Sudden, Like an Explosion, Increase in Tinnitus — Could Aleve (NSAID) Be the Culprit?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by David42, Dec 7, 2021.

1. David42

David42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Age 73, retired.

I have had extremely mild tinnitus for some time. Hardly noticeable, never paid any attention to it. Most ofthe time I did not 'hear' it. But on November 17, 2021 at night, the tinnitus suddenly exploded. Huge increase in volume. High constant tone in my head. I freaked out since I did not know what was happening to me. I had been on Aleve, a NSAID, for some time for back pain. Quick research indicated that NSAIDs can trigger tinnitus. Was this my problem? Stopped the medication.

Went to audiologist for hearing exam. Hearing is in normal range with some loss at very high frequency. Hearing aids not recommended.

Went to ENT - did not find problems with my left ear where the tinnitus is from.

Going back to ENT because my left ear feels very 'full' with occasional very mild pain.

My BIG PROBLEM is that I want to work with a medical professional on my problem and I cannot find one in my area - Roanoke VA.

I feel very alone. I don't want to burden my wife with my problems. But so far the tinnitus is causing huge disruption in my life.

Not sure what to do next.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Ear fullness and ear pain may suggest fluid build up from some infection or ETD. Perhaps get another ENT to check again. In the meantime try masking the tinnitus if it bothers you too much. You can download many tinnitus masking apps on your phone and perhaps play it with a Bluetooth speaker.

Take care. Best wishes. God bless your recovery.

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I'm pretty sure I read NSAIDs increase TNF-alpha, which is a driver of neuroinflammation.

There are threads on Tinnitus Talk about a trial done on mice found elevated levels of TNF-alpha in the auditory parts of the brain and the cochlea in mice with induced hearing loss and tinnitus.

So, if I were you; alongside trialing some anti oxidants, I'd be considering ways to lower TNF-alpha.

LDN (Low-Dose Naltrexone) and Curcumin lower TNF-alpha (have a look at the threads on Tinnitus Talk).

Biological immune modulators are known to also lower TNF-alpha. There is a trial using Enbrel I believe in an attempt to lower it.

I think I also read that NSAIDs deplete Zinc. Maybe you could consider this.