Sudden Onset of Fluctuating Pulsatile Tinnitus — Yawning Can Stop It for a Few Seconds

Discussion in 'Support' started by EddyLee, Jan 19, 2024.

1. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi all. I had a sudden onset of pulsatile tinnitus just 2 days ago. It started at night when I was trying to sleep. It's like I suddenly can hear my own heartbeat with my left ear. Today it stopped for a few hours and then came back again. I notice whenever I yawn, it will go away for a few seconds. I wonder what that means...

I have had normal tinnitus for years and it has kind of subsided to the background and doesn't bother me anymore but this new pulsatile tinnitus is causing me distress again :(

2. Supersix
      Balanced

Supersix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss ETD Left Ear,Profound hearing loss R
      Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, it will subside. Lay off the salt and fried foods, and start eating greens.

• Like Like x 1
    3. kadster65

kadster65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Your pattern sounds very similar to my own. I've had ringing/hissing, mostly in my left ear, for about 7 years now. but last Summer, I suddenly developed pulsatile tinnitus on top of that. I went to my ENT and he ran a test to rule out a type of benign tumor that can be a cause. Then I went for a CT scan to check for any vascular anomalies. No issues detected with either test. As you can imagine, all this gets expensive after a while.

Others here recommend visiting a neuro-interventional radiologist, as pulsatile tinnitus is not like "normal" tinnitus at all and more than likely is something vascular. I've requested a referral from my regular doctor for that.

Best of luck to you. If you haven't noticed, there is a forum category here especially for sufferers of pulsatile tinnitus. You may find some additional helpful advice there, or support, at the very least.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My pulsatile tinnitus completely stopped a couple days after I posted this thread.

But then today it came back intermittently for a brief few minutes and is now gone again.

Wondering if mine is caused by Eustachian tubes since yawning affects it.

• Like Like x 1