Sudden Onset Tinnitus with Pre-Existing Bad Hyperacusis and Misophonia: Calcium Overdose? Stress?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Roserosie, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Roserosie

Roserosie Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,

I’ve been lurking on the forum for a month now and appreciate all your advice and comments. I really need some help/encouragement.

My life is spiralling out of control very quickly because of the distress. In all other respects apart from this illness my life is very beautiful and I am extremely lucky - but even so it is hard to stay positive and my anxiety is stratospheric.

I have sudden onset tinnitus (that is often very loud and I can’t mask it) that hasn’t stopped and has been getting worse over the last month. The night before onset I had terrible reflux. Took way too many Quick-Eze (OTC calcium based antacid) and I also sipped bicarb soda water. Was taking vitamin D supplements at the time. So possibly gave myself a calcium overdose. Thinking this could have been the cause...

I woke up with a sore throat only on my right side and a swelling in my neck but that quickly went but the the ringing started in my right ear. Up all night sweating and shaking and feeling freezing. Thought I was dying probably was a panic attack. Took myself to get tested for coronavirus the next day. Nervous wreck. Negative.

Saw an ENT who said it was a virus. Gave me prednisone but on 25mg for a few days. They gave me Valium to help me sleep and I have taken it 5 times and it has never worked - actually made me more anxious?! Using hypnosis to fall asleep now and sometimes it works - and I get a few hours. Melatonin made me fall asleep for an hour and then up for the rest of the night.

I think the tinnitus could be stress induced (shaking uncontrollably a lot and diarrhoea the night before and ever since, I can hardly eat and have lost a lot of weight, am constantly cold) but I have had hyperacusis (though I didn’t know it) with loud sounds and some misophonia for the past year. I was working as a gardener for one year (now resigned) so was exposed to loud noises but always wore earplugs but now I’m scared I didn’t have them in properly often as I have very small ears. I would get occasional temporary tinnitus after I used a leaf blower for instance. So noise damage is definitely part of it. Audiology results came back good for my age (31) with a very slight bilateral notch at 6000K. Who knows it was very hard to hear the test over my tinnitus.

Now the hyperacusis is very bad - quiet conversations are painful and I get fullness/fluttering, I have to use earplugs in the shower (very bad increase in tinnitus otherwise). My tinnitus seems to mimic white noise sounds - for instance the whirring of a washing machine or beeping sounds or crickets for quite a while afterwards as well but mainly it is very high pitchy buzzing sounds that makes me feel like my head is vibrating.

I was mildly dizzy (but not like head spinning vertigo) for 2 weeks. But thankfully that is almost all gone. Also I had this awful numb tingling feeling on the side of my head next to my right ear but that is MUCH better. Must remember some things are getting better.

Until today I thought the hyperacusis was improving a lot - but on going to the Physio and being in so much pain from his voice I realise I was just getting much better a staying away from noise and keeping things quiet.

Interestingly (kiss the ground, hallelujah for some respite) my tinnitus is much fainter first thing in the morning. Sometimes this lasts for even 30 minutes, but as soon as I start making sounds (turn on the tap etc) tones get added until by the 10am its a loud cacophony. Is it really reactive like this or is it just stress? Sometimes I have woken in the middle of the night and have hardly heard it as well. These are the happiest moments.

Below is a stupid amount of questions. I’m sorry! I have a Skype appointment with audiologist Myriam Westcott but not for another month so I would really love some answers in the meantime.

QUESTIONS:

1. ENT has given me AVAMYS spray. Which is fluticasone furoate. I have been too scared to use it as some reported worsening/causing tinnitus. Do you think it might help? I have no nasal congestion and can open my Eustachian tubes fine.

2. Do you think it would be worthwhile taking a higher dose of prednisone? I don’t believe the lower dose improved it...

3. If conversations hurt - should I wear earplugs/muffs?

4. Weirdly talking/being spoken to lying down seems to make the hyperacusis worse and I get more fluttering. Also bending over seems to make me more sensitive to sounds. Anyone have any idea?

5. I am trying to do the “Back to Silence” method. As I think my main problem right now is I am constantly checking/monitoring listening and thinking about the tinnitus. Does anyone have any tips to break the cycle. Booked in to see a psychologist but she can’t see me until August. My back is really sore and I can’t do things I normally would to distract myself as I can’t sit down for long periods etc or do gardening. I can’t mask it And rain, water sounds/music irritate my ears quickly. Has anyone tried the elastic band method?

6. How can I wash my hair without Foam earplugs getting wet? (Waiting on customer made silicone ones to arrive) I have really long hair. Any tips? I can’t have baths at the moment as my back is too sore and also scared to get water in the ears.

7. Are there any earmuffs that do a good job of reducing by say 10-15 decibels (across all frequencies or especially high frequencies) like musician earplugs? I hate how loud my tinnitus is with really high attenuation.

8. Does the much quieter tinnitus in the morning mean silence is good for my ears. That they want the rest from sound? Or is it just my stress levels levels are lower?

9. Previously walking beside cars hurt but now it doesn’t but I am scared it could be too loud anyway? Should I wear earmuffs?

I really need positivity right now so please don’t post if you have some depressing view. I’m on the edge here.

Many thanks for reading.

2. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi Rosie - we are here for you, all over the world, anytime of day. I know how distressing this condition is and the mental anguish is excruciating I fully understand.

Perhaps just now whilst your anxiety is very high keep some background noise going - whatever you like - so you aren’t in complete silence.

High stress levels really play around negatively with this condition. If you can get that better under control, you will find your strength.

Keep in touch on here and let us know how you are going.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I didn't have a great experience with Avamys, so I would not recommend it. Certainly, you will hear better (specially louder) if you use Avamys, as it unblocks the nose fast, but maybe that's not what you want if you have tinnitus or hyperacusis.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roserosie

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Juan,
      Thanks for letting me know. I have no nasal congestion. So I suppose that's why I am more skeptical about using it. Unless it will be like directing a steroid at the inner ear?

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Are you comfortable posting your audiogram? (blank out any personal info)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roserosie

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Sophie, I really appreciate it. I even think just writing this out and feeling acknowledged has helped. Finding it hard to loved ones because they don't really understand and also are so tressed at seeing me so sick and not being able to doing anything to help.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roserosie

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Greg, thank you

They haven't sent it to me, but I have just requested it to be emailed so will post when I receive it.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roserosie

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @GregCA My audiogram - they only tested very quiet sounds because of the hyperacusis.

Attached Files:

9. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      No. Avamys just helps to clear a blocked nose.

• Winner Winner x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roserosie

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Greg- anything to note from my audiogram?

Thanks for you help.