady...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hadassah, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Hadassah
      Bookworm

Hadassah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello - I'm a 54 yo woman and am new to this support group.

I've suffered with tinnitus since last summer (2016) and it has continually gotten worse.

I've gotten hearing aids which create another frequency to help reduce the intensity of the tinnitus and it has helped some, but I'm still struggling with it. In speaking with others who have tinnitus, it seems like mine may be louder and more problematic than theirs, so I guess it varies in intensity and frequency.

Mine sounds like screaming locusts all the time ... very difficult and now interfering with my sleep.

I'm a licensed professional counselor, and am using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy techniques to help alleviate the sense of panic/anxiety I sometimes feel. It is frequently helpful, but not always. I know I need to be diligent in implementing the techniques ... replacing thoughts that lead to anxiety, using positive self-talk, and focusing on things within my control.

I thank you for any suggestions or encouragement.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hi @Hadassah

I like what you said. I agree, it is madding. My also screams! People that don't go thru this, I’m not sure they understand how bad T can be. Anyway I was accused of negative thinking lately in my personal relationships along with a period of high anxiety. Yes, I'm going to the doctor. And you say thoughts can lead to anxiety, see I can learn something. Welcome to the forum, thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
    3. bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS
      Buzzed

bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      soundwaves, transformers, vibrations, sirens, decibels, life
      Be strong and hang in there. I hope it gets better for you and easier to deal with. I am not negating behavioral therapy, merely sharing my own experience...I have done multiple sessions with a therapist, and did my best to use the tools I was given. Ultimately since I can't fool myself into the tinnitus not being there it did not help me. The only way I really ever feel better about my T is knowing that I have had moments or periods of acceptance where I can listen to it and felt okay...then I think of those moments when I am having a hard time. I feel good when I have more of those moments of acceptance, but they are not that often. It is truly hard when T has gotten worse and you long for the days where it was different and not as bad. I guess a number of people face this thing. I wish there was something we could do about it. I wish we all had a volume knob for our tinnitus. Stay cool Hadassah.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      @Hadassah trust me you are not the only one, there lots of members who suffer Just like you but many have habituated and help others with hope.
      Do you have hearing loss?
      Dom

• Like Like x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Hadassah
      I have written an article on tinnitus that you might find helpful. Please click on the link below. If you wish, I can send it to you by email in PDF format with colour illustration of the ear. Just send your email to me in PM.
      All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hadassah
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been to an ENT and an Audiologist in the past few months and discovered that I have a significant hearing loss with high frequency sound. It's ironic that my hearing loss is high frequency and yet, that is what My T is. My Audiologist theorized that the T may be the result of my brain attempting to recover the frequency of sound that I have lost. I find that to be very interesting ... I compare it to an amputee who experiences phantom pain.

Thank You, everyone, for the encouragement. I'm happy to have found this support group and believe it will be helpful, particularly in the more difficult "T moments".

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If it is hearing loss that is causing your tinnitus then your Audiologist is correct @Hadassah. When you are fitted with a hearing aid/s then your tinnitus will reduce in time and hopefully you will habituate. I suggest that you use a sound machine by your bedside at night or attach it to a pillow speaker. More is explained in my article.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hadassah
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you very much, Michael. I read your article and found it to be very helpful. I look forward to following the forums here to gain additional insight, and hope I am able to contribute, as well.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind comments @Hadassah and wish you well for the future.
      Michael