Sudden Deafness Episodes for a Few Seconds?!

Discussion in 'Support' started by HanaK, Dec 14, 2018.

1. HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      Lately I've noticed that my right ear will suddenly have a low 'thud' noise before going completely deaf almost for a few seconds then returning to what I believe is normal? It's different from my fleeting tinnitus that I sometimes get. It's almost as if someone flicked off a switch and shutdown my ear for a few seconds. I already have hearing loss so I can't really gauge if my current level of hearing is "normal" or not...

I heard that this is a real medical emergency known as sudden sensorineural hearing loss, but I can still hear out of my ear. This usually happens when I'm laying down on my bed with my laptop, or just sitting on a chair watching something on my electronic devices.

My parents say it's because I use my eyes too much and because I don't exercise enough...

Maybe the position I lay/sit in is affecting my blood circulation to my ear or something?

I'm not sure if I should visit an ENT/audiologist or not because I'm scared the tests they'll do may damage my ears further.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Yoshi
      Wishful

Yoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones, Bus Braking, Burping (air enters ear canal)

My left ear has a habit of suddenly going fully quiet to the sound of a loud screech, it usually returns within a few seconds. I almost guarantee you the ENT or audiologist will tell you there's nothing to worry about and that it happens to them as well, but better to be safe than sorry.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      My ear has actually been doing something similar as well so now im wondering if i should get it tested. I thought it was fleeting tinnitus i couldnt hear.

• Like Like x 1
    6. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I have something similar. A moment of deafness and vertigo, after which tinnitus and hearing resumes normally. I can't really decide whether this is a different thing than fleeting tinnitus, or is just a fleeting tinnitus that's not audible. I noticed that this sometimes signals a change in tinnitus - for example when a loud but non-damaging noise has temporarily excited it, I usually get this weird deaf moment when the T returns to the baseline. I've had episodes of this for many years and no adverse effects. In fact I associate pleasant feelings to it because it often signals a reduction in T.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      This happens to me usually when I have a cold or allergies. If your hearing returns after a few seconds, it’s not a medical emergency. Sudden sensorineural hearing loss occurs when you suddenly lose at least three consecutive hearing frequencies and they do not return. Unfortunately I have experience with this.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      I was lying in bed this evening and had a sudden deaf incident in my right ear. It was oddly not unpleasant, if that makes sense. It only lasted for about 15 seconds.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      this happens to me. I feel it is either ETD or something to do with the muscle in the ear spasming.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      My ear spasmed when it went deaf the other night for a few seconds. I put it down to possible TMJ because my jaw and neck were hurting a little.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I also have TMJ I really need to get a mouth guard.

12. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Sorry to hear that, Tinker Bell. May the bimodal stuff and FX-322 relieve and then cure you ASAP.

How does SSHL feel from the "inside"? I recently spent a whole day freaking out that I have SSHL and analyzing my hearing in every possible way. It was just an anxiety attack but I would like to be prepared if the real thing ever comes. Is it obvious right away, or is it a slower process that creeps on you?

13. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      I need to as well just havent gotten around to going to the dentist to get it checked or fitted for one.

14. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      For me, it was immediately obvious. There was no doubt. I was working on my computer in my quiet home, and one moment I could fully hear in both ears and the next I could only hear with one ear and had loud tinnitus in the other ear.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      I just had another episode of sudden deafness happen today right when I rested my hand under my jaw lol. Maybe TMJ really is causing some of these problems.

16. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Yes I do, sometimes. Not the thud though. It does seem different to fleeting tinninus. I also think it's something to do with the middle ear muscles and bones kind of 'disengaging' so to speak from what they're meant to do i.e. conduct sound to the cochlea. Could be a number of things triggering it. It's pretty unsettling to suddenly go deaf in one ear with just ringing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. ors1992

ors1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am experiencing something similar to what you were describing in your OP.

Frequency is like 3-7x per day.
      Did you figure anything out?

Best