Sudafed Lowers the Volume of My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Hotrock, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Hotrock

Hotrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have had tinnitus for the past 3 months and it's been loud and relentless.

One of the only things I can take that seem to help has been the decongestant Sudafed. For me this seems to lower the volume right down on my high pitched tinnitus, but not on the low pitched hum that is in my right ear. That remains the same volume.

Sudafed works by reducing the size of the tiny blood vessels in the ear and nose, I'm wondering if my tinnitus is vascular as recently I was told I have high blood pressure.

Does Sudafed work for anyone else?

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    2. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      My high pitched ringing tinnitus has made a huge comeback so I'm definitely giving this a try.

I used a PDE inhibitor and the ringing came on within hours, and hasn't backed down at all a week later.

• Creative Creative x 1
    3. Shelbylynn
      Amused

Shelbylynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/lifelong music abuse
      I have high blood pressure and terrible allergies so I use Sudafed only ocassionally since it’s not good for people with high BP to take.

My tinnitus has never changed with Sudafed, only made it louder actually, but temporarily while I’m taking it.

4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Get the old ring ring to your pulse too like me on it?

All I have to do is get my pulse to zero and it'll stop I guess ;p

• Genius Genius x 1
    5. Frayact

Frayact Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I also have a low-pitched hum in addition to a high-pitched hissing noise. I habituated to the hissing over 20 years ago, but the hum has never been welcome. It's put me through bouts of depression I can't even begin to describe. I've been on Lexapro for 15 years, and that seems to have helped me. But the humming still comes and goes (it came back a week ago after being gone for several years).

I've never tried Sudafed for tinnitus, but when I first contracted this affliction in 1996, I tried almost everything you can imagine. I also had three MRI's and countless hearing and auditory exams, but everything came back normal.

I just hope this recent relapse is temporary so I can get back to living again. I'm 61 and don't want to spend my final years feeling hopeless.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. Joey72
      Approved

Joey72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, neck arthritis, combat.
      Sudafed always has spiked my tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Joey72 -- Possibly because it's an anticholinergic drug. A single dose of an anticholinergic drug Promethazine gave me my tinnitus four years ago. I would urge caution to anyone considering using a drug with this classification. I read one account of a man who took a single dose of Benadryl (most cold medications are anticholinergic). It gave him tinnitus, and four years later, still had it.

8. Joey72
      Approved

Joey72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, neck arthritis, combat.
      I probably gave myself tinnitus because I took so much of the stuff for my chronic sinus and allergy problems, but then again I have TMJ so who knows?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Bodycount2022
      Ape-like

Bodycount2022 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Same here, 1 dose Zopiclone gave me new electric tinnitus :(

How do you cope with your tinnitus and does it also get worse day by day?

10. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Since I'll try anything, I have just purchased and taken the Sudafed Compound.

I was surprised that, because of the number of reports of meth being made from this, I had to show my Driver's License and have that information entered into the pharmacy computer.

I'll let you know if it altered my tinnitus in any way (because of typically Spring-like oscillating weather pressure fronts, that and my Migraines have laid a merciless siege to my better nature).

11. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      So lately I’ve been having severe allergies and the only thing that’s helped is Sudafed.

But now my left ear has started ringing. I suspect it’s due to allergies. Hopefully it calms eventually. I’m not used to the weird single pure tone. :(

12. kmiki

kmiki Member

Tinnitus Since:
      other symptoms, not tinnitus
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Bodycount2022, may I ask, did you get better?

• Useful Useful x 1